Thoughts and opinions for my 727

-
Just like all this EFI stuff. Takes all the real talent of tuning out of the game and replaces it with easy to learn computer programming. You don't even have to read plugs anymore.
That is absolutely untrue. Any tuner that doesn’t read plugs ain’t a tuner I don’t care if it’s efi, carb, or mfi. And you know that.

That is absolutely untrue. Any tuner that doesn’t read plugs ain’t a tuner I don’t care if it’s efi, carb, or mfi. And you know that.
I don't disagree. But who do you think has more experience reading plugs? An old carburetor guy turned EFI or a newbie who went EFI right off the bat?

I don't disagree. But who do you think has more experience reading plugs? An old carburetor guy turned EFI or a newbie who went EFI right off the bat?
Old guy over newbie all day long and twice on Sunday. Hell 80% of the people here don’t know how to read plugs.

I wonder what all that trans stuff could be had for from other vendors?

Kit, drum, etc.

Even that "old carburetor guy" was a newbie at one time.

To all the 4 gear, clutch haters. The last SS/AH shoot out I watched on video on the internet, the stick cars were quicker and it looked like almost half the field were running 4 speeds again. The new clutch technology is letting them run quicker with more reliability and more consistency than the auto trans cars. For me it will always be 3 pedals, even if I don't win I will guarantee I had more fun and a bigger grin on my face then the guy in the auto trans car.
Chuck and Steve Comella run two cars. A stick car for the shootouts because it's quicker, and an automatic in points races for the consistency. They've been successful doing that. They won Indy last year and the Dutch shootout a little while back in the stick car. They won the NED1 SS championship a couple years ago using the automatic.

I wonder what all that trans stuff could be had for from other vendors?

Kit, drum, etc.
That's a good question, I was hoping that it being in kit for everything would work together very well.
But I think when the covid fog is gone I'll try to source from different venders just for a price comparison.

Never been a stick guy for racing but when you watch this, the heart sort of gets excited........

Honestly looking at the parts list on that kit I don’t think the pricing is all that bad…. I may consider that as I made the mistake of selling my “good” 727 for about 1/2 of what that kit costs. My 904 is definitely quicker but I have two really good 727 converters that made my car very consistent. I’d like to play with them again.

I was looking around for trans parts for my build and came across the Cope 600hp build it yourself kit. It comes with a choice of valve body, billet drum and a bunch of other things.
I'm sorry I can't load up the link because I fabo on my phone.
Anyways the kit should support up to 700 hp.
It's a little over $2200 in price but it seems if I build it like that I won't break it easily.
What do you guys think.
I really don't have any definite numbers on my car yet, power or weight. I've done some calculators with conservative estimates my 470 should be around 640 hp with sft cam and I'm trying to get the car to weigh no more than 3200 with me in the seat.
Thanks guys

@younggun2.0 did a really nice build thread on his 727 for his 470. I don't remember if he listed all the parts and prices he used. I think he did where he sourced them.

I just went through this a couple years ago. If you're willing to search for deals, you can probably piece the parts together at a minimally lower price, but it will be at the cost of your time and any savings will be minimal. I think you'll notice that those parts are going to be very similarly priced no matter where you buy them.

I just went through this a couple years ago. If you're willing to search for deals, you can probably piece the parts together at a minimally lower price, but it will be at the cost of your time and any savings will be minimal. I think you'll notice that those parts are going to be very similarly priced no matter where you buy them.
…..and if you have questions etc, grumpy John is only a phone call away

…..and if you have questions etc, grumpy John is only a phone call away

Which is the reason I'll never buy anything else from him. He knows his **** for sure when it comes to Mopar transmissions, but he could stand to use some lessons in customer service from Dr Diff.

Last edited:
Which is the reason I'll never buy anything else from him. He knows his **** for sure when it comes to Mopar transmissions, but he could stand to use some lessons in customer service from Dr Diff.
I don't mind talking to jerks, I can give it right back & still make friends lol.

@younggun2.0 did a really nice build thread on his 727 for his 470. I don't remember if he listed all the parts and prices he used. I think he did where he sourced them.
Cool thanks I'll look him up, that car is nice I seen it at a Mopar show in Graham WA

Being an old Jarhead, and a recent injury to my left knee from a car coming into my garage at 40 MPH while killing a pedestrian, I had to change my transmission choices. I have to have an auto now. Maybe after my knee replacement, I can row the gearbox again. Until then, I'm modifying my A727 with a 3500 RPM converter, and tranny mods. Not looking for sympathy, that's in the dictionary between Sh** and sympathy. In my opinion, nothing beats banging the gears in an 833. With my "handicap", I'm building a stout A727 for my Swinger.

They are almost indestructible. Ask Tim he loves braking ****. Bet they would be just fine at 6 or 700 HP..

love when I hear this, this is one of 2 liberty prepped 4 speeds I destroyed in short order in a 700hp car. This was also with an expensive slipper clutch. While i absolutely love shifting, I’m at the point that If I wanted to seriously race a stick car it would get a Jerico or G-force. Torque flight's are pretty trouble free even in high HP cars when built right. Don’t forget an aftermarket front drum should be a must.

8E7D9FC5-AD63-45D5-9EC1-AA6DA145DCAE.jpeg

68 Hemi GTS, Funny I slick shifted a 3.09 first 833 myself and ran it for 5 or 6 years till it wore out the clutching teeth and became harder and harder to shift. I sent the gears and cluster to Liberty and had them pro shift 2nd and face plate 3rd and 4th. Seven passes latter 3rd gear let loose and took out the rest of the trans,I think when they weld on the gears they are taking the heat treating out, they said it was because the gears were old and brittle. I bought a freshened Jerico after that from a stock eliminator racer( course it had a Chevy input, so I ordered a Mopar 18 spline input and bearing retainer) and the whole thing cost me just shy of $2500 back in 2011 it's been going strong for over 10 years now.

68 Hemi GTS, Funny I slick shifted a 3.09 first 833 myself and ran it for 5 or 6 years till it wore out the clutching teeth and became harder and harder to shift. I sent the gears and cluster to Liberty and had them pro shift 2nd and face plate 3rd and 4th. Seven passes latter 3rd gear let loose and took out the rest of the trans,I think when they weld on the gears they are taking the heat treating out, they said it was because the gears were old and brittle. I bought a freshened Jerico after that from a stock eliminator racer( course it had a Chevy input, so I ordered a Mopar 18 spline input and bearing retainer) and the whole thing cost me just shy of $2500 back in 2011 it's been going strong for over 10 years now.

never thought of that welding affecting the gears, the ones in that trans had the cryo treatment after they did the mods. I was sick to my stomach when I broke that one. It had a 2.93 first and was an awesome trans. I ran it on the street for a few weeks before I went to the track and broke it. Car has had a TF in it since. If I could rewind the time and money I spent on these old Chrysler boxes initially I could have had a Jerico. I just put together a hemi box for my roadrunner, (has a TF currently). I’m almost thinking about selling off the Chrysler boxes I have a few and just putting that towards a Jerico.

After doing some more reading it's seems guys are having luck with a billet front drum and bolt in sprag is good enough, but from crt that's a little over 1/2 the price of the kit, I'll need to check the price again since I paid 1200 for a 450 dollar roll cage a couple months ago. Hopefully it hasn't rained up that much price wise.

After doing some more reading it's seems guys are having luck with a billet front drum and bolt in sprag is good enough, but from crt that's a little over 1/2 the price of the kit, I'll need to check the price again since I paid 1200 for a 450 dollar roll cage a couple months ago. Hopefully it hasn't rained up that much price wise.
The kit also had a steel front planetary iirc…. another good upgrade.

-
Back