Thinking about a boat......

-

cudavert

DARTAHOLIC
Reaction score
I know people say the 2 happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day they buy it and the day they sell it, but I think I've got to have one! Any avid boaters out there? I don't know a lot about boats or what I really want, exactly. I'm thinking about a 21-foot open bow jet boat (or maybe prop) with probably a big block chevy. I'd like to find a Mopar-powered one, but that's doubtful, unless I want something very old, which I don't.

Look at this!------> 340 POWER!! WHOO HOOOOO!! It's a bit old (and a tad ugly, but...) *Marine 340* :love7:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/3890700538.html

3rf3La3s85Id5K35q5d6n067f7bec43be11f6.jpg

Give you some advice. Get in practice before you buy one.

For the next 6 weeks, go down to the local public dock every Saturday morning and throw about 200.00 cash into the water and turn around and leave.

I guess if you have lot's of money to drown, it's ok. But in my opinion, that particular boat ain't good for much. You can't fish out of it, and there's so much wasted room it's incredible. It looks fancy, and "might" move. Ask yourself "how long" is it gonna take to get tired of that?

I have to agree with Del and Darwin. A boat is just a big hole in a lake you throw money into. Spend it on your car instead. Besides, how many boat owners you know who get thumbs up from people passing in other boats??? :-D

The best approach is to make friends with people who have boats, and go with them!!! :D

I own 3 boats(2 pontoons 1 bass boat) I am on the water every chance I get,Cant get enough.I love being on the water......................jeff

No the happiest days are out on a boat on a really nice day with family & friends.

You need to think about how you would use it, fishing? Water skiing? Other? To just cruise around the lake can get a bit boring. Also a big block jet boat uses fuel faster than Al Gores jet.

There's also magic effect on females when out on the open water.

how many boat owners you know who get thumbs up from people passing in other boats??? :-D

I do .........but its usually the middle finger..............

Attachments

• IMG_2415 (Small).JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 271
It does cost more for a weekend of boating than it does for a weekend in the Dart.....................Jeff

My cuda sits unfinished in the shop because I have so much enjoyment on the water.

Any one interested in an overly built 65??

I have quite a bit of boat time in, and I can tell you that it is a blast if this is what you want to do.
I'm a scuba diver and I have spent a lot of time diving out at the Channel Islands, as well as Catalina.
The watersports were quite a bit of fun, like waterskiing, kids on the tubes, and fishing was ok till I moved to AZ. :)
My boats were a little more functional for what I did with them.
My Bayrunner 16' aluminum deep hull was what I used in the ocean, and it had a 60 horse twin on it and I could run out to the islands in about 30 min.
Not very comfortable for playing, but held a ton of gear and could handle some pretty rough seas. (45 foot waves once) not recommended :)

The favorite for fresh water was a trihull 18' fiberglass boat.
This one we used for fishing and playing, as it had trolling motor and live well, open bow and pulled skiers pretty well.

Both boats were fairly managable by one person, meaning one person could unload or load them on the trailer and they didn't use a lot of gas.
(20 gal or so per weekend)

One of my buddies on the other hand, had a 454 V8 V-drive that frikin flew, but he was at the marina getting gas all weekend. :) (about 80 gallons over a holiday weekend)

Even with the boats I had it was a minimum $100 to do ANYTHING (even to fish at a local lake for the day)
Then there's trailer and boat registrations and insurance, tires, bearings and so on.

LOL Roger! I can't imagine anybody giving YOU the bird -- you're just too nice of a guy, and a very courteous driver. :-D

Back to our regularly scheduled Marine 340 ...

:
you're just too nice of a guy, and a very courteous driver. :-D ...

AHHHH!!....You do know flattery will get you...........every where with me......:tonqe:

Back to topic : Decide what your intentions are, fishing, hunting, pleasure, speed or combination. Some times the bug bites and you just have to itch it. Then you find out its not really for you. Compulsive purchases never end well.............

If I was sitting out somewhere fishing and that thing in your avatar went by, I would def give you the finger. :D

If I was sitting out somewhere fishing and that thing in your avatar went by, I would def give you the finger. :D

The finger doesn't bother me ,I just smile and wave back

We do try to mitigate the prop wash and steer clear of waterpumpers as much as possible. You would be surprised as to how many bass boats and PWC are found to be in the airboat trails.

We have every bit a right on the water ways as others. Respect goes both ways. I've had bass boats throw their line across my bow trying to hook something..........Hurricane force winds do funny things to coolers, hats and tackle boxes.

Here's my experience, I have always liked fishing [not loved just liked] my wife and kids did too so I thought it would be fun to buy a fishing boat. I purchased a boat from my boss that he purchased new the year before [sold it cause he bought a bigger boat] it was a 2001 Key Largo 156 center console open fish, a really nice boat for 4k [outboard was under sized] but it was great for inshore fishing [the type of fishing I like] right off the bat the first time we took it out the arguments started nobody listened to my instructions and it was like I was by myself at the ramp every time. I owned it 5 years and used it 5 times ended up selling it for 500$ more than I had in it. Do I miss it yes [to be honest] but I would never own another till I retire and even then maybe not I just don't enjoy it as much as my cars. I did the same thing but with an fifth wheel RV with the same result, I personally am sticking with cars/trucks.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 271
The finger doesn't bother me ,I just smile and wave back

We do try to mitigate the prop wash and steer clear of waterpumpers as much as possible. You would be surprised as to how many bass boats and PWC are found to be in the airboat trails.

We have every bit a right on the water ways as others. Respect goes both ways. I've had bass boats throw their line across my bow trying to hook something..........Hurricane force winds do funny things to coolers, hats and tackle boxes.

:D

I have hit jet skiers in the back with a 2 ounce rattle trap.

we've owned a Chaparrel 21ft deck boat for 10 years. 3 built in coolers, holds a lot of people, tows well, and when you live in AZ you are either in the a/c or in the lake in the summer.

btw....do some youtube searches on "Needles flatbottoms".... there are some serious hot rodders on water that get out and play a few times a year. They are a blast to watch!

I have to agree with Del and Darwin. A boat is just a big hole in a lake you throw money into. Spend it on your car instead. Besides, how many boat owners you know who get thumbs up from people passing in other boats??? :-D

Boy sounds like a lot of HAPPY former boat owners.

I ask everyone if they know what a boat is and Leanne got it

A HOLE IN THE WATER YOU THROW MONEY IN

also like the practice bit, never thought of that.

I love boating, and YES I did get thumbs up with my IRRESITABLE TOY (blue 20' BAJA cuddy)

Met some great people due to WILDFIRE

and had a blast with the Lemon Shakeup

The Baja has not been in the water since 2000. Taking up space and last year attempted to get it running and back on the water (mainly to get rid of)

Traded the Gold Jet for it. It was referenced to Yeah, we remember that boat, you are always working on it

WildFire 1973 18' Sidewinder JET with a 390 HP 455 OLDS running on Premium fuel, not the unleaded crap the GOOD STUFF

View attachment FABOwildFIRE.jpg

Didn't ever just run the thing hard to long period and really wasn't too bad on fuel, IF YOU COULD BUY IT 5-6 gallons and hour if pleasure cruising and skiing ........ BETTER HAVE 100' rope with a jet

Baja bought new in 1985 was promised 55MPH and pull me and buddy up on 1 comp ski's This boat when on plane was beautiful and yes had others tell me how good it looked

View attachment Baja.jpg

best on fuel at 4.5 gallon and hour average 350 chevy 260 HP alpha outdrive with custom stainless steel prop 56 MPH. Pulled 2 salom and 3 on 2 skis at one time with buddy driving and me sitting on the nose with feet over the front of the bow (HAD TO GET SHOT WITH THE GUYS MOONING THE HOUSE BOAT!

The Lemon Shake Up 1977 18' Sidewinder 320 HP 460 Ford with Jet drive Run on regular fuel and was a couple MPH slower than the gold Jet but still a blast to operate

View attachment LemonShakeUp.jpg

this could burn up to 20 GALLONS of fuel and hour, but probably more like 7 on average

I drive over the Ohio river every day going to work I want to get out on the water. Maybe next year I can get the HOLE IN THE WATER running and sea worthy again and take that last trip on the water before selling it.

i loved my boat. I,m considering trading my Harley for another. Something the whole family can enjoy.

would LOVE to ride in an AIRBOAT

use to fish in everglades and seen them all the time as a kid. Wanted dad to let me go for a ride on one and he said they are too dangerous (he also wouldn't let me buy my brothers 69 GTS 383 Dart saying I'd get killed in that thing)

maybe someday when in Florida I'll get to go on an AIRBOAT

in my 20's was skiing one sunday morning, buddy driving my WILDFIRE jet boat in the river. I could throw a good roostertail and a boat coming towards us on our right so boat goes left, I stay right until close to other boat 16' outboard with couple in sunday best cloths,

WELL, Yes I sprayed them, they turn around and start to CHASE us. we are going the wrong way in the river but I ski at 32-34 mph, about his max speed.

if I had been driving I could have turned in river at that speed but my buddy wasn't too good with the boat, so he slows, I drop in the water and back up and going. They turn and still following us.

My jet at speed could run in less than 12" of water, not an outboard, so as we are getting close to the sand bar this guy is staying right behind us, I point to the SAND BAR and we go right over it. That was the end of the guy following me as he had to get off the sand bar.

Boating can be fun

yes I'm sure I got a lot of CUSSING due to my behavior

The Baja will roll a wall of water 20-30' out and 8' high if I want it too off the back, That is FUN too

-
Back