They Call it Bunny Love!

-

kargyrl93

Youngin' Yet
Reaction score
This domestic bunny has been living outside of my home for about 3 weeks... She was found eating grass in our side yard a while ago. I knew right off the bat that she wasn't wild because she would've ran if she was wild... She didn't! I had no good way at first to catch her and take her in as our new house pet, so I waited.

I had gotten my Grandma's fishing net to use for a couple days but it had to be returned Thursday (Today) back to the lake to use. I had family up yesterday, and my friend had walked around to the front, facing the bunny, and I came around behind her.

I was scared of hurting her, but at this point she could have been killed, ran over, dead from the heat, or eaten by another animal... I didn't care if I hit her in the head, my main goal was to get this bunny in the net and be able to take care of her in a sheltered environment.

So I swung the net over her and my friend and I were yelling for someone in the family to get a box to put her in because if I would've tried to flip the net over, she would've jumped out and ran again... Another close friend of mine was there as well... So, he came over with a box to put her in and close the top. I picked her up with the net still over top of her and placed her in the box while he and I quickly closed the top and brought her inside.

Steph (my friend) and I cleaned her up and put her in the 2nd bedroom for free run to dry. I cleaned out the guinea pig cage for her to sleep in last night until I got to go get her an actual bunny cage for her to call her own. Welcome home, Mischief!!! (Named for all the hell I went through for the past 3 weeks to finally get her and bring her inside!!!)

Attachments

• get-attachment (2) (640x480).jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 286
  • get-attachment (640x480).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN0425 (640x480).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 301
If she was someone's pet, they may not have realized that a rabbit is not an easy pet to care for properly. Be sure you read up and know they live for a long time.

That's awesome.
Give about a year, feed it well, cuddle it lots, and the meat will practically fall off the bones.

JUST KIDDING!

My kids had rabbits and they made great pets and were easy to keep if you provide the right type of cage. The first one was trained to go on a newspaper in the house, but you had to watch that he didn't chew on the electrical cords. He came home with me at Easter nestled in my jacket pocket and died of old age at 8 or 9.

I built a special raised cage/house that collected his droppings and urine into a pail that we emptied in the compost pile. The cage part could be cleaned with a hose, and he was very careful not to make a mess in his house.

If she was someone's pet, they may not have realized that a rabbit is not an easy pet to care for properly. Be sure you read up and know they live for a long time.

Oh I did... I also have 2 female guinea pigs and they're eating traits are very similar...

I got her a cage this morning, came with the water bottle and rabbit feeder.

I bought her some Timothy Hay, a mineral salt lick tablet, high antioxidant rabbit food that's full of Vitamins A, B & D, and got some calcium rich rabbit treats.

There's some wild carrots growing in some parts of my yard where I can grab the carrot tops for her to eat occasionally...

She's finally relaxing in her new cage! Picked her up and held her this morning and she fell asleep in the blanket I wrapped her in... I said it was a good sign meaning that she feels comforted and safe in my arms.

I was in tears when I finally caught her! I was so happy that she would now be officially safe instead of being in the sun all day, no water, no nutrition, no care, no shelter except under houses and carports, no nothing.

And now she's safe! :D

We used to have rabbits a long time ago. My dad would ask restraunts for any "bunny scraps" when he was eating there. They would give him the scrap lettuce that they cut out of the salads.

Our first one, we would keep inside in a cage that my dad built. He was kinda mean. We would let him out to wander around the family room. One day when I was playing my Atari game, I had my best all time high on Space Invaders, over 110,000 on the first guy, he bit through the power cord on me!!! I yelled, "Thumper!!!" He cocked his ears, one forward, one back like saying, "Oh ****." I never did get that far again on the first guy....

Then we started letting him outside in our fenced in back yard. It had some landscaping in the one back corner. That's where he hung out. Our dog used to love to play with him. He would chase the rabbit all over the yard. Our neighbors and us used to love to watch them go. The rabbit became much more friendly.

One day the dog was barking at the back door. My brother tried to let him in, and he wouldn't come. He ran around the corner, so my brother followed him. There was Thumper laying on his side hyperventilating. The dog was worried that he may have hurt the rabbit and got help. Luckily the rabbit survived. It turned out that the rabbit liked to be chased, and the dog loved to chase him.

After a while of leaving him outside in the back yard, we noticed some wild rabbits would be hanging around the one fence pole. Like 2 -3 of them. They would show up around 9:30 - 10:00 PM. They were his girlfriends. He would sneak out of the fence to "play" with them and be back in the yard by morning.

We used to have rabbits a long time ago. My dad would ask restraunts for any "bunny scraps" when he was eating there. They would give him the scrap lettuce that they cut out of the salads.

Our first one, we would keep inside in a cage that my dad built. He was kinda mean. We would let him out to wander around the family room. One day when I was playing my Atari game, I had my best all time high on Space Invaders, over 110,000 on the first guy, he bit through the power cord on me!!! I yelled, "Thumper!!!" He cocked his ears, one forward, one back like saying, "Oh ****." I never did get that far again on the first guy....

Then we started letting him outside in our fenced in back yard. It had some landscaping in the one back corner. That's where he hung out. Our dog used to love to play with him. He would chase the rabbit all over the yard. Our neighbors and us used to love to watch them go. The rabbit became much more friendly.

One day the dog was barking at the back door. My brother tried to let him in, and he wouldn't come. He ran around the corner, so my brother followed him. There was Thumper laying on his side hyperventilating. The dog was worried that he may have hurt the rabbit and got help. Luckily the rabbit survived. It turned out that the rabbit liked to be chased, and the dog loved to chase him.

After a while of leaving him outside in the back yard, we noticed some wild rabbits would be hanging around the one fence pole. Like 2 -3 of them. They would show up around 9:30 - 10:00 PM. They were his girlfriends. He would sneak out of the fence to "play" with them and be back in the yard by morning.

Awwee, that's a cute story! :)

Krazy Kuda, I dont think they were playing. The rabbits i raised played all the time but it seem two turned into plenty if you know what I mean...LOL ..Bill

Krazy Kuda, I dont think they were playing. The rabbits i raised played all the time but it seem two turned into plenty if you know what I mean...LOL ..Bill

I'm sure they did....

My ex had 5 rabbits when we first got married. Then one of them (Zack a black & white lop ear) knocked up two of them. When the first one (Sophie a gray and white with short regular ears) had her babies, he knocked her up again in less than 3 days....

Then came the knife and took away his "equipment" at the vet....

That's why they have that "rabbit" reputation.

Oh I did... I also have 2 female guinea pigs and they're eating traits are very similar...

I got her a cage this morning, came with the water bottle and rabbit feeder.

I bought her some Timothy Hay, a mineral salt lick tablet, high antioxidant rabbit food that's full of Vitamins A, B & D, and got some calcium rich rabbit treats.

There's some wild carrots growing in some parts of my yard where I can grab the carrot tops for her to eat occasionally...

She's finally relaxing in her new cage! Picked her up and held her this morning and she fell asleep in the blanket I wrapped her in... I said it was a good sign meaning that she feels comforted and safe in my arms.

I was in tears when I finally caught her! I was so happy that she would now be officially safe instead of being in the sun all day, no water, no nutrition, no care, no shelter except under houses and carports, no nothing.

And now she's safe! :D
great job!
visit or site for some caring tips...www.hopline.org
no lettuce and nuts!!! it will raise hell with their digestive track.
cilantro, carrots, dandelion leaf, strawberries, banana, blue berries good foods also.
Rabbit proof your home.... wires,jeans on the floor, etc. they need to constantly eat and chew to keep teeth trimmed.
they can eat tons of cardboard which won't hurt them at all.
"fruitables" dog treats are a great treat also

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 002.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 216
great job!
visit or site for some caring tips...www.hopline.org
no lettuce and nuts!!! it will raise hell with their digestive track.
cilantro, carrots, dandelion leaf, strawberries, banana, blue berries good foods also.
Rabbit proof your home.... wires,jeans on the floor, etc. they need to constantly eat and chew to keep teeth trimmed.
they can eat tons of cardboard which won't hurt them at all.
"fruitables" dog treats are a great treat also

Great Pics!!! Adorable! :D

She had lived outside for so long (over 3 weeks) she's very skiddish yet, so I got her a rabbit cage to stay in for now until she get's use to being held and cared for all over again.

She's doing good though.

She's eating her food, and devouring the Timothy Hay, she drank a lot of water last night which was good to see because she hadn't had an actual water supply living outside eating grass everyday.

She's been very curious today.. I took her out and put her in a soft fleece throw blanket and carried her around and talked to her so she could get use to hearing my voice and for her to see that I'm not going to hurt her, just help her...

My grandmother came over for a while and she sat next to me while I held the bunny... She pet her cautiously like she was going to attack her. I told her that if she were to attack anyone it would have been me by now!! Lol

She fell asleep on my lap again this morning, just like last night while I was uploading her pics to the computer.

She's beginning to become more and more comfortable with me...

I'm happy!! :D

Mischief and her neighbors living one cage over from her... The guinea pigs!!

The pigs would start squeaking and the bunny would sit there and look at them like she would ask them what the hell their problem is!

Lol

Attachments

• DSCN0433 (640x480).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCN0434 (640x480).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN0435 (640x480).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCN0436 (640x480).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 188
My inlaws had one and it had run of the house. They trained it to use a littler box. :glasses7:
Jim

Unfortunately, I don't think litter training is going to be in her future...

My dog thinks the bunny wants to play through the cage.

Hafta admit, though, it's priceless to watch! :D

Caught my dog scratching at the bedding pan and biting the side rails of the cage and trying to drag the cage across the living room floor.

Dog's tail was just a twitching and mouth just a barking at her as the bunny looked at her like "what the hell are you trying to do to my house?!"

I,ve seen plenty of Jack rabbits out in the bush.One day I was with a friend and we seen a really big Jack,my friend said..watch this ..He did the loudest high pitch whistle and the Jack hopped to about 4 ft from us.Apparently they are attracted to high pitched noises,cause it sure worked.Yours is a cute bunny,my daughter would love it.Good luck with the new pet.

-
Back