Thinking about a long roadtrip

-

dusterglenn

Reaction score
I'm considering the idea of taking my 70 Duster on a 2000 mile roadtrip this summer.
As it stands right now, the car is:
1970 Duster, mild 360, edelbrock 600 on a '70 340 cast intake, 340 exhaust manifolds, 904 trans with stock convertor, and 8-3/4" with 3.55 SG. It's got a complete TTI exhaust system with Dynomax mufflers. Also big bolt pattern brakes and 15" ralleys.
I have some work to do first, as none of the guages are working, I want to install subframe connectors, and swap gears for the trip. I have a pot with 2.73s sitting out in the shop.
Oh yeah, I'm going to be trying to keep up with my buddies, they'll be in a 2000 z28 and a 2008 Mustang GT. So between fuel economy and OD gearing I'll have my work cut out for me.
Any roadtrip ideas, suggestions, recomendations?

come to NY that is 2900 miles away..LOL...what a ride that would be...just make sure you have all the same size tires and have it least 2 spares and some plugs for the tires...I would rather be in your car than your buddies cars...keep us posted on which way you are going

brakes good tires fair dont forget the spare a couple of tools and a roll of duck tape (AAA card wouldn't hurt) oh yea replace your belts & hoses, double check your cooling system

Best part is, I have months to plan and prepare. I've almost convinced my buddies that I'm going to take may 79 Aspen beater instead. Now they really think I'm crazy.

Where are you starting from and going? It would be a shame not to take in a couple sights along the way.
C

The plan is Victoria BC to Saskatoon SK(or there abouts) and back. We have to hit Edmonton either on the way there or back, or our buddy there will kill all three of us. Other than that there's no planned route, not even a fixed start/finish date yet.

As for ignition, I'm running a Crane ignition box, without ballast resistor or stock module.

I carry a spare ballast, voltage regulator and Spark control box in my Duster. Also make sure that your transmission fluid is clean and it wouldn't hurt to get front end greased up and especially the universal joints serviced. I have changed all the fluids out in my Duster recently and have noticed a big difference how my car's performance is. New front and Rear Brake Pads, Battery, Belts, Hoses, Air Filter, Transmission cooling lines, Universal Joints, Both Trans and Motor and rear diff Oil, Coolant, Brake Fluid, New Lower /Upper Control Arm Bushings and Tie rod sleeves and ends, Wheel bearings, Tires, New coil, Voltage Regulator, Spark Control Box, Distributor, Front and Rear Shocks, Tune Up components. I would not hesitite to drive my car across the country. Remember to carry a couple of extra brake light bulbs and Headlight just in case you get one that burns out. Have Fun!!!!!!

Sounds like fun! Just don't get into a Mopar vs GM vs Ford race. Take your time and enjoy the trip............wherever you decide to go.

I went to Walmart and bought the bestest roadside emergancy kit they had ( 41 dollars I think ). Said a prayer over it and tossed it in the trunk. Trip clock in the car clicked 2854 miles in 3.5 days. I've opened that kit once, to add a pad, pencil, and tape measure to it. That was 4 years ago.

Guys, it's a MOPAR for cryn out loud. Do what you would do for any other car you plan a vacation in. Make sure its sound and has been maintained. Yea it doesn't heart to go thru the entire car and replace all fluids and double check any moving part as your not taking a new car. You are taking a Mopar and the one thing I would be worried about is where all the BBQ joints are as the car, if properly maintained, will be up for the chalenge but you will need "fuel"!

Oh yeah, I'm going to be trying to keep up with my buddies, they'll be in a 2000 z28 and a 2008 Mustang GT. So between fuel economy and OD gearing I'll have my work cut out for me.
Any roadtrip ideas, suggestions, recomendations?

Stay off the throttle and they'll be just fine LOL.

The one thing I really needed and still I had in that car today... cruise control.

Besides the fresh tune up parts and spare parts, fluids and belts changed, etc.....

The 2.76 gear will help mileage big time, though get up and go factor will be down the toliet. I'd go that route. Cheaper than a O.D. trans swap and easier toooo!

Dot't forget your FABO family along the way. I'm here in Entwistle Alberta. (about a 100k's west of Edmonton) Can help with any break downs or trouble 400k's either way from here. Kev.

trans cooler, pump shotgun in trunk, shells in glove box..legal in USA. welcome to visit us in Silver Spring, Maryland or our Delaware chapter. be safe.

Well, the 2.76 gears aren't the ideal solution(it's not even a suregrip pot). Maybe it will be the motivator to get me going on the a518 swap I've been talking about for years.

No 12guage on this trip, the Mounties have been a little trigger-happy with their tasers lately. No sense giving them any more reasons to give me some voltage.

Babyblue66, I remember the thread from your roadtrip. Awesome! I'm going to try and get as many pics as I can, but can't promise the same photographic skills.

Besides the fresh tune up parts and spare parts, fluids and belts changed, etc.....

The 2.76 gear will help mileage big time, though get up and go factor will be down the toliet. I'd go that route. Cheaper than a O.D. trans swap and easier toooo!

If you're running any special fluids that you're having to special order, bring a supply along. Bring a tire gauge along if you're not already carrying one. Otherwise, have fun, stay safe, and don't do anything to embarrass your mother (LOL).

So, it looks like I have both 2.76 and 3.23 pots to choose from. Any thoughts?
I run 3.23s in my 69 Barravuda with 245 60-14s and it turns right about 3,000 RPM going along at 60-65.... in theory, if you are running 3.23s and are going *** MPH (or KPH....) at 3230RPM, then if you swap to 2.76 gears, your engine speed would drop to 2760. That's 470RPM lower, that's a pretty good drop.... especially if you have the other chunk laying there all assembled and ready to go...

If you do swap, put it in and run it a bit to make sure all the bearings etc are good....

-
Back