Throttle cable

-
I'm confused here. Why not just use the correct stuff? The cable bracket and cable from any 340 A body automatic. It will fall right in place and bolt right on.

Going from a slant 6 to 360 la in a 75 dart i noticed my throttle is extremely too long. Anyone done this conversion used the factory cable or im i gonna have to replace it?

View attachment 1715647390
Hey Kevin, not to change the subject here but is that magnum exhaust manifolds you have installed there?
I remember us talking about that in a different thread. So how do they actually fit and will the exhaust pipes fit in ok?

I need 2 cables for 2 cars. Slant 6 is 24.25" long. About 5 inches longer than stock small block V8. The old one in my mockup pic then must have been a slant 6 cable since that's what was in my 67 when I bought the car. PN# ATP Y 155 for 67 up A body slant 6 shows up in rock auto, but not under vehicle application. I planned on modding the mount bracket to raise the cable up about an inch. In my mockup the gas pedal moves smoothly to WOT, and with dual return springs it closes nice without binding. I think the 24" slanty cables will work fine on both my 67 and sons 69. Cant beat the price either. 2 cables for $33

Screenshot_20201213-092206_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Kevin, not to change the subject here but is that magnum exhaust manifolds you have installed there?
I remember us talking about that in a different thread. So how do they actually fit and will the exhaust pipes fit in ok?
Yes they the magnum manifolds and they actually fit great. The downpipe in the driverside is gonna be a little tight. But I think I can manage. I haven't got them in yet because the bolts I bought are to long and I haven't gotten the chance to go get shorter ones yet lol will get some pictures for you

I'm confused here. Why not just use the correct stuff? The cable bracket and cable from any 340 A body automatic. It will fall right in place and bolt right on.
Thats what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to figure out what the "correct" stuff is. I dont have a bunch of 340 parts laying around I can just test fit on. Lol

My75 Dart was a /6 originally, po had been using the original throttle cable, I picked up a cable from a mid 70's D100 360/727 back in the fall, along with the bracket and kickdown. Had to do some slight mods on the kickdown but it seems to work well now.

Thats what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to figure out what the "correct" stuff is. I dont have a bunch of 340 parts laying around I can just test fit on. Lol
#9 wire from the carb through the firewall and through the dash wrapped around a bolt for a T-handle. Truly then you could "pull the rip cord"!

#9 wire from the carb through the firewall and through the dash wrapped around a bolt for a T-handle. Truly then you could "pull the rip cord"!
Lol that slant cable is long enough I just gotta attach a t handle to it haha

My75 Dart was a /6 originally, po had been using the original throttle cable, I picked up a cable from a mid 70's D100 360/727 back in the fall, along with the bracket and kickdown. Had to do some slight mods on the kickdown but it seems to work well now.
That makes me feel better because most of my stuff came from pickups. I wish I would have thought about this 16 plus years ago when the A body junkyard was still open. There was a guy that had piles and piles of abodys I could have just went down there and plunked a kickdown and throttle bracket and he probably wouldn't have even charged me. Sadly that place is long gone now thanks to the cash for clunkers back 10 years or so ago

That makes me feel better because most of my stuff came from pickups. I wish I would have thought about this 16 plus years ago when the A body junkyard was still open. There was a guy that had piles and piles of abodys I could have just went down there and plunked a kickdown and throttle bracket and he probably wouldn't have even charged me. Sadly that place is long gone now thanks to the cash for clunkers back 10 years or so ago
Yeah a lot of good parts are gone forever.

So the question here and forgive me for not reading through it all (lol) but have you figured out the Throttle cable you need and the Part number?

JW

So the question here and forgive me for not reading through it all (lol) but have you figured out the Throttle cable you need and the Part number?

JW
Yes I have ordered the correct cable now the issue the bracket im using is wrong too lol Rob sent the correct one for it too now I just gotta find a kickdown linkage that will work with that. I have the late 70s early 80s style that has the sliding bar not the thread on bar. And the linkage is one piece. I was told that style will not work on an abody

I already bought the cable but still need the bracket thanks!! What style kickdown will I need with that bracket there is so many different types and combinations I had no idea. I'd rather not use the cable but I will if I have too.

That I have no idea..... They made so many different ones. Don't be surprised if you don't end up with a cable kickdown. Since I am going with a Sniper and I have a Bouchilon kit that's what I am going to try.... But I am not overly impressed with and everyone on this thread keeps saying Lokar... Food for thought...

JW

That I have no idea..... They made so many different ones. Don't be surprised if you don't end up with a cable kickdown. Since I am going with a Sniper and I have a Bouchilon kit that's what I am going to try.... But I am not overly impressed with and everyone on this thread keeps saying Lokar... Food for thought...

JW
Yea there is so many im completely lost haha! I want to avoid the cable at all cost. I know it sounds crazy and alot of people use them and like them but I don't. For one I don't trust them, 2 there is to many other mods you gotta do to make it work right, changes brackets and levers throttle cables and holes in the carb linkage etc, and 3 I don't like the aftermarket look. I know it sounds crazy with a build like mine but I want under the hood to look orginal. I went with manifolds for that reason I just like that factory 70s appearance and I don't want chrome lokar crap ruining that haha

Yea there is so many im completely lost haha! I want to avoid the cable at all cost. I know it sounds crazy and alot of people use them and like them but I don't. For one I don't trust them, 2 there is to many other mods you gotta do to make it work right, changes brackets and levers throttle cables and holes in the carb linkage etc, and 3 I don't like the aftermarket look. I know it sounds crazy with a build like mine but I want under the hood to look orginal. I went with manifolds for that reason I just like that factory 70s appearance and I don't want chrome lokar crap ruining that haha

It's a proven reliable system. Nothing wrong with it.... Your best bet is to find a complete setup you can remove yourself. I saw a Volare last year untouched with a V8 that is what you need to find. Maybe not the exact fit but every part was there and all original..

JW

I already bought the cable but still need the bracket thanks!! What style kickdown will I need with that bracket there is so many different types and combinations I had no idea. I'd rather not use the cable but I will if I have too.

I forget Kevin, what transmission are you running?

I don't see a problem with that fit.. I can get them at my local pic&pull for $25 each.
I may just grab a few next time I get over there.
Yea they fit surprisingly well and those downpipes are super cheap too. I got them from summit i think that they where 8 dollars each. I was told that they won't fit with the factory column shift because of the zbar I deleted all that when I went to the Hurst shifter so it was no big deal for me. I can see where it would be an issue for a column shifted car.

Yea they fit surprisingly well and those downpipes are super cheap too. I got them from summit i think that they where 8 dollars each. I was told that they won't fit with the factory column shift because of the zbar I deleted all that when I went to the Hurst shifter so it was no big deal for me. I can see where it would be an issue for a column shifted car.
Ya, It wouldn't work on mine with a 4speed, the Z bar is right in the way.

I just looked up downpipe for you they have went up since I ordered them lol they where 9.99 now they are 11.99 lol but this is what I got.

Screenshot_20201213-211333_Samsung Internet.jpg

-
Back