Throttle pressure adjustment

-

mopar4

Reaction score
Does anyone know the proper way to adjust the throttle pressure/kick down lever on a 1967 dodge dart hi -po 273 thanks in advance.

There is a proceedure detaiedl in factory service manuals. Your 67 should have the same bellcrank as found on all 2nd gen' A-bodies. So for example a 72 model manual would work . The only flaw you may find in those instructions is 3 words missing between a couple of steps. they state place a drill bit through a hole in the bellcrank. They left out "remove drill bit" before proceeding with next step.

eye to eye flat out detent must be depressed for passing gear in flat out position. If your adjustment is way off at idle your geometry is off. This may be do to the wrong trans lever . Redrill move the hole until the geometry is correct. Once you achieve eye to eye flat out. you cannot add more pressure or you will hold your throttle up. The manual works fine if you are sure you have all the components that came on the particular modlel car and trans combo.

The piece at the carb is slotted, is this correct? If so should there be a space before the throttle makes contact? If so how much space any help would be great thanks in advance.

No, there should be a return spring holding the linkage up against the post on the carb. Following the factory service manual is best if your system is still stock. If things have been modified, you may have to do some trial and error. The idea is to get it adjusted to where the kickdown linkage is all the way into detent (all the way back) when the throttle is wide open and that the kickdown linkage is vitually all the way forward when the throttle is closed. This way the transmission knows how hard or soft to shift.

Thanks so much ! I bet that's my problem the slotted linkage at the carb is about 3/4" from the carb stud at idle I will adjust that until I meets the carb stud and make sure it goes all the way to the rear at wide open throttle.that should give me a good start and I will fine toon from there, does that seam reasonable ? Thank again.

Here's my modified setup. I removed the linkage spring so you could see the LH/RH Lowes turnbuckle I use to get the throttle shift pressure correct. I needed a rod for the car when I bought it and just modified one I was given from a Mopar.

Attachments

• IMAG0005.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 190
All the above. Want a harsher tire burning shift? Adjust the rod to go back sooner, in the travel, but keep it to still give wot.

-
Back