Thought my pinion seal puked

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
Took the 'Cuda out of storage to fill up the gas tank for the first time. Later that day it snowed a couple inches and then after the it melted away a week or 2 later this is what I saw under the rear end. First thought was that the pinion seal had croaked, but after inspection of the stain it appears to be fuel. Any initial thoughts on what might be leaking? After driving a bit and lowering the level it doesn't seem to be leaking now.

Attachments

• IMG_1269.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 182
Thats a substantial amount. perhaps a seal lost its mojo but some fuel on it woke it up. There is a brittle rubber hose that comes off the sender but if the hose leaked, I dont think more fuel would cure it.

Did you just happen to have installed a new fuel sender? The lock ring that comes with a new sender are known to be thinner than stock, so it does not seal as well.

It's been too cold to get out and under it just yet. I have only had it a couple months. But there was on old sending unit in a box in the trunk area when I bought it. Like I said, doesn't seem to be leaking now that the level is down some. Hoping it's that gasket.

It's been too cold to get out and under it just yet. I have only had it a couple months. But there was on old sending unit in a box in the trunk area when I bought it. Like I said, doesn't seem to be leaking now that the level is down some. Hoping it's that gasket.
If it is a new fuel sender that is leaking, it should be the new, thinner lock ring that would cause it. The gasket is fine. Hopefully the old lock ring is in the trunk with the old sender.

If you threw that old lock ring in the trash you better hurry and dig thru it, your gonna need it. You luckily can get one here from a member, dam I can't remember his screen name right now even though I bought one from him, solved my leak.

I haven't thrown anything away yet fortunately. I'll take a look at the parts and see what's there. thanks.

That old lock ring is a different thickness than the new stuff. If that is not it (slim chance) Check the fill tube. Take the filler tube and seal apart after carefully wiping dirt off. I polished the end of mine with grey scotchbrite and cleaned the rubber and put a dab of petroleum jelly on it. Slid it back in, hasnt leaked at fill up since.

PhillH started a good thread on the lock rings, and one of the conclusions was that the new lock rings are the same thickness as the NOS ones that Halifaxhops has, but the NOS ones are a lot stiffer steel. So the NOS ones don't twist and distort and will keep even pressure on the sender seal.

PhillH started a good thread on the lock rings, and one of the conclusions was that the new lock rings are the same thickness as the NOS ones that Halifaxhops has, but the NOS ones are a lot stiffer steel. So the NOS ones don't twist and distort and will keep even pressure on the sender seal.

FYI MOPARMITCH has a bunch left I am out of them.

-
Back