This is a cry for help con't of "do I need a Flywheel"Thread

-

wyoduster

live free or die
Reaction score
Ok my previous thread I was thinking or asking for a flywheel... Now the engine is out the pans off and Can anyone tell me if this is cast or steel Crank and what flywheel and balancer do I need....Please!!???
BACKUP OR RECAP: Have a vibration in the engine ,did since I put it together. OK so I changed the Balancer still vibrate... So flywheel is next right?? So pulled engine and Flywheel appears to be for internal balance..Which I figured crank was... IT IS A "69" 340...wrong crank???
HELP!!

flywheel 004 (Small).jpg

flywheel 005 (Small).jpg

flywheel 006 (Small).jpg

flywheel 002 (Small).jpg

flywheel 003 (Small).jpg

The crank is definately forged and internally balanced. The balancer and flywheel should be neutral balanced. (It looks like the flywheel is.) As for what
your vibration is is a mystery. If a known good balancer didn't change anything it's got to be an engine miss. If it only happens while driving it could be a drive line problem. Good luck toolmanmike

Have the balance rechecked and this means taking the engine all the way down. Spin the flywheel and the crank and dampner altogether. Just went through this with another engine that was suppose to be neutrally balanced also, it was out 39 grms. in the back of the crank. Due to the flywheel and this was after reducing the weight on the flyweel.

I would have the flywheel checked for balancing and made to zeroweight needed.Then have the entire rotating assemble balanced as a complete unit by a very good shop.This way you can see if the neutral flywheel is way off.The crank is a forged crank,internally balanced,mrmopartech

For what it's worth, I built a cast crank 340 and mistakenly put a nuetral flywheel on it. It was more than a miss, it vibrated throughout the entire rpm range. We knew something was wrong immediately and didn't drive the vehicle.

Lots of good suggestions above, unfortunately not what you wanted to hear I'm sure. Good luck.

That is definately a steel crank but it looks to me like a 273 crank or maybe something else. The 340 cranks have about a 1" lightening hole drilled through the front and back rod journal area and some other differences as well. maybe some one just threw this together with what they had and didn't bother balancing it.

That is definately a steel crank but it looks to me like a 273 crank or maybe something else. The 340 cranks have about a 1" lightening hole drilled through the front and back rod journal area and some other differences as well. maybe some one just threw this together with what they had and didn't bother balancing it.
Wow now I'm really at a loss.........So if its not a 340 crank should I order a new one.....OR.... get it all balanced and use it?????? What difference would I see in a 340 crank over this one(if it is a 273 or whatever)? #-o](*,)

The only difference in the 273 and 340 steel cranks was the amount of counterweight that each used. The counterweights were heavier on the 340 because of the heavier rods and piston weight. So if this is a 273 crank and we won't know until we have a casting #, then you just need to have the rotating assembly rebalanced with the dampner and flywheel and you should be fine. They may have to add some mallory metal to the crank to help offset the rod and piston weight, and then maybe not due to the weight of the flywheel. But you won't know this until they can spin it up, and have the bob weights.

WOW. even im confused and ive been working on these motors for 20 yrs.
if this motor was pieced together. you better get more pics and as much info from the guys on this site as you can.
there are lots of good men here who know what there talking about.
good luck.

OK went to the carquest in town they will ship my crank to Billings,Mt. to have it balanced...Told me they needed pistons,rings,rods,pins crankshaft,balancer,flywheel,clutch,pressure plate,....WOW Sound right?? so I guess I gota pull it all out.... Can I pull it all out from underneath????? cause I remember putting pistons in from above.????
:dontknow:Guess it would be a good time to put in a better clutch and pressure plate too..huh?
They tell me $250. to balance it all ,sound about right??

Usually just 1 rod & piston assembly w/pin/rings/bearings/clips along with the crank,fly wheel,balancer,clutch assembly.

Yea looks like a 273 crank, as some else already said.

I know its not the same, But once I used a 318 converter on a 360 ( oops ), and it shook like hell at all RPM's It sounds like either the engine was out of balance just a little, or you had a miss, did the vibration get worse/better/same as RPM's whent up?

OK went to the carquest in town they will ship my crank to Billings,Mt. to have it balanced...Told me they needed pistons,rings,rods,pins crankshaft,balancer,flywheel,clutch,pressure plate,....WOW Sound right?? so I guess I gota pull it all out.... Can I pull it all out from underneath????? cause I remember putting pistons in from above.????
:dontknow:Guess it would be a good time to put in a better clutch and pressure plate too..huh?
They tell me $250. to balance it all ,sound about right??

Yes they are correct, as in order to balance it correctly they need the weights on all pistons and rods, and this is in the ball park for balancing.

-
Back