Thoughts on this combo

-
I don't know what the heck Yellow Rose is squaking about. I do think the main studs are a bit over kill. But what ever makes you sleep soundly at night. Better off over built then under built and over abused.

I also have a '79 Magnum. It currently has a bone stock '00 - 5.9 with bolt on's in it. No cam or head swap yet. RPM intake, Hooker Super Comps, small AVS. Getting there.itll just be a cruiser. My Reggie says 3675lbs. OE 318 auto buckets & console, AC, PB, PS, electric window car.

I have run the RPM Air Gap for a long time now. It is an excellent street, street strip intake. The regular RPM is heated, so it is a more flexible year round intake. Your cam choice. Someone can always come up with a better one and/or rank on what you put in. So long as it works with the compression ratio, gears, converter, you'll be fine.

IMO, there's only 2 headers to look at. TTI's or the 1-3/4 Hooker Super Comp headers which do not route under the steering linkage. Great starter & ground clearance.

I have run the KB-107's twice before. The new 360 for the wife's ride will have the 116 slugs. A 750 would do fine for the 360 & an 850 for the stroker. I'd stroke it if the funds are there.

3.55's are a bit low for the intended cam duration. I also wouldn't worry about a cast crank but for the price, strength and the abuse it will take, forged is the ticket. Can't argue that. But is it really needed?

I can see that a 408 would work nice. The wide ratio trans helps 3.55 gears out nicely.

Thanks for the info, it can be hard to find about Magnums. I'm still trying to decide my exact plan. That's why I posted to get some input and make me think harder.

Yellow Rose doesn't bother me at all. He may be blunt but I can tell he knows what he is talking about and has spent a bunch of time posting good tech to newbs who don't get it. This isn't my first rodeo.

It's all good.

I've had two '79's. I have some written stuff on them. What ever you might need to know, I'll try and help out if I can. Just send a PM.

Ahhh, thanks YR. It's in depth enough to make some people think. Not me, I agree. However, it is void of any specifics, which is OK by me but doesn't really help light a path for anybody else. Which could be bad for any application other than ones own.

I didn't make this post to be told what to get. I want to refresh my memory and add to it so I can decide what is needed when I understand why.

I've been out of this for about 15 years. This was meant to get me thinking more. I have a bunch of years worth of new tech and parts to catch up on.

I really have appreciated every post that has been made. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Going with a 408 built by Kilpatrick with a forged crank and probably a custom ground camshaft. He likes solid lifters instead of juice lifters but that choice is up to me. I guess he has built a few 500hp torque monster 408's with the eddy heads that will run just fine on 91. I guess the Performer RPM will work fine too. The heads will be gone over by him and the intake will be port matched too.

Solid lifter are fine by me but they don't really seem like they are really needed. I'm guessing he has an aggressive lobe design in mind. I've only ran solids in one engine over the years but it was in a high rpm 340.

-
Back