Thoughts on frustrating situation.

-
Contact warranty company before another dollar goes to dealer. Advise them as to what has already transpired. With any luck you will get a knowledgeable person on the other end, not just a call center.
They should authorize the repair/replacement of transmission be it new,reman or used.
In some cases owner pays for the work and is reimbursed for the cost less the deductable.

dealer bought it at auction, with free check engine light illumination. He cleared it,no-his tech cleared it and is trying to avoid any responsibility.

most shops do not honor any aftermarket warranty,its on the policy holder to make the claim. Best of luck.
If its a legit company and a legit claim it should be no problem.

Dealer isnt being very professional at this point.

This really makes you wonder why the car was traded in at the dealership in the first place.
And why it went to auction...

Bare with me , as I go over this.

My 19yr old son bought a 2016 Chrysler 200 s at the end of May. I co signed and we were "persuaded " into the premium extended warranty.10 days after purchase he calls me at 8pm on the side of the interstate , car told him to stop the vehicle and place in park, then locked itself in park.Long story short had to pay towing to dealer he bought it from,and 2 weeks later it was "fixed" and he picked it up, he paid towing and deductible. Fast forward to last Monday car does it again back at same dealer. They finally call this week it's a different issue with Trans so now their charging him diagnostic and they say it needs new transmission they are waiting to see if warranty will cover it. Then proceeds to tell my son he's not sure he can even get the transmission because they are backordered through Chrysler. But can get used ones. Any advice? Any legal responsibility to dealer?

you should have done some research, they were discontinued for a reason ...

I actually just had that same vehicle in my shop with somewhat similar situation. These vehicles have a known issue with the Transmission Control Modules causing many problems, including the locked in gear situation you seem to have encountered. I have not seen a transmission failure, necessitating a full rebuild though. You didn't mention mileage on vehicle, though. I guarantee the used car dealer became aware of the prevalent transmission issues soon after he bought it. The dealer is also well aware of these issues. I think there may be a class action suit underway. I use Snap On scanners, and they do tell ( on some vehicles) how many miles have passed since particular code was cleared, but obviously, not time or date. Dedicated Chrysler ( Stellantis) scan tool may be able to display that data. Good luck.

Sounds like he could use some intelligent advice on what kind of a used vehicle to buy since he already got suckered into a piece of Domestic **** and is already, within days of owning it, getting his wallet flushed from their cheap *** **** technology.

Sounds like you could use some intelligent advice on how to read. OP asked for help on how to handle a company that was screwing them over. He didn’t ask what kind of car he should buy.

Thanks for all the info, the warranty is real it's through a company called pwi. The dealer isn't offering anything except repair of which I'm sure will be a hefty bill. My thinking is its bs because the cel came on and said service transmission within first 100 miles. I called salesman which is the owner of business and told him and he said bring it in or keep driving and see what happens. But my son said it went off so let it go only to fully break down few days later. We have no lemon laws on used cars, but there is a law protecting consumers against buying faulty merchandise. I thought he might have bought car with light on and cleared it to sell representing the car was fine and had no issues, knowing it did. That's why I wondered if actual dodge dealer could read code history and see if had been cleared before we bought it. Probably a long shot I know.

It might be worth taking it to an actual Dodge dealer for an inspection and any history they can give you from their code reader. That way you have a second opinion on the repairs as well.

You’ll probably be out the cost of that inspection and diagnosis though. But definitely call the warranty company. If the second opinion from the Dodge dealer conflicts with the diagnosis from the lot it may be covered anyway. IMO it’s a small price to pay for some clarity on the situation.

This really makes you wonder why the car was traded in at the dealership in the first place.
And why it went to auction...
"make sure you sell a extended warranty on that one" is something I heard at the dealer.

If you can find a willing person at a Chrysler dealer, see what the Chrysler service / warranty history is. Best to go when things are slow.
In my experience, once a code is thrown, it will likely reappear until the issue is fully settled or the light bulb is removed.

Last edited:
First, I would go back to where you bought it and sit down with the actual guy you bought it from, the one that was pushing the warranty on you. There’s a reason he was pushing it, and it’s usually money in his/their pocket. My first sentence would be…”well, you pushed the extended warranty on me, and now I’m going to use it”. Call the warranty company first, and come armed with information, actual information from the warranty company, about whether the warranty covers this repair. If it does, then play hardball until it does cover the repair. If it doesn’t, then insist that they either pay for the repair, or take the car back and refund your money. Then be prepared to use legal leverage if need be. It’s a lemon, it had an existing problem and they know it, and only hardball will get this done.

Ask me about what happened when The Ford dealership told my wife that they wouldn’t cover a vehicle that was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles, with 17k miles on the clock, even with a TSB out on that very repair. Long story short, it was fixed in 2 days!

First, I would go back to where you bought it and sit down with the actual guy you bought it from, the one that was pushing the warranty on you. There’s a reason he was pushing it, and it’s usually money in his/their pocket. My first sentence would be…”well, you pushed the extended warranty on me, and now I’m going to use it”. Call the warranty company first, and come armed with information, actual information from the warranty company, about whether the warranty covers this repair. If it does, then play hardball until it does cover the repair. If it doesn’t, then insist that they either pay for the repair, or take the car back and refund your money. Then be prepared to use legal leverage if need be. It’s a lemon, it had an existing problem and they know it, and only hardball will get this done.

Ask me about what happened when The Ford dealership told my wife that they wouldn’t cover a vehicle that was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles, with 17k miles on the clock, even with a TSB out on that very repair. Long story short, it was fixed in 2 days!

Except it's a used car and there are no lemon laws in Missouri for used cars. Whole different ballgame from new, or even different states because some do have laws regarding the sale of used cars.

Great suggestions from @cosgig .

When you first sit down "remind" him that a 19 year old bought this as his first car. Maybe that will help.

Good luck, I really hope you get something out of them. There is a special place in Hell for people that intentionally rip off decent people just trying to buy a car.

I've been through this with an aftermarket warranty- It should cover a transmission. You call the warranty company and they should set you up with a shop in their "network" who will bill the warranty company directly after they haggle over costs.

First thing I would do is try and contact a dealership with the VIN and request the history. Secondly, slow your roll and see the warranty top to bottom... And then read it again. Unfortunately it only take one word, phrase, or stipulation to get you out of the requirements in regards to what the warranty covers. And unfortunately if it's your word against theirs, you could have no friend in the way of a judge.

If you have a Lemon law in your state, there could be something. It will vary state to state. When you were told about absolutely getting the warranty that should be enough to make you run or accept it could be a problematic vehicle. If the dealership has a record of problems and ending up in court that could be in your favor. But as we all know getting a judgment and actually receiving justice is not always in the same sentence.

JW

Except it's a used car and there are no lemon laws in Missouri for used cars. Whole different ballgame from new, or even different states because some do have laws regarding the sale of used cars.

The van in question with the oil problem was used when we bought it, although we bought it from a Ford dealership that took it in on trade. The moral of the story was that what was written in stone when they told my wife was far from the truth, and I called out the guy who told her that right in front of the boss and the entire staff. And, I had the TSB in my hand, that my buddy who worked for Ford actually wrote, so I was armed with facts they could not dispute. Hardball, and I stick to my advise. And, I never had to invoke anything about any lemon laws in my state, my facts were irrefutable, and they knew it. I think my situation and path of correction are the same as needed here.

Did you get a CarFax report ?
Can you prove the dealer knew it had problems ?
If not, I’d get a rebuilt trans and have it dealer installed.
Rather than paying the deductible over and over.

Did you get a CarFax report ?
Can you prove the dealer knew it had problems ?
If not, I’d get a rebuilt trans and have it dealer installed.
Rather than paying the deductible over and over.
I wonder if you could see the last time a carfax was ordered on that vehicle as well?

That would be interesting

Anytime someone starts posting crap like that just hit the report button. We will get a notification and can deal with it before it get's out of hand.

Anytime someone starts posting crap like that just hit the report button. We will get a notification and can deal with it before it get's out of hand.

I reported this. Take that.

To the OP, I don't know why I didn't realize you were in Missouri. Yep, all used cars in Missouri are tail-light warranty, no lemon law applies.

That said, buying a used trans and swapping in the driveway isn't super hard, but the computer-interface stuff is complicated and sometimes the dealer has to flash the PCM to accept the new unit.

First things first
I'd take it to the Mopar dealer near you, and have them run diagnostics on the trans, it could be something as simple as a bad solenoid, and the car is locking you out to prevent damage. It's highly likely that the used car dealer can't access this functionality in the transmission computer.

Remember, you ASKED for thoughts......here are mine.

Get rid of that POS however you can. Next, find an old Mopar that doesn't require voodoo spells and witchcraft to repair. You know, like our entire old car hobby? Simple, effective transportation. No computer, no modules, just 4 wheels and a motor and a three speed transmission....even manual. Don't you know how to work on your old Mopar? Teach him. He'll learn and he'll never be at the mercy of an unscrupulous dealer again. He can fix it himself.

I stayed outta that fray. It's a recurring theme for me now. Stayin away from it.

-
Back