Tincup's 63 Dart w/5.7 Hemi

-
Keep it up. Looking good.

What color are you going with?

i justt love these cars, and you are doing one heck of a job!!!! keep it up!!!

Nice Score! I did the same thing, except mine are from a Sebring Convertable.
I had been searching for either caddy or sebring seats for a while, it solves a bunch of problems.

Just a few questions if you don't mind... I have a 66 dart and I plan to be doing quite a few of the same things you are doing.

1. It appears that you had to clearance the alterkations rail for the alternator? Was it required, or just for some extra clearance? So you could remove the alternator without lifting the engine?

2. Those seats are awesome, exactly what I've been looking for. I wanted to do the 3-point conversion and that makes everything so much easier. On the back seat, can I get some general measurements? Does it look like a miracle drop-in? That would be really great news.

3. I know being an early a guy planning this hemi transplant that manual brakes are the only option. I was originally planning on hydroboost and I did everything I possibly could to adapt it to work, but no luck. So manual it is.. I know you are running 4 wheel discs with 4 piston calipers, what master cylinder and bore size did you go with?

Thanks ahead of time! I've been following your build closely and it's progressing smoothly and looks very promising.

Ryan

See what ya done, your gonna make his head swell....it's ok, he deserves it.

Just a few questions if you don't mind... I have a 66 dart and I plan to be doing quite a few of the same things you are doing.

1. It appears that you had to clearance the alterkations rail for the alternator? Was it required, or just for some extra clearance? So you could remove the alternator without lifting the engine?

2. Those seats are awesome, exactly what I've been looking for. I wanted to do the 3-point conversion and that makes everything so much easier. On the back seat, can I get some general measurements? Does it look like a miracle drop-in? That would be really great news.

3. I know being an early a guy planning this hemi transplant that manual brakes are the only option. I was originally planning on hydroboost and I did everything I possibly could to adapt it to work, but no luck. So manual it is.. I know you are running 4 wheel discs with 4 piston calipers, what master cylinder and bore size did you go with?

Thanks ahead of time! I've been following your build closely and it's progressing smoothly and looks very promising.

Ryan

Ryan, Thanks for the comments, and any questions you may have, don't hesitate to ask.
You are correct, I did clearance the AlterK just so I could get at the alt bolts.
As for the rear seats I have not tried them in yet ( The car is filthy with sanding dust and the seats are black) but they do measure the same 52" wide. I'm hoping all that will be necessary will be to fab up some kind of mounts, but I will get back to you on that.
As for the master I chose the Mopar replacement one (made by Wilwood) which has a 1 1/16" bore. The fancy Wilwood has a 1" bore, but is twice the price. I read somewhere that Wilwood makes a master with a 7/8" bore which would be nice, but I have'nt found it yet.

See what ya done, your gonna make his head swell....it's ok, he deserves it.
What are you doing up so late playing on the computer? Shoulden't you be in the garage working?

Tincup, that's great news on the back seat, make sure you keep us updated when you get it thrown in and just how you go about mounting it. I can see the curves on the back of the seat being a possibly issue but I'm sure it won't be impossible to make it work. Just one more question if I can trouble you.. I'm going to be using a vintage air kit and I'm not sure as to whether or not you are going to use the low mount a/c compressor but regardless does it fit? Yes would be an awesome answer!

@jeffneal66

Thanks for the link to that tilton question thing, I will make certain to use it! I'm kind of dissapointed I'm ending up with manual brakes but I've decided that if I'm going to use them I will try and optimize the system as best as I can. Manual brakes can't be that bad can they, I mean.. most road race cars and stuff use them, although with balance bars and multiple master's and so on and so forth.

Thanks again for all of the help.. these early a's sure can complicate things!
Ryan

Tincup, that's great news on the back seat, make sure you keep us updated when you get it thrown in and just how you go about mounting it. I can see the curves on the back of the seat being a possibly issue but I'm sure it won't be impossible to make it work. Just one more question if I can trouble you.. I'm going to be using a vintage air kit and I'm not sure as to whether or not you are going to use the low mount a/c compressor but regardless does it fit? Yes would be an awesome answer!

@jeffneal66

Thanks for the link to that tilton question thing, I will make certain to use it! I'm kind of dissapointed I'm ending up with manual brakes but I've decided that if I'm going to use them I will try and optimize the system as best as I can. Manual brakes can't be that bad can they, I mean.. most road race cars and stuff use them, although with balance bars and multiple master's and so on and so forth.

Thanks again for all of the help.. these early a's sure can complicate things!
Ryan

Ryan, I'm not running air in my car for a couple reasons, 1. here in New England there are not that many days where you really need it. ( but you can bet it will have a heater) 2. I don't think it will fit on the early A's because the compressor will be in the way of the steering linkage. (I'm not 100% sure on that. )
As for the brakes, with a car weighing in at less than 3000lbs. and having (4) 12" rotors and (4) four piston calipers I don't think it will be a problem. I just picked up a Wilwood proportioning valve to dial in the rears.

I've been pulling some late nights in the man cave, sanding this, fabbing that, cussing everything that doesn't work the first time out, but wouldn't trade it for the world. Iv'e got some tricks planned for the front suspension, mainly bracing, when I get it done I'll post some pics. Oh, fiberglass front bumper is on the way....cooooool!!!

My buddy drew a picture for me of me and my Dart, what do you think?

MyDart.jpg

I like it, it looks good. But do you realy think that everyone will beleive that you are that Muscular. lol I will say that he can draw. The good thing about it is that now you will be able to make your own t-shirts with this drawing and go to shows with it.

Tin, I just gotta say this, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!

My buddy does this on the side if anyone is interested. He can draw you in your ride as mild or wild as you want.

Sorry tin, I need to borrow your mind once again.

I'm going to be ordering suspension from bill tomorrow hopefully and I need some help with some rear axles dimensions. I will be going with the fabricated 8.75 rear end from moser with 33 spline axles and the ford 9" housing ends. I'm going to be doing the magnumforce relocation kit like you did and I was wondering what your spring perch location was? Do mopar leafs curve out at the back or anything? I didn't know if the frame rails stayed straight thereafter making the leaf spring straight as well. I just need to verify my measurement.. Also, as my wheel's backspacing is different from yours and I "think" my tires are a tad bit wider, can you just give me a nod or shake on whether or not my axle to axle outer measurement sounds right? I'll list the wheel specs as well!

Wheel specs: 17x10.5, backspacing 6.8", offset 28mm(1.10")

Tires(just for kicks): 315/35/R17

Rear end measurements:

Axle to axle(outside): 54.75"
Axle offset will be 2.36" so that would make my housing dimension 54.03"?
Perches(center to center): 36"

Sorry! I'm a younger guy and this is my first time doing this to be honest..
Thanks again as usual, you are a great asset!
Ryan

Tin, the guy is asking/begging/suckin' up/offering his first born(maybe not), help the guy out. At least he is putting a mopar rear in his (lol) not some **** 9 inch. Ya, I gotta give you some harassment , but with humor.

Sorry tin, I need to borrow your mind once again.

I'm going to be ordering suspension from bill tomorrow hopefully and I need some help with some rear axles dimensions. I will be going with the fabricated 8.75 rear end from moser with 33 spline axles and the ford 9" housing ends. I'm going to be doing the magnumforce relocation kit like you did and I was wondering what your spring perch location was? Do mopar leafs curve out at the back or anything? I didn't know if the frame rails stayed straight thereafter making the leaf spring straight as well. I just need to verify my measurement.. Also, as my wheel's backspacing is different from yours and I "think" my tires are a tad bit wider, can you just give me a nod or shake on whether or not my axle to axle outer measurement sounds right? I'll list the wheel specs as well!

Wheel specs: 17x10.5, backspacing 6.8", offset 28mm(1.10")

Tires(just for kicks): 315/35/R17

Rear end measurements:

Axle to axle(outside): 54.75"
Axle offset will be 2.36" so that would make my housing dimension 54.03"?
Perches(center to center): 36"

Sorry! I'm a younger guy and this is my first time doing this to be honest..
Thanks again as usual, you are a great asset!
Ryan

Ryan, It's no problem at all. I am by no means an expert, all I can really comment on is what I have done. The best way to measure for the axle is to place the wheels and tires up under the car where they are going to be then measure. My rear measured 48" flange to flange, overall 53.5" with a pinion offset of 0.75". The spring perches are 36" however I would only get them tacked in position because you have to set the pinion angle (typically 3 degrees).
Are you minitubbing or full tubbing? if mini I would recommend your axle be at least 1.6" wider than mine, ( my backspace is 6") my tires are slightly closer to the frame than to the outer wheelhouse. (I'm considering a 1/4" spacer just to center the tire in the wheelwell a little better). I think it is better to error on the short side rather than long. It is easy to add a little, but a ***** to take away. If I were you I would go with a 55.5" overall dimension, but please double check all your measurements.
Hope this helps.

Tin, the guy is asking/begging/suckin' up/offering his first born(maybe not), help the guy out. At least he is putting a mopar rear in his (lol) not some **** 9 inch. Ya, I gotta give you some harassment , but with humor.
Haven't you got anything better to do than bust my crackers? Get to work.....LOL

-
Back