Timing the oil pump shaft gear?

-

Corrupt_Reverend

Reaction score
Just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly;

I bring the #1 cylinder to tdc, align the distributor shaft slot in the gear with #2 cylinder (pass front), then once the gears mesh, the slot should be aligned with #1 cylinder?

That sound right?

No. 1 tdc firing.....the slot should point at the driver side front intake bolt hole......that is per FSM....

this is for a Mopar distributor where the slot on the shaft lines up with the rotor..

Attachments

• IMG_0851.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 331

I bring the #1 cylinder to tdc, align the distributor shaft slot in the gear with #2 cylinder (pass front), then once the gears mesh, the slot should be aligned with #1 cylinder?

That sound right?

Yep, you got it right.

Anybody know how difficult it should be to get the gears to go together? I'm thinking the oil pump shaft socket just isn't lining up quite right but I'm getting nervous.

Anybody know how difficult it should be to get the gears to go together? I'm thinking the oil pump shaft socket just isn't lining up quite right but I'm getting nervous.

put some grease on the shaft and the shaft gear. it needs some there for start up any way. also, if it wont quite mesh together then you can have someone rotate the engine back and forth with a socket on the crank as you push down on the oil pump shaft.. not a lot, just wiggle it back and forth to try to get the gears to fall together. it doesn't have to be dead nuts on TDC. now, That doesn't mean to get way out there away from TDC, but if the slot doesn't point straight at the intake bolt its ok. you wont be off by much and slight turn of the distributor will bring you right in.

put some grease on the shaft and the shaft gear. it needs some there for start up any way. also, if it wont quite mesh together then you can have someone rotate the engine back and forth with a socket on the crank. not a lot, just wiggle it back and forth to try to get the gears to fall together. it doesn't have to be dead nuts on TDC. now, That doesn't mean to get way out there away from TDC, but if the slot doesn't point straight at the intake bolt its ok. you wont be off by much and slight turn of the distributor will bring you right in.

Thanks 71. That was my plan but I wasn't sure and didn't want to muck anything up.

That sound right?

On the compression stroke.

Actually, the compression stroke does not matter IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE

That's because the cam gear rotates at 1/2 crank speed, therefore, whether on no1 or no6, just as long as the marks are on TDC, the gear will be correct as pictured.

Actually, the compression stroke does not matter IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE

That's because the cam gear rotates at 1/2 crank speed, therefore, whether on no1 or no6, just as long as the marks are on TDC, the gear will be correct as pictured.

Doh, you're correct, I had distributor stuck in my head.

Thanks 71. That was my plan but I wasn't sure and didn't want to muck anything up.

that should do the trick. if not then check for any small burs on the gears that may be keeping them from meshing.

LOL, never mind. I see you already got it in there.

good job.

Just went through this. When you get ready to start it make sure it's timed to your number one cylinder or else you will pull your distributor and rotate it 180. Not a big deal but that's what happened to me.

-
Back