Time to play - what are these parts?

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Found in the trunk of my 66 barracuda

What are these? Do they fit in the spare tire to help hold up the spare tire cover?

Anybody have pictures of these in use?

thank you kindly

james

IMG_0494[1].JPG

IMG_0495[1].JPG

not sure if that is a positive or a negative statement about your ex

Could be mistaken but I think they are the clips used to help get tire chains around the tire, but I haven't seen a pair of them in 30+ years...

That's funny right there! You were a lucky man! Mine would be a lot closer to the floor, lol.

I have a '66 and I haven't seen anything like them. Hey @cosgig you ever seen any??

I have not seen these in any car I've ever had, and don't see where they would go!! I can't picture them being used in the spare tire to hold up the board, that would not be of much help!! I guess I'm in the camp that they are not Mopar specific parts, and in fact may be the legs to a camp stove!!!

They dont look uniform. Homemade perhaps. Used to hold up trunk lid if original prop rod was lost or broken? Complete guess. LOL.

If I was to make a pair of handles, that snapped into openings in a wheel, so wife could lift the spare from the well like a pot off the stove, that's about what they would look like.
I think they really are to aide in snow chain install.

Last edited:
They look like wire handles from a small bucket/pail/can.
Very similar to old paint cans...
C

Could be mistaken but I think they are the clips used to help get tire chains around the tire, but I haven't seen a pair of them in 30+ years...

This^

Its used for cars that have fender skirts or hooded wheel wells. You lay the chains out, loop the ends of the chains through the "hooks", then the narrow part grips the tire sidewall as you slowly back over the chains, and routes the chains up and over the tire. The correct term would be "snow/tire chain applier"

I found very similar items on the internet. Pretty cool - never would have guessed but it makes sense. And would be a lot easier

thanks

009.jpg

s-l225.jpg

This^

Its used for cars that have fender skirts or hooded wheel wells. You lay the chains out, loop the ends of the chains through the "hooks", then the narrow part grips the tire sidewall as you slowly back over the chains, and routes the chains up and over the tire. The correct term would be "snow/tire chain applier"

Isn't this new software GREAT?? The multiquote doesn't work!!

Tire chains is exactly what these are for

This^

Isn't this new software GREAT?? The multiquote doesn't work!!

Yeah it do.

I thought they were the Hydraulic lifter plunger retainers on some VERY large lifters? No? Damn , wrong again.

-
Back