[Found!] Throttle Cable for V8 swap

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Points to consider... A least half dozen members have been unable to get wide open throttle from the OEM cable when using certain aftermarket 4 brl. carbs. The OEM cable didn't provide enough travel or throw.
At least one member used a metal sheathed aftermarket throttle cable which chaffed through wire casings and caused a wire harness fire. A-body bulkhead connection is just too close.
The mo you know. Good luck with it.

Points to consider... A least half dozen members have been unable to get wide open throttle from the OEM cable when using certain aftermarket 4 brl. carbs. The OEM cable didn't provide enough travel or throw.
At least one member used a metal sheathed aftermarket throttle cable which chaffed through wire casings and caused a wire harness fire. A-body bulkhead connection is just too close.

I ended up using a 340 cable in my 440/505 swap, w/ a carb. stud mounted alum. set up for throttle bracket and kickdown,< which is a bouchilion-----

There are three different length cables for A-BODIES. /6, 318 2bbl and the shortest is 340,360 4bbl. The cable has nothing to to with the fulcrum of the peddle.

What the problem is with the carb travel compared to the peddle is the carb. There are different brackets for the carb linkage that bolt to the carb that changes the geometry. They are different but available for Holley ,Carter, and Edelbrock. They correct the linkage geometry.

318 cable works the best with a high rise 4bbl intake. It is shorter than a /6 but longer than a 340,360.

Remember the bracket that holds the cable to the intake is different. I just changed to a 4 bbl intake on a 318. I had to replace three pieces. Carb rod to swivel made it. lever on trans from a 68 on back 904. and the cable bracket on intake I made from two 2 bbl brackets. It works perfect and have done many like this

The motor and trans are still on the K member stand in the shop if you want pics.

I also have all length cables, Used but in good condition. dodge trucks fall between /6 and 318. $10.00 plus ride.You decide what length. flat rate should be around $6.00

The second two pics are a 318 cable on a high intake. The first is another 318 with a 4 bbl intake. Made all parts using factory pieces. Note the bracket bolted to carb for correct Geometry. Aftermarket throttle systems suck. They usually break when your far from home. I've seen better cables on Chinese mini bikes.

DSCN0008.JPG

DSCF0039[1].jpg

DSCF0041[1].jpg

There are three different length cables for A-BODIES. /6, 318 2bbl and the shortest is 340,360 4bbl. The cable has nothing to to with the fulcrum of the peddle.

What the problem is with the carb travel compared to the peddle is the carb. There are different brackets for the carb linkage that bolt to the carb that changes the geometry. They are different but available for Holley ,Carter, and Edelbrock. They correct the linkage geometry.

318 cable works the best with a high rise 4bbl intake. It is shorter than a /6 but longer than a 340,360.

Remember the bracket that holds the cable to the intake is different. I just changed to a 4 bbl intake on a 318. I had to replace three pieces. Carb rod to swivel made it. lever on trans from a 68 on back 904. and the cable bracket on intake I made from two 2 bbl brackets. It works perfect and have done many like this

The motor and trans are still on the K member stand in the shop if you want pics.

I also have all length cables, Used but in good condition. dodge trucks fall between /6 and 318. $10.00 plus ride.You decide what length. flat rate should be around $6.00

The second two pics are a 318 cable on a high intake. The first is another 318 with a 4 bbl intake. Made all parts using factory pieces. Note the bracket bolted to carb for correct Geometry. Aftermarket throttle systems suck. They usually break when your far from home. I've seen better cables on Chinese mini bikes.

View attachment 1715263323

View attachment 1715263324

View attachment 1715263325
Are the bottom 2 pictures of a 4 speed car? Did you fabricate that bracket?

Jake

It has nothing to do with cable length.

Thx. I’ll research before I buy. Hooking up to an edelbrick carb.

Are the bottom 2 pictures of a 4 speed car? Did you fabricate that bracket?

Jake
This is a auto car with a manual shift valve body. The bracket was made from using two small block truck brackets. Check this blower on my ram it has factory throttle pressure hooked up.

steve 027.jpg

Much of this problem^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^can be overcome by by where u hook the cable to carb or throttle body !!

The 340-360 Thermoquad equipped cars used a different cable than the 68-70 AVS cars. I think the TQ cable is made to have a little more travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back