Throttle cable

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Going from a slant 6 to 360 la in a 75 dart i noticed my throttle is extremely too long. Anyone done this conversion used the factory cable or im i gonna have to replace it?

20201211_204348.jpg

Yes, you will need a different cable. What intake and carb are you running? The 68-70 AVS cars used a different cable that the 71 up Thermoquad carbed cars. Some places sell a cable for 68-76 4 barrel smallblocks, don't get that one if you are using a TQ. Imperial Services has both of them.

Yes, you will need a different cable. What intake and carb are you running? The 68-70 AVS cars used a different cable that the 71 up Thermoquad carbed cars. Some places sell a cable for 68-76 4 barrel smallblocks, don't get that one if you are using a TQ. Imperial Services has both of them.
Im running a 1972 340 intake and thermoquad so the tq is a specific cable? I have never hears of imperial i will look that up thanks

The cable is listed under 1971-1976 A Body V8 4 bbl. Part number IS541. and they are $99.00. Some people have a hard time getting stuff from them, so do a little research.

Also look into a throttle cable bracket from a mid 70s 4 barrel ram van if you can find one. It will set the cable farther to the left and up at the right angle. See pix below. I cut the kickdown horn off it since it's going on a 4 speed setup. The manifold on the mockup is an Edelbrock RPM. A stock 4bbl intake the cable will sit more level since the carb sits little lower. If you cant find one, let me know. I am gonna hit the junky again to get one for my sons car 318 with stealth 8022 intake. If I can pick up an extra I will.

20200810_183941.jpg

20200811_112939.jpg

Also look into a throttle cable bracket from a mid 70s 4 barrel ram van if you can find one. It will set the cable farther to the left and up at the right angle. See pix below. I cut the kickdown horn off it since it's going on a 4 speed setup. The manifold on the mockup is an Edelbrock RPM. A stock 4bbl intake the cable will sit more level since the carb sits little lower. If you cant find one, let me know. I am gonna hit the junky again to get one for my sons car 318 with stealth 8022 intake. If I can pick up an extra I will.

View attachment 1715647513

View attachment 1715647514
I think that's the same style I have. I have two of them. One was a late 70s the other was early 80s

Got a discount code? Or did you load up with more than $100 worth of goodies?
I just found it on year one then searched the part number on ebay! I do that all the time thats how I find the best deals I will search ebay Amazon Rockauto auto zone etc alot of times those big box stores have Amazon and ebay stores and offer free shipping. Oh bet I lied to you that is not the same bracket I have here is the one I have!

20201212_150936.jpg

Just tie a string to the throttle lever and run it through the driver window. lol

I've found when they list a cable fitting from 68 to 76, that is for the AVS carb. The TQ has a little longer throttle travel than the AVS, hence the cable might be to short. Being that you are not using a 71-76 A Body Thermoquad throttle bracket, you might be okay. Let us know how it fits.
Found the throttle cable! Year one for 35 bucks!!

View attachment 1715647668

-
Back