Timing way off..help.

-
And motor Should be 20k miles new..did sit awhile tho

Have you tried going direct from the battery positive to the coil positive and see what it does?
Or checked your coil positive voltage?

Sitting awhile usually only messes with electrical stuff and not mechanical.:D

Have you tried going direct from the battery positive to the coil positive and see what it does?
Only with a light..was brighter on one side than other..if I jump a jumper from positive battery to positive coil and she Sparks what..then?? Thanks for help beast!!

Only with a light..was brighter on one side than other..if I jump a jumper from positive battery to positive coil and she Sparks what..then?? Thanks for help beast!!

That would mean the coil isn't getting the power it needs, and the ignition system has a problem somewhere loosing voltage. (switch, wires, ballast, plugs where wires connect)
It could be an electrical issue instead of a part.

Sitting awhile usually only messes with electrical stuff and not mechanical.:D
Wires look ok..good grounds..power to coil..and I was messing with pickup and broke bottom clip off of the plate..

That would mean the coil isn't getting the power it needs, and the ignition system has a problem somewhere loosing voltage. (switch, wires, ballast, plugs where wires connect)
It could be an electrical issue instead of a part.
Tried jumping ballast ..no luck..I replaced a bunch of wires when first started to fix electric charging circuit..bulkhead looks fine ..had whole wire harness apart when I did charging circuit...but will try and jump the coil..and what if I jump it and still nothing.. would that be bad coil..

Tried jumping ballast ..no luck..I replaced a bunch of wires when first started to fix electric charging circuit..bulkhead looks fine ..had whole wire harness apart when I did charging circuit...but will try and jump the coil..and what if I jump it and still nothing.. would that be bad coil..

Or ignition box possibly. (not likely)
Is your ignition box super grounded?

I used a wire wheel on drill so I'm pretty sure I got metal to metal...I'm trien to do everything as well as I know..lol

Ok, but still recheck the attaching points by confirming. (when electrical stuff sits)
Also, don't turn that motor over with any pieces of that clip in the distributor.
Sometimes they are not actually on all the way and can pop off and fall down in the advance parts.
The clip may not actually be broken unless you saw it broken.

Ok, but still recheck the attaching points by confirming. (when electrical stuff sits)
Also, don't turn that motor over with any pieces of that clip in the distributor.
Sometimes they are not actually on all the way and can pop off and fall down in the advance parts.
The clip may not actually be broken unless you saw it broken.
Ya I had a piece of the clip when I took out pickup.. should I pull the distributor shaft??. Do I have to do that any way to put back on pick up if I don't get the replacement

Guess I should be getting lower than battery voltage on positive side and low voltage on negative side?? Of coil..with my flukemeter

That's normal with both the positive (run position of the ign) and the distributor connected to it.
If you unplug the distributor pigtail and check the coil the voltage should be about the same on both terminals of the coil. (about 8-9 volts) and about 10-12 cranking.

Ya I had a piece of the clip when I took out pickup.. should I pull the distributor shaft??. Do I have to do that any way to put back on pick up if I don't get the replacement

Yep you gotta pull it, so mark the block and the distributor base for a reference, and make a mark on the distributor casing where the rotor is pointing with the cap off.
This lets you drop it right back in exactly where it was when you put it back in.
(initial timing and all)

I have 5.7v on positive side and 1.37v on neg of coil with key on....

That sounds pretty low to me.
Jump coil positive to battery positive when you get the distributor straightened out if it still gives you problems.
OR, you could do it now and use the distributor pigtail to make it spark.
Then you would at least have that eliminated even before you fix the distributor or get another one.

That sounds pretty low to me.
Jump coil positive to battery positive when you get the distributor straightened out if it still gives you problems.
OR, you could do it now and use the distributor pigtail to make it spark.
Then you would at least have that eliminated even before you fix the distributor or get another one.
How could I use the pigtail without cranking it??.. would be nice to eliminate needing the whole thing..would I jusst use a jumper were it would pigtail to the pickup, then turn key on and hit positive to coil and it will spark??

How could I use the pigtail without cranking it??.. would be nice to eliminate needing the whole thing..would I jusst use a jumper were it would pigtail to the pickup, then turn key on and hit positive to coil and it will spark??

Unplug the distributor from the harness, turn the key on then ground the harness side exposed metal contact to the block metal.
Each time you touch you should get a spark without turning the engine at all.

Unplug the distributor from the harness, turn the key on then ground the harness side exposed metal contact to the block metal.
Each time you touch you should get a spark without turning the engine at all.
Ok so leave wire off distributor from coil and keep that close to ground and when I touch the male part of pigtail from harness to ground coil should spark??

Tried to do the jump and got nothing..guess I'm pulling distributor shaft for nothing ...may be I'll just get the replacement ..it comes with new part of harness also..

Ok so leave wire off distributor from coil and keep that close to ground and when I touch the male part of pigtail from harness to ground coil should spark??

Tried to do the jump and got nothing..guess I'm pulling distributor shaft for nothing ...may be I'll just get the replacement ..it comes with new part of harness also..

In this case if all is what we believe it is and the key was in the on position, the ignition module/box must be bad.

Ok..well cleaned out distributor and fixed pickup made few connectors better..ballast was faulty..have 6v at positive but still only 1.5 v on neg of coil.. great spark at coil wire to ground now..but motor still off time..will idle great but cuts when trying for throttle,,spark is getting weak it seems... guessing it has to be ignition module...had one and when I tried it and didn't work I gave it back.. should have kept it bit longer so I could be sure.

-
Back