Thin-wall spark plug socket?

-

DrCharles

Reaction score
I have a set of Hedman 78030 B-body headers on my low-deck, and the issues with #6 plug access are well known. I made a hole in my inner fender so at least I can get a socket on it. Since I don't have a thin forearm with two wrist joints, using a wrench from underneath is not practical. :rolleyes:

The problem is that the tube for #6 is very close to the spark plug base - and my 13/16" spark plug socket binds on the tube.

I've been googling for a 13/16" thin-wall, but almost all of them are thin-wall impact sockets which end up being the same OD. There are some wheel sockets which might work, but even with the plastic wheel protector sleeve removed, the OD is not really much thinner.

Any recommendations (even $nap-On if necessary)? Thanks.

I have a set of Hedman 78030 B-body headers on my low-deck, and the issues with #6 plug access are well known. I made a hole in my inner fender so at least I can get a socket on it. Since I don't have a thin forearm with two wrist joints, using a wrench from underneath is not practical. :rolleyes:

The problem is that the tube for #6 is very close to the spark plug base - and my 13/16" spark plug socket binds on the tube.

I've been googling for a 13/16" thin-wall, but almost all of them are thin-wall impact sockets which end up being the same OD. There are some wheel sockets which might work, but even with the plastic wheel protector sleeve removed, the OD is not really much thinner.

Always a tough thing. If the socket is too thin then it won't be strong enough. Mac used to make some goofy looking sockets just for this application. I will see if I can come up with an example.

Found it. MAC doesn't carry them any more but Summit does. Powerhouse Products
Powerhouse Products Spark Plug Sockets POW301155
POW-POW301150_ml.jpg

A regular spark plug socket wouldn't fit my indy small block heads so I turned it down in my lathe. Spark plugs are the only thing I use it for.

Last edited:
how about a 5/8 plug in the future? eg. E3.48..5/8 hex and gasket. Or a more conventional Denso K20
1f1d4536-584f-40df-a686-40308cfa3eaf_1.b8f2d2c15599e5650102124c46b1e425.jpg

Cut, heat bend a box/ open end. When I worked for the auto hobby shop at NAS Miramar in the early 70's I had 3 or 4 cut up wrenches modified. Also had a plug socket with a male hex drive that I had both shortened to the minimum and ground around the outside.

TURN IT DOWN IN A LATHE--------------No more than necessary tho.

Thanks for the suggestions (especially the 5/8" hex plug info) Time to buy one (or eight) Denso plugs! :)
That would definitely be easier than modifying a socket, and cheaper than buying one!

The problem with making wrenches, etc. is that there just is not room for me to reach up in there and turn it. It's a perfect storm of obstruction by header, inner fender, motor plate, K-frame... there's a reason why I took a holesaw to the fender.

Thanks for the suggestions (especially the 5/8" hex plug info) Time to buy one (or eight) Denso plugs! :)
That would definitely be easier than modifying a socket, and cheaper than buying one!

The problem with making wrenches, etc. is that there just is not room for me to reach up in there and turn it. It's a perfect storm of obstruction by header, inner fender, motor plate, K-frame... there's a reason why I took a holesaw to the fender.

As Pishta pointed out above, stop buying 13/16 hex plugs. There is no real reason to use them anymore.

That will make life much easier. The only time you can’t use a 5/8 hex plug is if you are using OE big block castings. They take the J series 13/16 hex, 5/8 reach plug. If that’s what you have you’re kinda stuck.

If not, the 5/8 hex plugs are the best choice.

So many say to modify a socket..when it's a depth and angle issue. Imo.

Most plug sockets are deep, some thicker.
The u joint style plug sockets from powerbuilt are thinner, shorter and have the u joint to get an extension around the header tube. It's the only one for me that works on all sb/bb. But grind a good socket down and maybe itll crack get stuck or break the porcelain...itll be a blast. Lol

The only time you can’t use a 5/8 hex plug is if you are using OE big block castings. They take the J series 13/16 hex, 5/8 reach plug.

Unfortunately, for now, I do have iron heads.
This winter I'll be putting on the PRH-massaged Speedmasters, and 5/8 hex plugs sound like the way to go. Will doublecheck to make sure they fit my new heads first ;)

you can try and find a suitable 5/8 plug here
Thanks for the link!

So many say to modify a socket..when it's a depth and angle issue. Imo.

Most plug sockets are deep, some thicker.
The u joint style plug sockets from powerbuilt are thinner, shorter and have the u joint to get an extension around the header tube. It's the only one for me that works on all sb/bb. But grind a good socket down and maybe itll crack get stuck or break the porcelain...itll be a blast. Lol

IF U TIGHTEN PLUGS THAT TITE !

I had to turn down my 5/8 ths socket on my Trickflow SB heads. Find someone with a lathe. Spark plugs don't need to be that tight, they are not head bolts, a little past snug after the washer is crushed is fine.
Champion makes a spark plug lubricant for aircraft plugs, aluminum heads. Most of all in aluminum, make damn sure the plug is started straight, once you cross thread it, you are not going to have a good day.

-
Back