Thinking about moving

-

lou3500

Fla. Cuda Guy
Reaction score
I still have a few years before this happens,i plan on snowbirding [living elsewhere while it's hot here] when i retire but don't know where to go to [not california or alaska i'm sure]. I was born here in Florida and have lived here all my life [except for my military travels] i'm sick and tired of heat,no change of seasons,flat scenery. I want to reside in a cooler area [less than 98-102 degrees/103-108 heat index] that has 4 seasons in a year.I would keep my Florida state residence [unless i found the perfect place no state tax,no vehicle inspection/emission testing, reasonable rates for rv spots]. My plan is to aquire a race car hauler with living quarters as our home yearound so i can take my car with me for recreation when possible. I'm looking for sugesstions from ya'll, i have been up and down the east coast and along I 10 to Cala. Flagstaff was nice and Greenville S.C. was great along with the areas along I 75 thru Tenn/Kty. but that was many years ago and i'm sure things have changed. Any sugesstions would be apreciated.

Asheville, Nc, is absolutely beautiful. If we had the chance to make another move, that's where it would be.

I'm with you I moved to Countryside when I was Fifteen and been here ever since. I am sick of the Heat,also. I like the GA. mountains and I'm thinking probably a year or two for me. I have already had alot of friends move that way. (Mopar Friends) I already go up that way a couple times a year It's beautiful. Check it out!

I have been thinking about this for quite awhile now but the kids were in school, job,house ect. i never did it, but now the kids are grown once they graduate college and i retire i'm free to roam. I like the S.C./Tenn./Kty/N.C. areas and this would only be during the march-sept. months while it's unbearable here.

Flagstaff hasn't changed a whole lot, except maybe more Snowbirds.
Prescott AZ isn't too bad either, as it is in the mountains at about 5,000 feet and surrounded by National Forest.
We get quite a few of them so it can't be too bad here.

My area of southeastern, Va.(Suffolk, Smithfield & Franklin) is really nice. Ocean is only about 45 miles away which provides cooler summers than inland locations. Milder winters also then DC and Richmond but 4 definite seasons & at least a little snow every year (sometimes more than a little due to northeaster's). Real estate is varied and affordable Suffolk were I live only has 75,000 folks but is the size of Rhode Island. Economy is still good due to massive military presence and mopar contingent is huge with awesome shows and events. We also have two 1/8 mile tracks & a 1/4 mile track(Va. Motorsports Park) within 75 miles.

When i was in the military [U.S.A.F.] i was stationed at Langely AFB, but i lived in Saluda Va. very nice area and nice folks,winters were not too bad either.

I love it here in Mount Airy, NC(Mayberry). The weather is beautiful but the summers can be long & hot. You may need to go further north & west for cooler summer weather. I would check out Kentucky near Grayson which is right off Rte 64 just west of WV.

My area of southeastern, Va.(Suffolk, Smithfield & Franklin) is really nice. Ocean is only about 45 miles away which provides cooler summers than inland locations. Milder winters also then DC and Richmond but 4 definite seasons & at least a little snow every year (sometimes more than a little due to northeaster's). Real estate is varied and affordable Suffolk were I live only has 75,000 folks but is the size of Rhode Island. Economy is still good due to massive military presence and mopar contingent is huge with awesome shows and events. We also have two 1/8 mile tracks & a 1/4 mile track(Va. Motorsports Park) within 75 miles.

Dang, this makes me want to cry. I couldn't agree more. If there was a better place in Virginia, I would have to say the mountains. Around the Lexington Area. As I have said in previous post, my family has been in this area since stepping off the first ships at Jamestown island, but in ten years I hope to retire and I am thinking Lexington is the place to go. I could buy two very nice house up there for what mine cost down here.

My .02 Idaho is one of the most beautiful places on the face of the earth. There is more national forest in this little state than any other, not counting Alaska. Very nice climate and if you like change of seasons then you will love it out here. Breathtaking scenery. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQenTSb5w4&feature=related"]Visit Idaho Scenic Shots - YouTube[/ame]

N.C. gets hot. I have been here since 2007 and every summer it has been a scorcher. This summer so far it has been cooler than the past 4 yrs. Beautiful state and really nice people and LOTS of Dragstrips!!!!!

Thank for all the replies maybe it would be in my best intrest to snowbird to everyone of these places [different one or two every season] then with luck i may find my narvana. I do have an automotive bucket list [my life revolves around cars] so that too will be my steering current when i retire.

Currently for sale here in Alaska;

Attachments

• home for sale (25).JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 225
Come on up to the great state of Wisconsin!!!!!! Great weather,Beautiful seasonal changes,Great honest friendly people,Lots of things to keep you occupied,a great lake on one side,A great river on the other,Rv sites Everywhere,And the best cheese,Brats and beer anywhere to be found on the face of the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!--Steve

My wife has family around Mount Airy, North Carolina and Galax Virginia. Its a great area we love it and want to move there when my wife retires. The people are some of the nicest we have ever met. The weather always seems nice when we are there.

Grants Pass in the Rogue Valley of Oregon, no sales tax, no car inspection or smog stuff, no snow to speak of, mild weather and the mountains will blow you away. Been here 16 years and I been all over this country. Catch 30 pound Salmon in the Rogue River which runs through our town. I have six vehicles all registered, insured and streetable. Champion dragway is 30 miles away and this place flourishes with locally grown foods, plus micro-breweries, wineries and good hunting for Deer, Elk, plus we've got great Pizza and I aught to know, I'm a NuYawka. Check Grants Pass out on Google..

snowbird to the great white north ... Canada..

It has four seasons .... i stayed at one once ... it was nice :violent1:

winter you may or may not get snow

then you have spring when the summer girls return from hibernation?

summer when the summer girls are in their mating season

then on to fall when the summer girls go back into hibernation for the cold months.

I am told these summer girls do not hibernate they just simply use sweaters and hide everything, but i have my suspicions :-k

Colorado is full of pothead California assholes now. They ruined that state. Arkansas is pretty as hell but too dammit hot in the summer.

i am 30 minutes from mt airy n.c and 40 minutes from galax va. both are great areas!

however, if you grew up in a fast pace area, you will die of boredom out these ways!. i grew up in a fast area, not in a city or nothing, but ****, talking to some of these wannabe-rednecks(all trying too look the part of being cowboys with the hats and boots, yet never live near a farm with cows or horses!), i have to consiously slow my sentences down.lmao .i am from up north, and used to flat ground. moved into the middle of the blue ridge mountains, and i mean in the middle! i love it here for the schooling for our 2 kids, and yes, the people for the most part are great. just really nothing to do unless you drive 1 hr, to get to a decent meal!. we have a hardees, and a wendys. of course you have all the private owned eating places, but garbage is what they serve. biscuits and gravy, tatse like powdered eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no matter where you go, you will never be totally comfortable enless you stay with in an hour of from where you grew up most of your life.

we are not leaving any time soon, but i say to myself every day how i want to get out of here!

Your thoughts sound alot like my own. I am already getting tired of Southern California and think about retiring to Washington State down the road. Washington State is beautiful and you get all the seasons with a very nice summer.

Me an Momma are headed to Oregon for retirement. I hate to leave Connecticut bein as I come from 11 generations right here,....But It's just TOO GODDAMN EXPENSIVE here....can't see spendin all of our retirement just to survive.

We've got absolutely nothing in common with the NYC and Boston uppity folks who have moved here, built McMansions and starter castles, bring their city ideas with them, then flip their ginormous houses and leave. They have messed up my beautiful state so bad, It makes me sick. Plus I think nieghbors are overated.

We've got land and a house all set for us out there, so soon as my Mom and Dad are gone were outa here. Go back to rural living with real people.

come to canada, just not to saskatchewan. We have winters that'll freeze yer tail off, but BC aint bad.

-
Back