Throttle and Kickdown Cable Selection

-

73Swinger18

✱ⓈⓌⒾⓃⒼⒺⓇ
Reaction score
I just installed my new Weiand Stealth Intake and Holley 600 on my '73 Swinger w/318 and now have to decide how to hook up the throttle and kickdown. I have been looking at Lokar's cables, but wanted to get some input from you guys before I purchase them. Are there other brands that are just as good and maybe a little less expensive? Thanks!

Lokar is GOOD stuff... no doubt others will weigh in here... but I think you'd be hard pressed to do better. It looks like Summit and Jegs have their own.. I'm sure other suppliers do too

I used Lokar on my Barracuda for throttle and kickdown and it was fairly easy to install and adjust. Took my time and got it where it needs to be.

Let me throw this one out there. When Chrysler was building these cars, all sorts of cables were available and being used. WHYWHYWHY did they go through the trouble and expense of engineering very specific mechanical kickdown setups?
If a cable was a viable option for this particular application, Chrysler would have been able to use one universal setup that would have worked with all of their engine/trans/body combinations..saving millions!
The Lokar stuff is a BAND AID fix. It may get the job done for a while, but I would not count on it remaining accurate for any amount of time

The Lokar stuff is a BAND AID fix. It may get the job done for a while, but I would not count on it remaining accurate for any amount of time
????
Why?
Cables last a very long time. Throttle cables don't wear out quckly, so why would a transmission kick-down cable?

I just installed my new Weiand Stealth Intake and Holley 600 on my '73 Swinger w/318 and now have to decide how to hook up the throttle and kickdown. I have been looking at Lokar's cables, but wanted to get some input from you guys before I purchase them. Are there other brands that are just as good and maybe a little less expensive? Thanks!
you could go full manual valve body (no kick down) and just a throttle cable.. a little more work and expense - but WAY more fun... :D

Let me throw this one out there. When Chrysler was building these cars, all sorts of cables were available and being used. WHYWHYWHY did they go through the trouble and expense of engineering very specific mechanical kickdown setups?
If a cable was a viable option for this particular application, Chrysler would have been able to use one universal setup that would have worked with all of their engine/trans/body combinations..saving millions!
I'd rather manufacture something to get my original linkage/cable to hook up, but that may take me way to long and I might lose my mind.

YEARS ago - I had a 79 Trailduster that had a 360 in it - I don't remember the particulars anymore, but I changed the intake and carburetor from the original 2 barrel set up to a 4 barrel - - I had to make my own kickdown lever.. took some careful cutting, drilling and filing and checking/re-checking (and re-checking and re...) but it is 100% doable

????
Why?
Cables last a very long time. Throttle cables don't wear out quckly, so why would a transmission kick-down cable?

Well, consider this. Up until 65, Chrysler used cables for the Throttle, Shifter, and Park mechanism in the trans, but STILL used a completely mechanical kickdown setup.
Why?? I'm not a transmission engineer...but Chrysler had the best guys in the industry designing this stuff. I'm not gonna second guess them.

My kickdown set up

Picture 1239.jpg

Picture 1238.jpg

Picture 1237.jpg

If you change from 2V stock to LD4B Holley with a late model 904 lockup transmission you could manufacture mechanical linkage for both if you had no job and weeks to do the job. Admittedly it would be doable but that conversion is not friendly to time-pressed weekenders who have already spent 6 years part time building their car. And the Lokar setup was recommended to me by more than one person who does this for a living. Also, nothing stays static on these builds, they are always changing and Ma's engineering has to change with them. A little tweaking once in a while is a small price to pay.
My $0.02 worth which is exactly what its worth.

If you change from 2V stock to LD4B Holley with a late model 904 lockup transmission you could manufacture mechanical linkage for both if you had no job and weeks to do the job. Admittedly it would be doable but that conversion is not friendly to time-pressed weekenders who have already spent 6 years part time building their car. And the Lokar setup was recommended to me by more than one person who does this for a living. Also, nothing stays static on these builds, they are always changing and Ma's engineering has to change with them. A little tweaking once in a while is a small price to pay.
My $0.02 worth which is exactly what its worth.
This ain't rocket science. The first link between the carb and bellcrank needs to be lengthened approx. 1.5 inches.
I saw one setup where the guy couldn't weld, so he cut and threaded the rod and screwed in a piece of tubing.

Maybe a good question to ask is "Has anyone every had problems with an aftermarket throttle pressure cable setup". While they may not have come stock on our cars, a lot of effort has gone into engineering a cable replacement to the rod linkage system that was stock. I'd like to think that the guys at Lokar and Bouchillon have some idea what they are doing given the number of products they've sold and continue to sell.
Personally, tried both the Lokar and Bouchillon and like the Bouchillon setup better; I wasn't a fan of Lokar's adjustment system of pinching a cable between a set screw and the linkage housing ala 10 speed bicycle brakes.

Maybe a good question to ask is "Has anyone every had problems with an aftermarket throttle pressure cable setup". While they may not have come stock on our cars, a lot of effort has gone into engineering a cable replacement to the rod linkage system that was stock. I'd like to think that the guys at Lokar and Bouchillon have some idea what they are doing given the number of products they've sold and continue to sell.
Personally, tried both the Lokar and Bouchillon and like the Bouchillon setup better; I wasn't a fan of Lokar's adjustment system of pinching a cable between a set screw and the linkage housing ala 10 speed bicycle brakes.
They didn't engineer jack..the better of the two is a direct copy of the GM setup used in the 80s and 90s.
If you like your cable, use your cable. I'm only pointing out that Chrysler went through enormous pains to use a mechanical linkage, when cables were also in common use.
They had to have a very good reason for that.

i've used the LOKAR throttle and kickdown on numerous cars over the years... also installed them on quite a few friends cars too and never had an issue with them. shift points are great. my trans builder was impressed when he saw it years ago when i first started using them.. band aid fix?? hardly. never had one come out of adjustment or fall apart. thats just crazy talk in my opinion..

chrysler has done a lot of things over the years that make ya scratch your head. they could have saved millions in many different ways and chose not to.. most likely just poor business sense. hell they were almost out of business in the later 70's no?

be careful of the lokar knock off stuff. have heard of them breaking because its not made as well..

Last edited:
Tony im looking for shift selector bushing for 74 duster with 9o4 trans

-
Back