Tin intake gaskets in gasket set?????

-

duster360

Reaction score
Why are thin metal ( TIN like ) gaskets in a small block gasket set? Has anyone ever used them?

The Fel Pro gasket set that I just put on my small block had the same thing. I assumed they were correct (the box had them listed that way), so I went ahead and installed them under my intake.

That is very interesting. I have never seen them come like that. The sets I bought always had both the metal and the blue intake gaskets.

That is very interesting. I have never seen them come like that. The sets I bought always had both the metal and the blue intake gaskets.

x2

I have always thrown the metal ones away and used the blue gaskets.

I used the metal gaskets. I milled the heads and the intake also. The blue ones were too thick. I sprayed them with Permatex and used Mopar black silicone for the end seals. No problems. tmm

I used the metal gaskets. I milled the heads and the intake also. The blue ones were too thick. I sprayed them with Permatex and used Mopar black silicone for the end seals. No problems. tmm

Pretty much the same here, but thin silicone RTV on the gaskets and ends.
Not a problem one with it.

That the problem I am having. The blue ones are too thick.

"They" say to never use the metal ones with aluminum intakes, but after running across the same problem you are having I did it anyway and just used a thin coat of sealer on both sides.
Been about two years now without issue, but do yourself a favor and use sealer on your bolt threads or you'll end up with puddles of oil around the bolts. :)

"They" say to never use the metal ones with aluminum intakes, but after running across the same problem you are having I did it anyway and just used a thin coat of sealer on both sides.
Been about two years now without issue, but do yourself a favor and use sealer on your bolt threads or you'll end up with puddles of oil around the bolts. :)

I will have to remember that about the bolts.

I used black RTV around the ports on the metal gasket before I seated it on the heads. I also filled the corners between the metal gaskets and cork with black RTV. The instructions also suggested using a little sealer around the ports on the intake. I figured excess sealer wouldn't be overkill. I guess we will see when I finally get the chance to fire it up again.

Just got the fel pro intake gasket set yesterday. The kit is for the 273 engine. In the kit is 2 metal intake gaskets, 2 cork gaskets and a small tube of black silicone. No blue gaskets. I have stock heads and edlbrock intake. Is this the good gaskets?

Just got the fel pro intake gasket set yesterday. The kit is for the 273 engine. In the kit is 2 metal intake gaskets, 2 cork gaskets and a small tube of black silicone. No blue gaskets. I have stock heads and edlbrock intake. Is this the good gaskets?

We just covered all that above, and the necessity of the metal gaskets for bolt hole alignment.

A lot of times when a set of heads is machined, only the block surface is touched. This can cause the intake bolt holes to not line up properly. Material needs to be removed from the intake sealing surface of the head as well.

I just test fit my new air gap intake on my 360. I can just barely get the bolts started. The bolts cut threads into the bottom of the intake holes. The heads need to have a little material removed from the intake surface so the intake will sit a little lower.

A lot of times when a set of heads is machined, only the block surface is touched. This can cause the intake bolt holes to not line up properly. Material needs to be removed from the intake sealing surface of the head as well.

I just test fit my new air gap intake on my 360. I can just barely get the bolts started. The bolts cut threads into the bottom of the intake holes. The heads need to have a little material removed from the intake surface so the intake will sit a little lower.

It all depends on how the ports line up, and I don't see every 318 and 360 owner cutting the heads to put a aftermarket aluminum intake on and otherwise totally stock motor.
(stock meaning heads were never cut)
My engine has never been cut and the bolts were a little tough to get in with the metal gaskets (but the ports line up good.)

-
Back