Thermoquad race tune

-
Thermoquads are all junk, and they run like chit. Hard to keep a tune, don't do what they are supposed too when you tune them. Parts need to be made to fine tune them. A/F Meter numbers mean jack-**** when trying to tune. You have to resort to throwing fuel or air at it to see if it picks up or not. On top of all that, a six-pack picked up 3tenths in the car....

Speak for yourself on that one. It does not take a genius to rebuild one or to understand one. Too many people have figured out how to rebuild it, modify it and get not only plenty of power out of it but also get exceptional gas mileage from it.

Hey Rob, I have two Dodge mud truck racer's I built totally race-prepped T.Q. 'S for their 498 and 526 stroker wedges for and both are in the winners circle just about every race. They have bumped-up in class two classes higher and still beat the competition! They are about the only two running a T.Q. and before I built those carbs, they did not have that kind of luck.

It is pretty neat that the Chevy and Ford guys with much deeper pockets just can not believe those two Dodge guys are running a T.Q. and beating 550-600+ inch motors. I love it!

The new Street Demon looks very close to a TQ. If it is a copy, maybe parts will interchange. Ideas?

The new Street Demon looks very close to a TQ. If it is a copy, maybe parts will interchange. Ideas?

Try this link for good vid by Chuck from one of the Speed channel shows:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHWJpZCmUAk"]Street Demon - Chuck's Garage - YouTube[/ame]

Worth a look for sure!

It is base on a '71 air metered T.Q. or the Competition series from what I can tell. Not much at this point I can see that would lead me to believe it would not be a really good carb but time will tell how well received it is, David.

haters gonna hate. LOL

Yea, no doubt. The "I can't understand it/tune it: crew will always hate and be convinced. Once convinced, you never learn and move forward.

An interesting carb. I do wish someone would do a new TQ, a updated version for us street and race guys. A bit more than what is above in terms of CFM. Which I find it rated low. At least I think it is a low rating.

Thermoquads are all junk, and they run like chit. Hard to keep a tune, don't do what they are supposed too when you tune them. Parts need to be made to fine tune them. A/F Meter numbers mean jack-**** when trying to tune. You have to resort to throwing fuel or air at it to see if it picks up or not. On top of all that, a six-pack picked up 3tenths in the car....

Huh...funny.

I've been driving this thing every day since I put the TQ on... Little tuning and now there is not one area where the Holley performed better. Still by far the biggest improvement over the 750 is WOT. Holley is staying on the shelf in a box.

I'm officially sold on the TQs.

I picked up 2 tenths in the quarter, and considerable gas mileage over the 750 dp, I had on before. I bought 6 extra tq's on ebay for a total of about $100, and made my own strip kit.

The best investment you can make is in a good wideband A/F meter. Once I installed that, along some basic knowledge on tuning, I got the tuning nailed. I bought this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-Analog-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b464d933&vxp=mtr

Best $200 I spent on my car!!

408 stroker, 3.73's, in a 3200 lb duster, best time of 12.003 @ 112, and a best of 24.5 mpg @ 70+ mpg, through my American Powertrain TKO 600 (.64 od).

TQ bashers simply demonstrate their ignorance.

And probably there fustration with them.

In Scampin's defense he has a nast 71 Duster 340 that he runs in FAST with a TQ.

Speak for yourself on that one. It does not take a genius to rebuild one or to understand one. Too many people have figured out how to rebuild it, modify it and get not only plenty of power out of it but also get exceptional gas mileage from it.

Hey Rob, I have two Dodge mud truck racer's I built totally race-prepped T.Q. 'S for their 498 and 526 stroker wedges for and both are in the winners circle just about every race. They have bumped-up in class two classes higher and still beat the competition! They are about the only two running a T.Q. and before I built those carbs, they did not have that kind of luck.

It is pretty neat that the Chevy and Ford guys with much deeper pockets just can not believe those two Dodge guys are running a T.Q. and beating 550-600+ inch motors. I love it!

Thats funny coming from the guy I spent 400 dollars on a thermoquad that was supposed to be the best of the best and it wouldn't get past 2k rpm because he never replaced the spring in the accelerator pump and it was broken.... Then my home built thermo picked up 1 tenth over his...

In 3 yrs of racing with the thermoquad I have gone from 12.14 @ 111mph to 11.27 @ 120+ with very little changes other than carb tuning and weather. I have learned you CANNOT watch the a/f meter and know whether it was a good run or not. I can make the car run the exact same times with the a/f in the 10's or in the 13's. Everyone told me to fine tune with the secondary air door opening. You can't. Sure, it changes the a/f dramatically, but it doesn't pick-up or drop e/t accordingly. The car runs the fastest e.t. with the air door at the measurment set. period. I change the jets to change a/f. Lots more work, but it is the only fairly consistant way I have found to make a/f changes that acutally result in e/t changes.
I don't trust a carb I can get the same e/t out of with a 3 point spread on a/f.

Scampin, I would have helped you with the problem if I had known about it. Things happen and I am sorry it happened that way to you. I try to get everything right before I return the work and although I am not perfect, it does matter to me if I make a mistake and I try to fix a problem if I am made aware of it, David.

hi, I run 6319 T.Q. on a 340 stock eliminator motor. only thing done was , little drilling of fuel passages, bigger needles, milled out, the air door is set with a gauge, for a/f. I hooked up AEM sensor, to collector, it read, 12.1 to 12.3 going down the track, I mounted it where i could see it easily. I adjust air door for leaning or richening. it is in .025 steps, works very well. I ran 11.37 @ 116 MPH. hhhmmmm.

hi, I run 6319 T.Q. on a 340 stock eliminator motor. only thing done was , little drilling of fuel passages, bigger needles, milled out, the air door is set with a gauge, for a/f. I hooked up AEM sensor, to collector, it read, 12.1 to 12.3 going down the track, I mounted it where i could see it easily. I adjust air door for leaning or richening. it is in .025 steps, works very well. I ran 11.37 @ 116 MPH. hhhmmmm.

I see it change the a/f when I open or close the air door, the problem I have is it doesn't change the e/t or mph as it should. For example, if I close the door up .075, it changes the a/f 1.75 points, but the car will mph and e/t the same. If I leave the air door at the set measurement (Yes I built a gauge also) and change the jetting to change a/f, it will pick up or drop off as you would expect. I can only assume it has something to do with the mixture or atomization. It could have something to do with the work done on the manifold, don't know, but it ain't right.

11.37 @ 116mph.... damn. Think you could do that on g70-14 poly's?

Dave, water under the bridge, I emailed and pm'd you at least 10 times with no response. I don't need to rehash this.

Scampin, if you tell me your name, I would like to know as I do not know it by your handle here. What email address did you use to try to contact me by? I did change it at one point, after my home was broken into and my computer was stolen, David.

ps was just trying to figure out where the communication problem was, sorry my bad!

Not to fan the embers of a dead fire, but, let me get this straight, David built you a carb from miles and miles away and it ran well? From just talking about the build? And your complaining on a tenth gain when you did your TQ on your engine present and in front of you and not how many miles away???
"Then my home built thermo picked up 1 tenth over his..."

A tenth?!?!

The one thing that the TQ drives me crazy on is the rear air door and what you have experienced. The A/F changes but the slip does not. You must be running at peak and restricted heavy.

Not to fan the embers of a dead fire, but, let me get this straight, David built you a carb from miles and miles away and it ran well? From just talking about the build? And your complaining on a tenth gain when you did your TQ on your engine present and in front of you and not how many miles away???

A tenth?!?!

The one thing that the TQ drives me crazy on is the rear air door and what you have experienced. The A/F changes but the slip does not. You must be running at peak and restricted heavy.

Dave built me the carb that was supposed to be the best of the best, all the tricks. After replacing the accelerator pump and spring, I ran the carb. I tuned the carb in to a good a/f, which was one metering rod and jet change. I then built the same number carb, using all the parts from Dave's (Metering rods, jets, needle/seat, pump squirter) All I did was massage the airways alittle. Mind you my first ever rebuild of a thermoquad, that carb picked up a tenth and 1 mph. So the same tune, my homebuilt thermo beat the best of the best. In a heads up class, 1 tenth is to die for. Maybe Dave could have found the tenth, don't know, but I was pretty disappointed.

Now hopefully that is over with...

Has anyone else experienced tuning with the air door that actually results in e.t. change? I understand if you weren't close on it, you will pick up. But the minute changes that affect a/f, does your car actually respond to it?

I'd say the air door adjustment is a fine tune thing because, like yourself, I found nothing worth writing about when I adjusted it. What "massaging" did you do?
Picture by chance?

Dave built me the carb that was supposed to be the best of the best, all the tricks. After replacing the accelerator pump and spring, I ran the carb. I tuned the carb in to a good a/f, which was one metering rod and jet change. I then built the same number carb, using all the parts from Dave's (Metering rods, jets, needle/seat, pump squirter) All I did was massage the airways alittle. Mind you my first ever rebuild of a thermoquad, that carb picked up a tenth and 1 mph. So the same tune, my homebuilt thermo beat the best of the best. In a heads up class, 1 tenth is to die for. Maybe Dave could have found the tenth, don't know, but I was pretty disappointed.

Now hopefully that is over with...

Has anyone else experienced tuning with the air door that actually results in e.t. change? I understand if you weren't close on it, you will pick up. But the minute changes that affect a/f, does your car actually respond to it?
message the airways? I'm wondering if you did the same thing i did on my 6 series TQ, I have 4 - 4 series air metered beasts i need to start testing on.

Attachments

• 022 (1280x853).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 928
Tried the Thermoquad out this past Friday. For times i picked up 2 tenths of a second but i also picked up a consistent 5 mph at the traps too.

My issue was at the initial launch. im still getting used to the carb but i lost a lot of time because it would fall on its face at the launch...probably driver error more than anything but when i get this figured out it should cut off a lot of time.

Heres a video of my dad driving as well. I wanted him to try it and see if it was just me or not..
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxTAAmKN7Jw"]Plymouth Duster 340 - YouTube[/ame]

I tried multiple rpms and launch techniques but this issue was pretty consistent.

What is your time and speed?

You know the basics of it right. Pump shot, possible timing adjustments, etc....

Good luck with your experimenting.

What is your time and speed?

You know the basics of it right. Pump shot, possible timing adjustments, etc....

Good luck with your experimenting.

13.5 @ 103. 3.23 gears

I'm currently at 14' initial advance. Still feels like a carb issue. One thing I noticed is that the acc. Pump shoots gas in a good stream on the passenger side but it limps out of the drivers side... I'll check for any blockage

Metering tree adjustment or the secondary air door is opening to quick, or both.

Those will give you an off idle stumble. Also I would think it would like a little more initial.

One thing to try would be pull the metering tree up with your fingers and clamp it there with a small pair of vice grips. Leave your air cleaner off and try it. Maybe if you're out at your Dad's just run it down the road. Start and hold for a second, stop and try again and see if the off idle stumble is better or goes away. Bump up your initial to 16* and try it.

Do you have the tool for the air door adjustment? If that door opens to soon it will add to the problem.

-
Back