Thinking about a Duster

-

Bullmoose

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm 29, been in the military for almost 12 yrs, and currently living in St Robert, MO. I own a 2009 Challenger RT and I'm thinking about buying a 73 Duster. I need some advice, what should I expect to pay for a 73 Duster? It's currently is an auto/ 318, green with black interior, and all the exterior trim painted black. The car is originally a 340/ 4speed and gold with parliament viynl top; needless to say nothing on the car is original. I would say that it's about 70% finished, but the paint is sloppy and running in places, the exterior trim is peeling, all the weather stripping needs placed, and the current owner has no clue how many miles are on the car or motor because the speedo doesn't work. Thanks for any advice.

Got any pics? Exterior, interior, undercarriage etc...prices can go from a few hundred bucks up to $$$$ depending on condition.

Pat

If it's got that many issues I would be very scheptical about it. If they couldn't take the time to address those issues better than they did, what else did they do a half a$$ed job of? I don't know what your price range is, but there's a fairly slick '72 under Wichita, KS craigslist. I think they're asking $6900 for it.

No OE drivetrian and sloppy apint on a unfinished car, 3-4 K at max.

The fact of it being a 340/4spd car is only a selling point to boost price, do not fall for it or let them use it to jack the price up. Look'em dead in the face and say no way, it is what it is, it is a 318 car. And that is there problem for not having what it should have.

Of course, this is a guess without a picture to judge by.

When it says the underside is redone that always scares me. Wadded up tinfoil and bondo to fill holes, and a quicky undercoating can hide a lot of stuff, incuding frame rot/cracks.

Grant

Welcome to FABO BullMoose!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

If that car is not the one, then buy another and make it look like that car. I like that look - color and stance!

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery

Attachments

• Shop Driver Side Front 3 QTR with Fins.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 101
You are in the same place as I was. I have a 2009 Challenger R/T and I bought my 74 Duster with a 318 last year. The car is pretty clean and I got it for 4,000 with a spare 360 block the guy was going to put in later. I had NO intention of putting the 360 in so I sold it for 650 bucks on Craigslist. Total price after one week of ownership 3,350 bucks. I figure that this is where you could be with the right car. Patience is the key.

Hope that this helps.
By the way, this is a very cool forum.
Welcome

I wouldn't pay that price for something half-a**ed. I would save up a little money and wait to see what comes your way. Maybe even a true 340 car or something a little nicer.

yeah if you're going for original, EVERYTHING needs to be fixed and unless he has a build-sheet to match the fender-tag, i wouldn't trust that's it's an original "340" blah blah ya know....maybe $4,500 tops, in my area that would be a realistic price although everybody with something older than 15years thinks they have a gold mine. Best of luck and welcome:mrgreen:

Welcome to the greatest car site in the world. :cheers:

-
Back