Timing chain still loose

-

82CRUISER

Reaction score
Bought a new double roller timing chain set for my 97 360 magnum. The old one was loose and had many miles on it. When I got it on it still had a good bit of slack. I counted the teeth and links and they are the same. I also double checked part numbers and all was good. Has anyone had similar issues with these problems.

They make a undersize chain, also is there a tensioner in there.

"Manufacturing tolerances." I'm not familiar with the mag, and it's been a LONG time but at one time you could by "undersize" cam drive sets. An example would be an engine that has been aligned bored and now has the crank centerline a bit closer to the cam centerline

I see this referred to a lot. Any machine shop that align hones or align bores a block that has not incurred damage, but only to bring the crank bore in line and then makes the block require a shorter than stock timing chain, doesn't know what the heck they're doing.

The proper procedure is to remove the main caps and remove a small amount of metal from where they meet the block. Usually this is .010" or less. Then replace the caps and do the realignment. The key is to remove more from the cap side as to keep the crank bore in the same or VERY close to the same place to vertical. This way, only a tiny, tiny amount is removed from the block......only a "skim" cut if you will.

That is the correct method and if you find a shop that will not do it in that way, run.

So buy a tensioner? The block is stock and has not been machined

Define loose. The service manual has specs for it. They aren't supposed to be guitar string tight.

Do yourself a favor. Don't get the MP part number. Get the Cloyes. It's cheaper. Cloyes makes it for MP so it's the exact same part.

I know for a fact that I put a new Comp chain on my 94 360 mag and it was loose as can be.
Put a old un-used MP performance on it at it was tight.

I suggest trying a different brand of chain, Cloynes make one that is real nice for less than $50

The clothes set was the one I got. I will be getting a tensioner

Attachments

• image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 210
I would send it back, that is too loose, there are different grades of clyones, billet vs cast.
If you bought the cheapest one, you got what you paid for.
I think on that year magnum you have to drill and tap the block to get the tensioner to work.

I would run the timing chain tensioner,anyway. Times 2, on Rusty's Cloyes comments. Can be looked up as ,a early-mid 90's 3.9 Dakota six cylinder.

I disagree that the chain is too loose. With all the slack out of one side, that looks about right to me. They are not supposed to be extremely tight.

I would run the timing chain tensioner,anyway. Times 2, on Rusty's Cloyes comments. Can be looked up as ,a early-mid 90's 3.9 Dakota six cylinder.

That is the exact tensioner that I put on my 2001 5.2. RockAuto is the cheapest place that I found. Search for RockAuto in the General Discussion section and you can probably find a 5% discount.

-
Back