Those late model Magnum timing chain tensioners......

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting one,while my new hyd roller getting ground.Any experiences,or a waste of coin? Please share.

I put one on my 360 I built... Can't say much until I put more miles on the engine and take a look inside though, only about 6000 miles so far.

get one.thry gotta keep the timing more stable as it gets miles on it.sbm's are pretty hard on timing chains.didn't they come stock on magnum engines???

Yes, there stock on the Magnum engines. I just replaced the timing gear set and timing chain tensioner on my Dakotas V6 w/175,000 on it. I'm at approx. 187,000 now. Easy to do.

My magnum didn't have one, and even with a new chain my idle timing was all over the place until I did the lock collar trick on the distributor shaft.

So far so good! I put one on my 273 but really didn't need to with the double roller set. Good idea with a stock type chain. tmm

Attachments

• 042500951525[00].jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 543
I will be using one on my build just because of the distance between crank/cam center line.

The factory installed that tensioner only on the V6 engines. Only their engineers know why it is needed on the V6. It does bolt on the V8 the same.

i put one on my 318 when i freshened it up. we'll see how it works out when i tear it apart for the next rebuild.

I got mine from Mancini, and installed it on my stroker sounded like a good insurance plan but who knows, my car will have such a small amount of miles put on it maybe it wont make any difference....I would install it again anyway it is an inexpensive add-on.

they bolt up just like factory on the magnum block. you use the cam retaining plate bolts to mount it. if you are using a mechanical fuel pump don't forget to drill a 1/64 hole in the oil galley plug in the front of the engine. then drill a 3/8 hole in the tensioner plate so the oil can come through to oil the fuel pump eccentric.

Yes, there stock on the Magnum engines. I just replaced the timing gear set and timing chain tensioner on my Dakotas V6 w/175,000 on it. I'm at approx. 187,000 now. Easy to do.

My magnum didn't have one, and even with a new chain my idle timing was all over the place until I did the lock collar trick on the distributor shaft.

What's the lock collar trick? Don' t want to hijack this thread, can you just provide a link?

What's the lock collar trick? Don' t want to hijack this thread, can you just provide a link?

Put a lock collar on the distributor shaft so it can't travel vertically in the distributor. It keeps the distributor gear from climbing the cam gear.

I think they are a waste and just something to break-wear out. Buy a $130 chain and gear set and forget the tensioner. I don' want anything rubbing against the chain. Factory came out with them for 100,000 mile smog standards and besides those engines don't scream on the freeways.

The 340's never came with them and no pro racers back then used them either--and still don't, so what does that tell you ?

They were OEM on 3.9L V6's because over time the timing chain would develope slack and start slapping against the timing cover causing a tapping noise that sounds like constant lifter tap.

They are good, because they keep the slack out of the chain.....= more steady timing., and more dependable performance.

The OEM 318 Nylon Timing Gear was the WORST thing Chrysler ever did.....it caused more 318 A-body owners to scrap their car than, Rising Fuel Costs, Insurance Premiums, normal wear and tear, or the Highly Expensive and dramatic front suspension rebuild.

I have over 150,000 miles on a 318 with a double roller timing chain and THAT MP tensioner.......
I put them on every SBM " I " build.

Have used the high end Cloyes ,had 3/4" slack one one side.Hence,the reason for the post's intent.

It seems to me their a good investment because I don't care what brand timing chain you use it'll eventually get slack in it and let the timing bounce around.

I put one in the Dart. After 5000 miles had to pull the cover because of a leak. Every thing looked great. No wear on the tensioner. And this sees 6500 rpm regularly. I would recommend one.

Fred B

-
Back