This is why you should port match your intake (pics)

-

flyfish

C8H18+N2O = :-D
Reaction score
Needles to say, I’m sending this intake back, but I thought I would share the pics before I do. Brand new Victor intake, the intake runner is covered up ~0.1" by the gasket (the one on the left)...I'm fine with grinding away material for a port match, but I don't want to epoxy a brand new intake due to core shift and casting flaws.

intake5.jpg

Here is a shot of the whole side.

intake3.jpg

I have been saving/waiting for a Victor intake for a while…looks like I will be waiting longer.

Very observant Flyfish. I'll bet you're glad you checked. We shouldn't take anything for granted and although a part is new it might not be right. Mike

Did you actually torque the intake to the engine and etch the top edge of the gasket for placement?

If so, that's horrible. More what I'd expect from a Chinese intake than an edelbrock.

Edelbroke has horrid quality control.

I have 3 eddy intakes that all were like that or worse.

heres a funny one...Anyone remember the professional products cross wind intakes getting flak for the same issue and everyone said..'thats why you should buy the real deal, not a knock off' LOL yeah right...like chinese rocker arms huh? meanwhile you got 'gurus' telling people with crane golds on their eddys to buy 'better' rocker arms....

Yeah..... I can't watch anymore, some of the stuff I've been reading here the last 3 days is complete barf.

I had the same problem with the intake manifold from BDS,had to send it back:angry7: All good now:toothy10:

113-1329_IMGr2.jpg

They just don't make them like they use to. But then they don't make any thing like they use to.

Edelbrock, Weiand, Holley, MP, Crosswind, factory iron... Doesn't matter. They all have it. The Crosswind I tried was junk because it was porous and the machining sucked. The port alignment wasn't bad, but not great either.

What brand gasket is that? and how do they look on the head? i usually put the bead side to the intake might look closer that way.

What brand gasket is that? and how do they look on the head? i usually put the bead side to the intake might look closer that way.

It’s a MrGasket Ultra seal, fits the head perfectly. The orange ring around the intake ports is on both sides…except the other side says “Intake side”, but I flipped them every which way to make sure I wasn’t on crack or something.

It just bums me out, because now I’ll have to wait another week (at the very least to send it back and get another) for this intake….oh well, I’ve been waiting a while to save up the money for this, what’s another week?

Please understand, the intent of this post was not to bash Edelbrock. I know in the casting process this sometimes happens. I believe this is from “core shift”...the mold for the manifold is made out of sand. They actually had this on “How it’s Made” (science channel) a few months back…interesting process. It just looks like my manifold slipped through the QC check. I’m Just posting this so others know why you should take a look at your stuff before slapping parts together.

Edelbrock, Weiand, Holley, MP, Crosswind, factory iron... Doesn't matter. They all have it. The Crosswind I tried was junk because it was porous and the machining sucked. The port alignment wasn't bad, but not great either.

Mine's almost perfect.

My 169.95 (shipped might i ad) Crosswind intake was very nice & port allignment was pretty good, glad i past on the eddy RPM for 309.00 plus shipping, i don't care what some say, you guys would be "shocked" if you really knew the truth. If, I say IF those intakes are "truely" made in the states by Edelbrock, then Ol'e VIC needs his *** kicked & mighty hard, most of his high $$$ stuff ain't worth a ****!!!!!!!!! Your paying for the name anymore, i'm out 8)

Edelbrock has its' own foundrey in LA and it is run by Kristy, Vics' daughter. She keeps a tight rein on production, but it is not impossible to have something slip by once in a while. I know the family and they have no financial need to ruin their reputation by intentionally selling jusk to us Hot Rodders, who have made this company what it is today.

RALPH HORNBECK

SAN DIEGO

my older eddy tunnel ram was way off, like the victor intake.

Pic is Weind, about 3 years old I think... Crosswind wasn't this bad but antifreeze seaping out the rear of it was and the machining was just silly bad.

100_1829.jpg

I know huh.

I will say they have great designs... if they can just learn how to use/setup the equipment right.:toothy10:

made in the usa... but by whom?

LOL, who knows.

You shoulda seen the EB heads I got here once, I mean, wow, the heads were off worse than that.

However my OEM Iron heads seem to hit perfectly, even from the mid 70's.....

Pic is Weind, about 3 years old I think... Crosswind wasn't this bad but antifreeze seaping out the rear of it was and the machining was just silly bad.

A few years ago I ordered a new Weiand Stelth for a street 360 I was building. I could only get 3 of the bolts started, all the rest of the bolt holes were off some by 1/4". The casting was so rough that I also cut my finger on it. Sent it back to Summit in exchange for an Eddy performer.

-
Back