Thin head gaskets???

-
it is for a pair,it is cheap,they are on my engine.when i yank the heads off i will get anything but these.they leak water on the outside edge of the block.my machine work was top notch .will spend money on cometic next time.i think these are made by mr gasket they look the same.

Thanks,
Good to know. My next question was going to be if the .028 MrGasket ones were any good but if you think they are the same gasket that answers that. I guess I may just say the heck with it and use the standard thick gaskets.

hughes engines has the mopar gaskets .026 thick for $53 and the steel shim mrgaskets for $23. if you use the steel ones spray them with copper spray sealer it works great.

Hi Folks,

Not trying to hiijack the thread, but wondering what the advantages of the thin gaskets are? Bump compression a bit? Just accumulating info for when the time to rebuild my motor arrives.

Thanks,
Pat

I have several sets of those mopar thin heads gaskets in use...have not had any problems with them...the link i post is about the cheapest place you will find them....

if you want to pay more go ahead....the mr Gasket 1121 head gasket is same as the mopar head gasket...

Hi Folks,

Not trying to hiijack the thread, but wondering what the advantages of the thin gaskets are? Bump compression a bit? Just accumulating info for when the time to rebuild my motor arrives.

Thanks,
Pat

That's it. More compression. It really doesn't make a big diff. but if your engine is a smog era engine every bit helps.

Bumps my compression up from 11.1 to 11.6 to 1 on my 340 with a .039 gasket to .026

will the gaskets that 70 aarcuda posted work on my 77 318 with stock pistons and 302 heads 188-160 valve size...... And will they really bump the cr a half a point

I used those head gaskets when I rebuilt my 273. They raised the compression ratio by a half a point over Permatex Blue gaskets. No problems! toolman

Check out my build thread

If you're running closed chamber heads you need to spec your had gasket thickness so you have the proper piston-to-head clearance at TDC... just thought i'd throw that out there

hmm, i thought it be more like a 1/4 point

.030 cut on the heads gives a 1/2 point boost, all the thin gasket gives is .013 less
I cc'ed the heads and block and this is what it figures out to!

Yep I have a stock 77 360 with real low milage so I put steal shims on it and threw it in the car. Even if it's just a small bump in CR it got to help.

Attachments

• IMG_0747_2.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 1,184
thank you all for the info .just what i needed to know im going with SCE pro copper .021 they are a hundred and eight bucks but i believe they are quality gaskets for my 1974 360 with 2.02 j heads.will be running a comp cam high energy cam 2.68-280-.477-.480 cam.would like to get whatever comp gain i can without changing pistons getting them from summit racing.ive always ran the mopar .40 compressed.expensive but as the saying goes ya get what ya pay for.

Welcome to the forum.

The thin gaskets require very straight machine work with no surface imperfections.

A lot of people won't get seal, because they don't sequence them in stages. Factory calls for two sequences in order on the bolts, the thin gaskets call for three. Break the torque up in three sequences and you'll be glad you did.

I ran a pair with no machine work. One sealed, one didn't.

Found one head at one spot .007" out from square, shaved both heads .010" New gaskets, sequenced 3 times, no leaks under pressure test on the radiator cap.

Have used the MP and the Mr G thin head gaskets for years. Never a problem. Properly lube the bolts and torque in 3 step sequence. Also make sure the decks are clean and not warped, but that holds true for any gasket really.

I got the Mopar Perf ones in my 273 with standard head/block finish...no leaks, no probs...but then it is just ~9.0 CR.

Have used the MP and the Mr G thin head gaskets for years. Never a problem. Properly lube the bolts and torque in 3 step sequence. Also make sure the decks are clean and not warped, but that holds true for any gasket really.

have used numerous sets of the thin mp or mr g head gasket...as said...clean both surfaces....and torque head bolts in 3 steps...with the proper lube on thread.

never had one leak or blow...

have used numerous sets of the thin mp or mr g head gasket...as said...clean both surfaces....and torque head bolts in 3 steps...with the proper lube on thread.

never had one leak or blow...

Can the .025 be used on closed chamber also??????

-
Back