This needs to go viral

-

Mark Wainwright

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
For those of you that think electric vehicles are the answer- this is a true story from a farmer in the Midwest- and I’m reposting it-

A close friend farms over 10,000 acres of corn in the mid-west. The property is spread out over 3 counties. His operation is a "partnership farm" with John Deere. They use the larger farm operations as demonstration projects for promotion and development of new equipment.

He recently received a phone call from his John Deere representative, and they want the farm to go to electric tractors and combines in 2023. He currently has 5 diesel combines that cost $900,000 each that are traded in every 3 years. Also, over 10 really BIG tractors.

JD wants him to go all electric soon.

He said: "Ok, I have some questions How do I charge these combines when they are 3 counties away from the shop in the middle of a cornfield, in the middle of nowhere?" "How do I run them 24 hours a day for 10 or 12 days straight when the harvest is ready, and the weather is coming in?" "How do I get a 50,000+ lb. combine that takes up the width of an entire road back to the shop 20 miles away when the battery goes dead?"

There was dead silence on the other end of the phone.

When the corn is ready to harvest, it has to have the proper sugar and moisture content. If it is too wet, it has to be put in giant dryers that burn natural or propane gas, and lots of it. Harvest time is critical because if it degrades in sugar content or quality, it can drop the value of his crop by half a million dollars or more. It is analyzed at time of sale. It is standard procedure to run these machines 10 to 12 days straight, 24 hours a day at peak harvest time. When they need fuel, a tanker truck delivers it, and the machines keep going.

John Deere's only answer is "we're working on it." They are being pushed by the government to force these electric machines on the American farmer. These people are out of control. They are messing with the production of food crops that feed people and livestock... all in the name of their "green dream."

Look for the cost of your box of cornflakes to triple in the next 24 months...”

Wake up! Stand up! Speak up!

Let's return sanity to our nation.

Well of course the Ag manufacturers are dipping their toes in the EV pond. So are many other venues. I see there are EV planes out now. We have had electric trains out for ever. I wouldn't be too concerned that everything will be cordless any time soon.

The Federal gov ment is making a big push toward ag about GREEN, carbon, N2, any fertilizer, artificial meat. EU is also the leader pushing the pussies in the US. It will bite them in the ***,... watch.

I'm all in favor of reducing pollution, but let's face facts....going electric on a machine used maybe one month out of the year.....stupid.

They need to be far more worried about holding India, South America, and (Gasp) Chy-na to global emission standards.
80% first, 20% later.

Well of course the Ag manufacturers are dipping their toes in the EV pond. So are many other venues. I see there are EV planes out now. We have had electric trains out for ever. I wouldn't be too concerned that everything will be cordless any time soon.
Most locomotives are hybrids with a diesel engine running a generator. There are some totally electric ones though, but they're not powerful or efficient enough to do the same work as the diesel/electrics. I suspect it's coming though. I kinda hope it is. I got no problem with EV technology as long as it will WORK.

I'm all in favor of reducing pollution, but let's face facts....going electric on a machine used maybe one month out of the year.....stupid.

They need to be far more worried about holding India, South America, and (Gasp) Chy-na to global emission standards.
80% first, 20% later.
You're absolutely right. Until we get them on board (don't hold your breath) then they will spew out all this pollution.

As a farmer myself and working full time at a fertilizer plant.. its s scary deal. We are having a future outlook for 2023 for urea fert prices up to $4,000/ton. Average crop farmers cant afford those prices. In 2022 the average cost per ton was $1,600. If they can't spread fert they can't plant corn and well..... look at how many things are corn based.. its not going to be good. As far as the EV. Its not practical for exactly what the OP posted. I work at a minimum 20 hours a day during planting and harvest time and that's feild work and silo unloading. thats not counting fixing broken things and the tractors and combines never shut off until nap time. These people have no idea!!!

I see the value of gas powered vehicles going up.

Until they shut off the fuel pumps.

As a farmer myself and working full time at a fertilizer plant.. its s scary deal. We are having a future outlook for 2023 for urea fert prices up to $4,000/ton. Average crop farmers cant afford those prices. In 2022 the average cost per ton was $1,600. If they can't spread fert they can't plant corn and well..... look at how many things are corn based.. its not going to be good. As far as the EV. Its not practical for exactly what the OP posted. I work at a minimum 20 hours a day during planting and harvest time and that's feild work and silo unloading. thats not counting fixing broken things and the tractors and combines never shut off until nap time. These people have no idea!!!

Agreed, but I suspect it's a passing shortage. I heard on the radio this morning that lumber is back to pre-pandemic pricing. For now.
Fuel costs are going back up due to some bad decisions some people made, and that's not going to help anyone, anywhere.

I prefer to call everything going on, a money grab. One smart person found a way to Jack pricing up on something and everyone followed and everyone keeps paying so why would they go back to normal. Look at the money they have made and people are still buying. Lumber here in WI still changes by the week up and down it definitely isnt back to what the previous normal is yet sadly

I prefer to call everything going on, a money grab. One smart person found a way to Jack pricing up on something and everyone followed and everyone keeps paying so why would they go back to normal. Look at the money they have made and people are still buying. Lumber here in WI still changes by the week up and down it definitely isnt back to what the previous normal is yet sadly
With inflation it'll likely never go back to the old normal (Unless deflation, which is even worse), but lumber is back to it's inflation-adjusted normal. I'll take that over 3x the price any day!!

-
Back