Thinking about a rack and pinion for a 69 Dart gt

-

mikeyt2014

Reaction score
Yeah, this is just a wish because I'm sure it's expensive, but I'll ask anyway. Is there a conversion kit available that won't break the bank. Also, is there anything else I have to do, I mean is it a direct bolt on?

There was a thread not long ago, a member having all kinds a trouble with geometry,, keeping the wheels straight while suspension moved,,

I dont think you can't get the rack up high enuff, or vice versa,, but I'm not the best source,, try a "search"..

Yeah, this is just a wish because I'm sure it's expensive, but I'll ask anyway. Is there a conversion kit available that won't break the bank. Also, is there anything else I have to do, I mean is it a direct bolt on?

My question would be, why?

Want a rack? Contact HemiDenny or RMS and get an aftermarket front end...Complete with coil overs & a rack....

Why you ask, well I'm building this with 14yr old daughter to be her first car when she turns 16 in a year and a half. So if possible and within budget I was thinking of doing it. Of course kids these days do not know what a car is with out power steering or air bags or umpteen cup holders, etc. Also too, I thought it would be a pretty cool upgrade.

Is this gear box still manual steering though with a closer ratio that gives it better steering and returnability at lowers speeds and rpm's, for example parking in a parking lot or trying to parallel park?

i have just fitted a rack to a 69 australian Val .
I imagine it wouldnt be much different to a dart .
Its by no means an easy job , but i did it so it isnt impossible .
the rack is mounted to the K frame , the steering shaft shortened and a double d machined on.A plastic bush machined up to support the shaft in the column.I used a bishop and Kirby variable ratio out of an australian GM car called a commodore that was the exact right width. The sump has to be knotched because the rack sits too high .I used 2 uni joints and some more double d shaft to join it all up.
It would probably be easier on LHD because i then had issues with the oil filter remote hoses and of course theres no headers that will fit so more modifications.
But after all that , my car has never driven so well , and goes exactly where i point it with ZERO on centre slop.
Ben

Well, I checked out some prices and I think my daughter will have to use those things called muscles instead. Or, if she decides to save her pennies she can buy one of these pumps herself. Maybe this will help her in the appreciative side of this, i.e. she will soon find out that power steering is a "luxury"...lol Building many GM's in the past it's not hard to find a vehicle or aftermarket parts that a relatively inexpensive for something like this. I would think people on here have tried to adapt pumps and gear boxes of different model vehicles and found success. Any reccomendations?

I've remember one of our members doing something with a dakota rack mated right to the K frame and a hole cut in the K for the shaft.
Havta search it out.

a lot of guys just use a factory power steering gearbox that's been rebuilt and upgraded through Firmfeel .Would give you the best bang for your buck . Any rack and pinion setup done right ,meaning without changing the whole suspension , is almost impossible without inducing bump steer. I have driven cars with racks adapted, was actually a 55 chevy , and its not fun to hit a dip in the road and feel the car steering itself because the bump steer was an afterthought, pretty dangerous.

http://www.firmfeel.com/powerst_a.html

Also Steer and Gear offers them

http://www.steerandgear.com/

a lot of guys just use a factory power steering gearbox that's been rebuilt and upgraded through Firmfeel.

http://www.firmfeel.com/powerst_a.html

Also Steer and Gear offers them

http://www.steerandgear.com/

I'll second the opinion. I installed a Firmfeel power steering box, along with a steering and suspension rebuilt with modern alignment settings, in my '64 Valiant, and it steers and handles as good as a modern car with rack and pinion in normal driving.

Stock power steering setup should be easy to find. Just get everything from the donor. Borgeson makes a great upgrade ps setup. Have one on my 65 Comet. Works awesome.

I just found out the car has factory power steering!!!!! So I talked to A1 Cardone and they list all the parts but don't have any, they said their inventory is obsolete on this, however there are internet companies that have bought it out and to get it from them. I'm thinking this stuff works physically, then all I'll need is to have them resealed...maybe?

New seals to a 40+ year old gear box might be a waste of your time and money.
I think most part stores can get a reman'd power steering gear.
It doesn't have to be rack and pinion to be pinky finger easy.

Your probably right, I was thinking that if if is functionally ok then the seals maybe the only thing in question, but I will probably just by a reman.

Originally I didn't know if it had powersteering, but now that I found out it does, I don't have to think about a change over.

-
Back