tick tick tick

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Hey guys working on a 318 that was rebuilt, with about 15 thousand miles on it so I thought I would install a 280 480 comp cam and there lifters and there springs all went well did all the right break in stuff.had no idea of the tick when I first firered it up because of the open headers.Well today I installed my exhaust kit sounds great but I have a tick at the top end booth sides pulled the valve covers off and has good oiling at the rockers,also new oil 10 w 30 any thoughts of how to find out what is happening,I dont have an oil pressure gague so no clue what its at,if I rev it its still there o I am useing the stock 318 heads for now.I guess rebuilding that 360 will happen over the winter now if we cant get this tick figured Thanks guys looks like geting her out this year is dead now:angry7:

Header gasket leak?What kind of header gaskets?It could be a simple gasket leak Snake.If I recall this 360 was a runner right?Hope it,s something simple,nothing better than a Thanksgiving cruise in Ontario!Good Luck!

P.s I have the cooper gaskets,no complaints.I even reused after engine rebuild 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply Pettybludart, header gaskets came with the dynomax headers.after posting earlier I even tryed different rockers and shafts still there.Tomorrow I will check out the header flange to see if its loose.dam so close.even if i cant get her quiet she is still going in for the safly and front end aliement. Good night.

I think pettyblue is on the right track. Check your header to head gaskets. The paper ones they give you always leak.

If they,re sticklers,won,t pass safety with exhaust leaks(fumes)hopefully they turn a blind eye?IF this is your tic,tic??

Geezes guys i see no black sutt around the ports havent check but will soon i will let ya no.It almost sounds like a slant 6 running.

use a 3/8 fuel hose to check for leak put one end at one of your ears and check around flange with other end if no leak could be lifters

No leaks at the header all is well there.I did hear that comp had a batch of bad lifters,how do I tell if the lifters are bad?

Well guys I was looking the net and found a dodge site that someone had the same problim like me.All the replys said comp cam and lifters are noisey mine does quit down when you rev it,so they said just ignore it.

I've had different dodge small blocks over the years and they've all had a lifter tick at one time or another. Usually goes away in a half mile or less. Don't take my experience as gospel, but you should be OK.

does it rattle at start up? id try adding a quart of oil or Lucus. mabey lifter bores are worn. you need to throw a cheap oil pressure unit on there to check pressure at high rpm.

Na it dont rattle at start up just has a tick thing is it was a quit motor befor the cam change,like i said also over at anouther mopar site all said its the comp cam and lifters there bad for this on mopars.I do need to get a oil pressure gague anyway.Thanks for the help.

-
Back