Tincup's 63 Dart w/5.7 Hemi

-
You know, we need to see some paint on one car and on the other hand Tin needs to get of the couch and get to work. Keep those pictures comming.lol
By the way the gas cap looks good. It must have taken you a long time to install it.lol

Get off the couch!!, I'll have you know while you guy's were wasting time surfing ****, I was hard at work. I spent 3 days, cleaning and priming the entire front of the car. The body work is done on the inner fenders, and the outside of the inner fenders and radiator support are in primer. I put the K-frame back in, swapped the oil pan, and manifolds (my SRT8 manifolds finally came in). And on top of all that I fixed the exhaust on my wife's car.

:thebirdm:

Here's the proof;
100_1754.jpg

100_1757.jpg

100_1758.jpg

How come you're using srt8 manifolds ? The port match on the 5.7 and 6.1 will/are different. Just curious. The front end looks good. I got my hands on an alterk this past weekend, but my buddy wasn't going to let go, so I had to, damn bad luck.

How come you're using srt8 manifolds ? The port match on the 5.7 and 6.1 will/are different. Just curious. The front end looks good. I got my hands on an alterk this past weekend, but my buddy wasn't going to let go, so I had to, damn bad luck.

The ports are slightly bigger, should not be an issue. Almost all the header manufactures sell their pipes to fit both engines. Nice try on the Alter K.

Do they fit in the engine compartment? That sure would make things easier.

That would be my question also. In my case only one of them would fit and the other one from the truck worked on the other side. The outer is totaly different though. That is why I had to go with the Headers. I wanted both outputs to be the same diameter.

Theoretically they should fit better. They hug the block closer than aftermarket headers, and the outlets point straight back, the stock manifolds kick out a little. I should know very soon, I plan on test fitting the engine this weekend. I'll keep you informed.
Would either of you guy's have the part number for the extended main cap bolt, the one that the oil pick up bolts to?

Theoretically they should fit better. They hug the block closer than aftermarket headers, and the outlets point straight back, the stock manifolds kick out a little. I should know very soon, I plan on test fitting the engine this weekend. I'll keep you informed.
Would either of you guy's have the part number for the extended main cap bolt, the one that the oil pick up bolts to?

The main stud for the oil screen is 6506333aa. the corresponding nut is 6502756. Hope this helps.

The main stud for the oil screen is 6506333aa. the corresponding nut is 6502756. Hope this helps.

Thanks cptn60, thats a big help. ( that is for a g3 Hemi, right?)

I couldn't wait till the weekend, had the wife help me install it.

100_1759.jpg

100_1760.jpg

100_1761.jpg

The good news is my alternator will fit (with a little mod, of course). The bad news is I will probably have to pull the motor if I ever have to change it.
100_1768.jpg

The bad news is my drivers side motor mount will not fit with the srt headers, the good news is with a little mod to the mount ( of course ) it should fit just fine.

100_1767.jpg

The bad news is my oil pan is resting right on the rack, I guess the good news would be that I could send it back and buy a Charlies.

100_1766.jpg

Charlies is what I got, bolt and nut- I haven't a clue, but I see someone else posted it. If you need to use stock manifolds I will give them boat anchors to ya, they are from a truck so clearence would not be an issue. Everything is looking good.

Charlies is what I got, bolt and nut- I haven't a clue, but I see someone else posted it. If you need to use stock manifolds I will give them boat anchors to ya, they are from a truck so clearence would not be an issue. Everything is looking good.

Thanks 5.7, but I do have the stock car manifolds that came with the motor. Right now my only concern is the steering linkage, not sure if either manifold will allow adequate clearance for the shaft. Maybe I'll do steer by wire!

Looking pretty tight there Tincup, I wish now that I would have done the same with my shock towers and inners. Thats going to be a clean bay.

Roger

There is always hotrodlane.cc, they have some shorty headers that may work, but if memory serves, they are a tad pricey. Look them up, see what they have to offer.

There is always hotrodlane.cc, they have some shorty headers that may work, but if memory serves, they are a tad pricey. Look them up, see what they have to offer.

That's what I used. I bought them just tacked together in case they needed to be modified. The one thing on my car I actually lucked out on........they fit perfect.

I have heard the Jeep SRT8 headers are much tighter to the block and may fit better than the car version....they are different.

4-14-09%20demon%20plumbing%20004.jpg

That alternator is gonna be snug in there.......I'm not sure about your Early A but I have seen the motor pushed over a little bit by modifying the extensions off the Kmember.

This is A BBD's members motor placement pic I saved for reference.... He asked Bill not to notch the Kframe extensions so he could move it over a little. It's a 67

ZCudaSRT818.jpg

Thanks 5.7, but I do have the stock car manifolds that came with the motor. Right now my only concern is the steering linkage, not sure if either manifold will allow adequate clearance for the shaft. Maybe I'll do steer by wire!

Using the hotrodlane (Street &Performance) headers I was able to use two joints and one solid shaft. It's snug by the headers, but clears. I had this mocked up when my steering rack was in the stock position on the AlterK member. Ididit column

Good progress TinCup!!! Keep the pics coming

2-3-09 demon 007.jpg

That's what I used. I bought them just tacked together in case they needed to be modified. The one thing on my car I actually lucked out on........they fit perfect.

I have heard the Jeep SRT8 headers are much tighter to the block and may fit better than the car version....they are different.

Thanks RJ, that's what I have is the Jeep srt8 manifolds. I did some test fitting last night and I think they are going to work fine. I do have to notch my drivers side motor mount to make them fit, but what else is new.

I do have a favor to ask, have you put your tranny in yet? If not could you take a measurement from the center of the input shaft to the bottom of the base. I'm trying to figure out how low it's going to hang compared to my 545. I'm trying to get this thing down as low as I can go, and this trans looks kind of low. I haven't bolted it up yet, but just in case, I would like to check my options. Thanks.

Tin, looking good there. I am happy that overall it is working out for you. Some mods will be nescesary but it is normal in this type of build. Patience is the name of the game. Beleave me I have had to have plenty of it.

Patience my ***, I wanna kill something----or at least get it primered.

How did the measurements work out for ya?

Hey Tin, I just got done reading the Alterkation instructions and it say the Milodon pan wiil NOT fit, but the Charlies pans does, so send that sum ***** back and get the right pan---1 less headache now. Perhaps us men should READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!

Hey Tin, I just got done reading the Alterkation instructions and it say the Milodon pan wiil NOT fit, but the Charlies pans does, so send that sum ***** back and get the right pan---1 less headache now. Perhaps us men should READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!

I must of read over those instructions 10 times, and never even seen that. Man it sucks to get old.....

-
Back