Three-on-the-Tree with 273 4/bbl?

-
Thanks all for this latest round of stories and comments. @AJ/FormS in particular for the impressive number crunching! While eight-on-the-tree using the GV is a true count and sounds impressive, I have no intention of working through the gears with sequential fine splits. I'm imagining first thru fourth with a single hop to overdrive.

So functionally a 5spd; four on the column and a switch. Bench seat, hup cap beige V100 2dr Post with a red Commando under the hood. Though actually a 408 late LA hydraulic roller with 308 heads and 340 exhaust manifolds. I might even run a big bore single exhaust to a repro resonator. A Ford 8.8 traction lock rear from a Ranger with 4.10 gears gives the bonus of 5x4.5 lugs and disk brakes. I know it's a Mopar travesty but $300 compared to what the same spec would cost using an 8.75.

I've been collecting parts for five years, beginning with a rust free car from Kingman AZ with solid floorpans. Thanks again for the helpful info!

I should mention that the column shift mechanism is poor. Mine would drag out of 1st and get hung between neutral and 2nd. Ended up putting in a a tunnel kit and a Hurst shifter. Mine originally came with a crappy clutch disc....think it was 9¼"...car magazine said it shouldn't be used in anything more potent than a washing machine! Managed to get the dealer to put in the 10" Commando clutch for free.
You will also run into this.......

The transmission tunnel in an early A body column shift car is much more narrow than an early A with a 4 speed. I bring this up because you'll not want an A903 behind a Commando motor, but the much heavier duty A230. That poses a problem, since the A230 is essentially the same dimensions as the A833 four speed. There's not enough room in the transmission tunnel of the column shift three speed car for the A230 to fit. I've personally tried it. It will not fit without enlarging all along that left side so the shift rods and levers will clear that side of the tunnel. Mine also hit the top of the tunnel a good inch or more BEFORE the cross member bolt holes lined up, so there's "THAT", too. You're gonna have to do some surgery for sho and fo certain on the transmission tunnel for it to work. It can be done, I am sure. I am getting ready to put a T5 five speed in my 64 Valiant and a LOT of work has to be done to the tunnel for that to work.

The V8 with 3 speed early A combo would have most likely had a 745 transmission a HD version of the 903 with the hump in the top cover to clear the larger input shaft gear.
The 745 might also stand a chance of fitting the transmission tunnel better than the A230. Would be TOUGH to find one for an A body, though.

That goes for the later shells as well, the tunnel-hump covers the surgery required to fit the floor shifter. I suppose with the rods going forward, there might be a tad more room, but like you say, probably Not in the Early A's
Rusty, years ago I was a transmission rebuilder, and I think that you will agree that, while the A745 might fit into the Early-A tunnel, to try and make one live behind a 408, per post 26,will be pointless.

That goes for the later shells as well, the tunnel-hump covers the surgery required to fit the floor shifter. I suppose with the rods going forward, there might be a tad more room, but like you say, probably Not in the Early A's
Rusty, years ago I was a transmission rebuilder, and I think that you will agree that, while the A745 might fit into the Early-A tunnel, to try and make one live behind a 408, per post 26,will be pointless.
Yeah, I don't think it would last long. Better have some spares.

Ugh, I overlooked the various case dimension considerations. And of course the factory 4spds indeed routed the rods inside the floorpan stamping with the necessary tunnel-hump. This is getting more complicated than I first imagined.

The light and slick Tremec TKO is of course the no-brainer of contemporary options. Maybe I'll give in. Light and simple are my number one values, especially when applied to a V100.

Maybe so but with a 408, I just wouldn't sweat it, I'd just put a column-shifted wide-ratio,LU-automatic in it with hiway gears ......... and a narrowed rear with mini-tubs, lol.. BadaBoom!

-
Back