They just started grinding today - yeah, sure!

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
This is a Grand Caravan that came in the shop today. A pizza delivery guy driving everywhere at insane speeds. He said it just started grinding today. The tech who got in it felt no pedal. He put it in gear to get it moving a bit, then put it in neutral. He couldn't get it to stop even a slow roll and it rolled to the curb. The idiot kid drove the van to the shop. This is exactly why there should be tickets handed out for unsafe vehicles. He risked everyone who was on the road with him's life.

Left side. The good side. Down to the fins and rusty. Obviously the caliper finally seized up and refused to grind any longer.
View attachment Rotor - left.jpg

The right side. No fins left and blue from heat. The caliper piston pushed out so far all the fluid had leaked from this caliper. Yet it was dry because it had been driven this way so long the fluid washed off.
View attachment rotor right.jpg

Some perspective on how much fin is left.
View attachment rotor perspective.jpg

Believe it or not a buddy of mine was doing his friends brakes and all that was left on the calipers were fins!! And yes she was blonde

Seeing these pictures and hearing the story makes me sick to my stomach.

I REFUSE to buy Domino's Pizza.

I have from the time one of their delivery drivers didn't have enough smarts to turn his headlights back on after making a delivery. He managed to broadside my daughter's LeBaron convertible, shoving her driver's door in 22 1/2 inches. This resulted in my spending six days at her bedside in the ICU wondering if I was going to loose her completely.

She did eventually recover and even went back to college the next term. But after suffering a concussion, breaking her back in three places, and her pelvis in six, any thoughts of continuing her college basketball career and getting a scholarship were long gone.

That's what I call full metallic pads! LOL

had a civic come into the shop and the couple complained of a front end rattle.turned out that the rotor had separated into the hat and the lid and was just spinning around and clanking on the wheel.talk about unsafe.

That is amazing... how could anyone not know the car had a problem?!?

Modern cars are appliances. You sit down, push button to start, move stick so that it moves, and the car should do all the rest while you text or apply makeup or something. Nothing can ever go wrong and they don't ever need any maintenance.

Thats about .500 past its minimum....I think my sisters old Rabbit didnt even have finned rotors, those would wear to paper....

nice! , we had a Limo company bring in their Van afetr their mechanic did the brakes and said the pedal was mushy...turns out he never installed the inner wheel bearings...LOL
hmm those are extra parts we dont need to re install...

Seen that so many times when I was working at the dealership and at the
independant repair shop, before I retired.
People just drive them till it wont move anymore.:wack:

i wish i could say "I've never seen that before." lol

I stopped saying that phrase years ago, now it's just. "seen that before..." :D

When you work on enough vehicles for a long enough period of time, you've seen it all, no questions asked :D

We once bought a 1975 Dodge D300 Towtruck/Wrecker for the shop (great price, low miles, needed some repairs) jumped in to drive it home and the friggin truck was all over the place, vibrations everywhere, noises we'd never heard before.

Fortunately it was only a short drive to our shop, Jacked the front of the truck up, pulled the wheel off and everybody around the truck (me, my dad, and my grandfather) all said "What the F***?" The ball joints were beyond shot, they were so far gone that the previous owner had wrapped logging chains around the control arms to keep it from coming apart :violent1:

After it was repaired, it was the best truck you could ask for. The kind of vehicle you wouldn't be afraid of driving from coast to coast with nothing more than a spare ballast resistor, regulator & ignition box (but who doesn't carry those in their dodge/plymouth? :D )

It has a brother we bought around the same time, a '75 W300 ClubCab Wrecker (from a different seller, but you'd have swore the same guy owned it) It had a bad vibration and the pto didn't work.

The vibration was the u-joints, it had broken a strap and the joints were shot...so the previous owner welded the caps to the yoke :prayer: :violent1: The PTO was easier... It had 2 PTO's (one for the front winch and one for the wrecker bed/rear winch) he was engaging the front PTO, which no longer had a winch connected to it :D No wonder he couldn't get the bed/rear winch to work :D

Did anyone read the recent FABO threads ranting how unsafe our 60's cars are? Other threads claim that drum brakes don't work, or our headlamps are too dim. People don't know what is driving around out there. I have ridden in other's cars that look great and fairly new on the outside and are a rattling, clunking mess when they drive. A well-maintained car from the 60's is safer than many of the "newish" cars on the roads. Seen any cars with hazy plastic headlight housings in parking lots lately?

I guarantee both front fenders and both front doors will be rusty and rotton in a year from all the steel dust thrown off those brakes.

-
Back