Thermoquad race tune

-
71duster06, from what I can tell after watching the car launch, the 2ndary air door may need adjusting, see your pm's.

Here are the areas I covered in your pm I sent:

1st pic, air door slack,

2nd pic, adjusting pull-off linkage for air door slack.

Attachments

• DSC00091.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 943
  • DSC00092.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 920
71duster06, from what I can tell after watching the car launch, the 2ndary air door may need adjusting, see your pm's.

1st pic, air door slack,

Great. Go to have pictures as a reference.

Also, acc. pumps should have a full shot of gas on both sides correct? In a previous post i mentioned that the passenger side is a full shot but on the drivers side it doesnt have near the velocity..... any thoughts on this?

The last 340 I had ended up liking 22* initial, but it had a big solid cam in it.

I agree with the intial advance, and also tighten the secondary air door up. Does the accelerator pump rod have different holes? If so, try the hole that gives the biggest/longest shot possible.

As for massaging the airways, I never took pics, but I can take some. Pretty simple, same thing that has been done on carb limited combos. Thin the throttleblade shafts, thin the throttleblades, thin out the boosters, clean up the entrances in the choke tower (not allowed to remove it in FAST) etc....

Great. Go to have pictures as a reference.

Also, acc. pumps should have a full shot of gas on both sides correct? In a previous post i mentioned that the passenger side is a full shot but on the drivers side it doesnt have near the velocity..... any thoughts on this?

Yes. This is problem. Gas should come out both sides in a good stream. This failure is causing a lean condition and your lack luster off the line performance.

After that is fixed, then from there, more tuning can be done.

Ok. ill check these out as well...

I was pretty cautious with the timing to avoid major detonation... ill keep tweaking the timing too...

As a general rule of thumb when you advance the timing if the engine idle increases it wants the timing.

Well everyone. Thanks again for all the help.

The Duster is taking a back seat for a bit. Installing a new furnace and pellet stove in the house and have a heck of a long list for the house before the weather gets too bad. Im hoping to get back to the track in September and continue to tune the TQ. If timing doesnt work out I will have to resurrect this thread in the Spring.

Talk to you all soon!

Slight update....

Found that the existing distributor that I have been using is almost 40 years old. I have been looking for a while for an electronic conversion kit for the spring time. Combination of the existing dist. being worn out along with tweaking the T-Q will help my 60 ft times.

Baby coming now so im "hoping" to be able to get going on the Duster this spring.... but we shall see.

The newer Mopar Perf. distributor are very tunable. Or you could pick up a MSD distributor.

1st pic, air door slack,

X2....No slack....He told me to do this to mine as I was having the same problem and it runs awesome now.....When I checked it while idling, there was no slack in secondary plate....it was tight against the top.....I think because I put a new pulloff on and linkage got bent...once I cricked the linkage to get a little play it was awesome...that was last year and it has been running awesome ever since....thanks again David

Side note question. I'm running a spread-to-square bore adaptor right now too. Any performance concern with this? It's on an LD340 intake. Ive read too that I should cut out the divider in the intake too. Recommendations?
I was hoping to still run the adaptor but cut it with the intake for a much more gradual transition. Anyways just another thought.

Everything has been said so I will not add my .02. I must say though that I will never give up my TQ again! I have the best luck with it because whenever I try another carb on my 318 the TQ always outperforms it in every aspect. For instance the fuel mileage, when I had a 750 DP on it I was spending $20 a day in fuel, almost double what the TQ would do. The TQ also got my 318 into the 12's.

I just need to find some parts so I can fix her up, my high flow needle and seats are leaking and also need to do an overall rebuild.

Sorry. Late last night so i wasnt to clear.

Currently the T-Q is on a stock LD340 intake with the use of an aluminum adaptor (Spread-to-square). I have cleaned up the adaptor to have a smooth transition but it still only gives 1" to reduce the 850 down. My thought was to leave the adaptor on the intake but cut a nice long transition for a more gradual transition. I know you can modify the LD340 so the T-Q can bolt on directly but this spacer does help a litle bit for heat. Anyways just wondering if anyone has done anything like this or not.... Pics help

Ha ha ha, nice thread. I like the guy that said "I stole this from the net"
It's my picture of my stuff. Fastnos posted here for awhile. I think he is a MIA member these days.

Ha ha ha, nice thread. I like the guy that said "I stole this from the net"
It's my picture of my stuff. Fastnos posted here for awhile. I think he is a MIA member these days.

You should have him add a source page with your name then...haha

Hoping to get this thread up and running again once april/may comes along to do some more 1/4 mile test/tune and try some of these recommendations......

Nope, it resides on my garage wall. The TQ resides on a shelf.
The engine it is slated for resides in my Cuda for now.

Are you welding the divider wall back in? I have toyed with the idea but ended up purchasing another intake instead. IIRC, Mr. Gasket sells adapters that have a plenum divider plate that is removable and are TQ friendly. I thought about getting one a d just bolting it down with the plate in use of course to bring back the true dual plane aspect of the intake with the additional height of the spacer. It would a out equal the RPM in height.

Re drilling the head is the way to go.

i loved my TQ when it wasnt leaking like a sieve, main well crossovers would always seep into the primary bores after shut-down. however when it ran right, it ran amazingly. currently i have a friend of mine who works at a custom plastic machining shop making a program on CAD to machine new main bodies. hoping itll turn out good so we can get the finished product underway. the problem is the material the factory used is wicked expensive and only available by the block. im talkin 3ft x 3ft x 2ft block....fingers are crossed though i have 8 of these things (all but 1 of the main bodies are cracked/burned/warped) and 2 strip kits that at this time are useless to me....

Hey Rob, I think I have your old LD340!! I'm putting the plenum divider back in if I can get it set up for magnum heads.

Maybe its mine ? Mine is the blue one posted in that same thread.

Attachments

• 29.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 560
-
Back