Time to remove and repair, possibly replace, under dash harness

-
Alrighty, I have my replacement wires, I'm waiting for my terminals, and I have a plan of action.

Clearly what happened is my charging circuit overheated, for whatever reason, and damaged the red and black wires and some of the surrounding wires. The damage extends from the bulkhead to the ammeter connectors (which have been bypassed).

The branches of the harness look good so those will be left alone.

I am only going to repair what is necessary and get this harness back in the car. It was actually pretty easy to remove and I think it will be pretty easy to reinstall as well.

My plan is to trace each damaged wire as far back from the bulkhead as the damage goes, splice in a new wire and run the new wire to the bulkhead connector with a new terminal.

All of the wires running to the bulkhead will be removed, inspected, cleaned and repaired where necessary.

I'll post some progress pics over the weekend.

Thanks everybody!

I finished the job this weekend.

I only fixed what was necessary, and it turned out great. I ran a whole new charging circuit from the bulkhead to where the ammeter used to be, it’s spliced and soldered now. Those wires were obviously the problem and the worst. My welded splice was in good shape.

All five wires from the bulkhead to the wiper switch were replaced end to end. Installed new terminals in all of these wires.

I spliced in a section of the yellow wire to the starter and also taped a section of the ignition wire. There were a couple other sections I had to splice, but overall it went well. I guess time will tell the quality of my crimping and soldering.

It also gave me the opportunity to fix a couple of previous Mickey duck repairs.

I didn’t pull apart any of the branches that weren’t damaged, which included the headlight branch, ignition switch connector, turn signal connector, rear harness, dimmer switch, etc. These connectors were all in good shape.

It took a relatively slow paced weekend to do the repairs and reinstall.

thanks for the help everyone! Go Bills!

-
Back