think im growing up?????

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
well this weekend i made a rather bland car purchase......... i have been driving a company issued service truck to and from work for the last 2 yrs so gas and dependability have not been much of a priority in life. I am going to be making a career change in the near future and in preparation I decided that I am going to be needing a newer, dependable, more economical mode of transportation.

I was currently driving a 91 dakota, short box, short cab with the 5.2 la engine. The truck was in very good running condition and was in reality a bit of a hot rod. it got 12mpg at best.

I ended up trading it in (got $1500) on a 2012 sentra with 12k miles on the clock. car gets 36mpg and is a 4 door sedan. about as economical and cheaply insured as they come.

needless to say driving the car doesn't inspire any sort of joy but it will serve its purpose in life.

you bought a forien car???????????????????????????????

your offended that i didn't buy a domestic brand name build outside the US? you bet i did.

wasn't for a lack of trying though. I drove a ford focus (pile of crap) drove a Chrysler 200 also...... more plastic crap then an IKEA furniture store.

Fear not.... An American citizen collected a commission on the sale of my foreign car.

Just remember, "you have to grow old, but you don't have to grow up". :D

Just ask my wife.

your offended that i didn't buy a domestic brand name build outside the US? you bet i did.

wasn't for a lack of trying though. I drove a ford focus (pile of crap) drove a Chrysler 200 also...... more plastic crap then an IKEA furniture store.

Fear not.... An American citizen collected a commission on the sale of my foreign car.

I had a good friend that drove a sentra when we were younger. We beat the crap out of that car and it never missed a tic. I remember sitting in the Wendy's drive through with it bouncing off the rev limiter trying to annoy the workers. Then we took it back to a empty lot and drove around with the ebrake locked up. The car was only a few years old but man it took a beating.

It's not one of my favorite cars but you like it and it's always nice having a new car. Congrats!

I had a good friend that drove a sentra when we were younger. We beat the crap out of that car and it never missed a tic. I remember sitting in the Wendy's drive through with it bouncing off the rev limiter trying to annoy the workers. Then we took it back to a empty lot and drove around with the ebrake locked up. The car was only a few years old but man it took a beating.

It's not one of my favorite cars but you like it and it's always nice having a new car. Congrats!

i dont really "like" the car but i LOVE 36mpg and the build quality is superior to most domestic compact economy cars. I was just a smart choice i needed to make i think.

Congrats!!!! Maybe at thanksgiving you can eat at the big table. LOL.

I have a short commute to work. But someday that will change and I'll be doing the same thing as you. Good luck with your new ride.

It's sucks growing old, but like Bad Sport says...we don't ever have to grow up :glasses7:!!!!

My wife would say the same thing!

I used to have a Hyundai Tiburon

very nice car

drove a sonata as a rental car and did not care for it

at first I was thinking "aww man, not another jap car" But everyone else is right. If it works for you then may you have many happy, safe miles with it.

My parents have been trying to get me to grow up and sell my old cars and get a new car that looks more modern and what they think is "dependable" I say no way so I still need to grow up I guess. :D

at first I was thinking "aww man, not another jap car" But everyone else is right. If it works for you then may you have many happy, safe miles with it.

My parents have been trying to get me to grow up and sell my old cars and get a new car that looks more modern and what they think is "dependable" I say no way so I still need to grow up I guess. :D

Getting a 'modern dependable' car does not require that you give up your 'old' ones!! Always keep the toys.

Getting a 'modern dependable' car does not require that you give up your 'old' ones!! Always keep the toys.

well in my parents mind it would because right now I don't have a newer car so my old ones are my hobby and only means of transportation.

They almost bought me a new dart when they were coming out but I am still skeptical about those. But in a big way I don't want them to buy it if I ever did get a new car .....the whole growing up thing.....how can you grow up if mommy and daddy are paying for your car and picking it out and everything else. They might as well dress me in the morning too. :protest:

I do still like the packed juice box though .......I don't care how old you are ....the little bag mom packs on the way out in the morning with the juice box and apple or energy bar.....that is never bad.

i still have the 67 big block dart so when i do start feeling too responsible i can take her out and destroy the ozone and shred some tires.

I did alot of thinking about the purchase prior to signing off on it. I will save enough money in gas each month that the car will basically pay for itself.

i still have the 67 big block dart so when i do start feeling too responsible i can take her out and destroy the ozone and shred some tires.

I did alot of thinking about the purchase prior to signing off on it. I will save enough money in gas each month that the car will basically pay for itself.

How many miles do you drive a month? I would guess our car payment is at least $200, increased insurance premium, and just wait til you get that $1500 registration bill. I would be really surprised if this new car was cheaper to drive than the old Durango.

How many miles do you drive a month? I would guess our car payment is at least $200, increased insurance premium, and just wait til you get that $1500 registration bill. I would be really surprised if this new car was cheaper to drive than the old Durango.

$1500 registration??? Where the H state is that at?? Want to make sure I don't move there !!

$1500 registration??? Where the H state is that at?? Want to make sure I don't move there !!
Just about every state i have lived in the new purchase car registration is hundreds of dollars. Most of the time dealers build it into the loan so the buyer is not woke up before the sale is final. Buying a new car based on projected mileage is crazy thinking.

Just about every state i have lived in the new purchase car registration is hundreds of dollars. Most of the time dealers build it into the loan so the buyer is not woke up before the sale is final. Buying a new car based on projected mileage is crazy thinking.

driving 40+ miles a day at 12mpg? that is crazy

driving 40+ miles a day at 36 mpg? sound alot more affordable. registration was $157. I saw the break down of every penny i financed.

not to mention in Washington we have a gas guzzler tax.

I also now have the piece of mind knowing that if i wanted/needed to travel more then 25 miles i dont have to worry about the vehicle not making it. then there is the added safety of the newer cars.

-
Back