Time For a rebuild

-
You could take a ton off that elbow of yours. Is yours a 4150 or 4500 size opening on the intake?
Based on measurements if i cut another inch down and opened the 4150 to 4500 id gain plenum. Lol

Mine is a 4150, the 4500 have a large bolt pattern too. How is your build coming?

Ive been to busy with life to even look at it. Need to get it to the chassis shop to get the engine/trans mounted up and some other odds and ends. I just never have the time to even call before 9pm these days. Should calm down my end of march so i can get some stuff done on it.

Just my luck, I took the 6.1 apart to take to machine shop so we could sonic test the bores. I also took the 5.7 which I thrashed till 2 am to get apart as a backup just in case as I know the 6.1 has thin cyl walls. Drove 4 hrs sonic test the 6.1 and find I have .080- .100 on the trust and.060 on the non thrust side. Even found a .042 on the non thrust side. I new these books were thin but come on. 5.7 didn't get much better with .120 on thrust but need .020 over bore as it broke the ring land and my friend drove 150miles with it like. Since this is getting some boost I don't trust those cyl walls so aluminum block, Scat 3.9 crank and rods on the way.

What a bummer , I would not have thought the bores would be that thin .

It's been a very long time since I have updated, getting things done as time allows. Wiring is almost complete, new block and rotating are at the machine shop. No pics at this time but will update when I can. Going to get this thing to make some noise soon.

Cheers

I recommend pressure testing the water side of that aluminum block, been some leakers from what ive read. Please dont put all the money into machining it without first checking the casting.

We went through it. Checked the sleeves were seated the oil return gallery has thin spot checked that. It all seems good, from my understanding there was issues with these blocks but the new castings have resolved these problems.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Well it's been a long time since posting, I am still picking away on the Dart. 90% of the wiring is finished, picked up the engine today, need a converter and then the engine will go in and the Fast harness will go in for the last time.

I know I don't update a lot, but I have gotten some small work done. Rear suspension is now at ride height after having to order new rear springs. Engine and trans are in the car. New water pump and alt waiting install. Then I will put the fast wiring in and make new fuel rail mounts as I am putting in ID1000's and they are a little shorter the the Deka I was planning to use. I think I need to get the front down a little but will wait and see once all the weight is on the front.

IMG_3435.JPG

IMG_3437.JPG

So been plugging away, hot side of the turbo kits is on, starter is in, converter is bolted to flex plate. 3/4 of the fast xfi is in, need to wire the trans brake, bump in and fast dash/data logger, couple sensors and boost controller. Still have a lot of things to finish but want to get the car running.

IMG_3676.JPG

-
Back