Timing chain tensioner

-

z_daddy

z_daddy
Reaction score
I have a LA 273 engine I'm playing with changing cam , lifters, valve train , I'm changing to a double roller timing chain . My question is will I still need to use the chain tensioner ?

I put one in mine, but there are lot of 150-200K motors out there with OE chains (Non-nylon, natch).

I did notice a way-stable timing mark with the tensioner compared to without.

It's a nice addition but not necessary.

Timing will be more stable with one installed so inturn that should account for a better running engine and a little more power.

I think you are right. It will keep the timing from jumping around from the chain floopin, but it will not keep the timing from retarding over time from the chain stretching.

does anyone have the mopar part number for the tensioner? I hear there still available through chrysler

I think you are right. It will keep the timing from jumping around from the chain floopin, but it will not keep the timing from retarding over time from the chain stretching.

X2 I put one on because I had one but really not necessary with a double roller set up.

So I've read all the responses only to confuse me more except one said not with a double roller ( that was my guess ) however I don't want the timing jumping around , preference is to be stable . My 340 doesn't have one that's why I wasn't sure

If I was just putting a stock or heavy duty chain I would just use the tensioner but since I'm going to a true double roller didn't think I would need it thanks for all the help I guess I will toss a coin

I run one on my 340 with the double roller chain. Was recommended by Mike at MRL. I had to take the cover off because of a slight water leak after 5000 miles. Every thing looked good. No wear on the pads of the tensioner. I will always run one on mine.

Fred B

Double roller and true roller chains stretch too. Not as much as a silent chain, but they still stretch. The purpose of the tensioner is to keep it taut at all times, even after the chain has stretched some. That makes for more stable timing. A bigger/more radically ground cam and stronger valve springs will wear a chain/gearset faster because it puts more load on it.

I run one on my 340 with the double roller chain. Was recommended by Mike at MRL. I had to take the cover off because of a slight water leak after 5000 miles. Every thing looked good. No wear on the pads of the tensioner. I will always run one on mine.

Fred B

Thanks Fred guess I put it back on

Imma wager that Cloyes makes it for Chrysler. That Rockauto link looks exactly like mine.

Timing will be more stable with one installed so inturn that should account for a better running engine and a little more power.

I installed one on my high mileage 340 and it help the timing stability a lot!

Every one said Don't bother! there two weak and won't help!

I have a new one and planned on installing it on my new 408. New chain and new tentioner didn't mix for me,(to tight) so i will have to wait until this one is high mileage :D

I could have got it on with a pry bar......but it will go back into the closet.

I've seen posts that the tensioner is not "compatable" with the double roller chain and you don't need it.

I had an old 318 that I rebuilt and went in to refresh after 140 k and the edelbrock true roller double roller barely had any stretch. I replaced with a new one anyway to be safe since they weren't too expensive and I already bought it.

-
Back