Things your Dad used to say.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Mine was a CA State Prisons system correctional officer in the D quad (violent criminals) and most of the male members on my Dad's side of the family were law enforcement of some kind or another until me. (just a little background as to what kind of a person he was)

1. Your mouth is in overdrive, but your brain in in neutral.
2. You never learn anything when your lips are moving.
3. You're letting your lips get in the way of your ears.
4. Use your head for something other than a hat rack.
5. Never trust a man that your dog doesn't trust.

I think I may have been talking too much for him sometimes.:D

What are some of the phrases your Father used?

As you think you travel, If you can think it you can do it.
If you agree to do something, do it with a smile and graciously without complaining.

Mine was a sailor with his Master's ticket. He quit the sea and took a shore job as a harbour pilot in order to be at home when I came along.
He used to say Trailbeast dad's #4 all the time.

A few of his:

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

No you can't have a ......, you'll wrap it around a pole.

You'll be late for your own funeral.

Don't tell your mother.

I got nothin. I was 19 when he passed.
But there are a couple from other dads i had great respect for.

Coming from a very picky carpenter “good enough” in his case it was excellent.

The other one-a great man i knew.
You are insured for everything but what happens to you.

And his reference to government representitives
10 dollar haircut, 59 cent head.

take all that you can eat. eat all that you take

eat it. it will put hair on your chest

i was just trying to be nice but all i get is a ration of ****..

i'm sure more will come to mind..

Dad was a cop for a few years, mechanic, then a corrections officer.
1. Prick! Always knew when I heard that he hurt himself. Dad being a diy guy, I heard it quite often lol
2 Hatrack reference.
When referring to cheap people."tighter than bark to a tree"
"Squeeze a nickel till the Queen screams" (queen is on back of our nickel)
I loved just shooting the **** with him in the garage or out in the boat.
Miss you dad

"When I nod my head, you hit it" - LOL Typically when we were working on projects involving sledges, pick axes and hammers.
"Good people are good people, and some people just suck"
"Take on that new opportunity or challenge...figure out how to do it later"
"It doesn't rain under water" - Reason we fished in the rain LOL

"You were awful lucky to be so unlucky" For instance, one time I was bitching about my car breaking down but it happened rolling into my driveway.

Lost my dad when I was only 7 so don't remember any memorable sayings from him, but here's one I picked up from somewhere that my kids got tired of hearing from me,

"If you've got time to do it over, then you had time to do it right the first time."

Here's another one, "Put it away, in your room...where I want it to be, not where you think it should be."
That was specifically directed to my son who, when I told him to put something in his room, usually put it on the floor just inside the doorway to his room.

I remember one. Dad used it often, when i was very young.
“You make a better door than a window!”
I had a habit of standing in front of the t.v.
That was the black and white tv days,you young whipper snappers wouldnt remember that!

After a particularly hard and long days work with a lot accomplished " well , we didn't get much done today, but we'll give it hell tomorrow."
" what do you think that is setting on your shoulders, an ornament ? Well it certainly is misplaced."
Yote

Dad was career Army field artillery, had some doozies (most all involved colorful language). A particlarly memorable one.. While looking at a rather nasty woman in a men's magazine he said 'she's gonna need suspenders on that thing to keep from sh!tting in it!' I laughed until I hurt...

Cause I said so.

We'll see.........which meant no.

You're as good as the best and better than the rest.

Man I sure am hearing a lot more that I didn't remember till I saw them here.:D

Like "Don't ell your Mom"
"We'll see" which meant no at our house also.
"Cause I said"
"Do what I said first and ask questions later"

Last edited:
My father was an operating engineer/equipment operator like myself, ready mix concrete plants.
The first thing he would say entering the plant in the morning, "I hate Teamsters". At least one time during the day they would remind him why he said that every morning. One Christmas I got him a 34" Louisville Slugger with "Teamster Attitude Adjustment Tool" engraved in it with a rack that resembled a wall type gun rack, and that rack hung on the walls in his plants for many years.
"Stay away from Hot Plants. They're dirty and they smell bad". He told me that when I was an apprentice engineer. Didn't work, I did Hot/Asphalt Plants for the better part of 30 years. It's just concrete with different colored stinky cement :rolleyes:. The truck driver sentiment carried over too, imagine that.

One snowy nasty cold as hell day he made me go outside where he was working on something and hold the tools he didn't need at the moment.
I was frickin cold, and I figured he wanted me to keep the tools warm for when he needed them.
I asked him if he could just make a fire to set the tools by and he said "You won't learn anything that way". :D

-
Back