Tiny hand needed to connect speedometer cable in 71 Duster

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've spent many hours over the past 45+ years standing on my head with my right arm squeezed under the dash trying to connect the speedometer cable to the back of the instrument panel. I'm guessing there's a much better way to do this - possible requiring the instrument panel to be pulled out or the steering column to be dropped out of the way. (I've done both in past years).

I'm open to suggestion from others who have done this successfully. I'm getting too old to enjoy working under that dash.

I use my left hand while squatting outside the door and reach a few fingers right up the middle from underneath.
There is an opening in the column bracket on the Dart right below where the cable goes on the speedo head, so I suspect Duster is the same.

I use my left hand while squatting outside the door and reach a few fingers right up the middle from underneath.
There is an opening in the column bracket on the Dart right below where the cable goes on the speedo head, so I suspect Duster is the same.

Trailbeast - I stand amazed! I tried this and it worked! Couldn't get a perfect grip but was able to shove the cable hard enough to have it snap into place. Took the car around the block and it the speedometer works.
This means that my odometer now works and I can keep track of when I need to buy gas.

Guess I'll put out another post soon asking for ideas on getting my gas gauge working again. I replaced the sending unit (a few years ago) but the gauge never quite worked and has finally quit completely.

I fire an RPG at the car, once the car is in pieces, I locate the instrument cluster and speedometer cable, terminate the connection and whaamo, it's done!

yes,they are a pita.i cuss every time i do one.kinda like the starter bolts with headers.take your time,and ,hold your tounge just right and it will snap right in

I have done this many times the past month trying to figure out a speedo issue. I squat outside of the car and use my left hand to slide the cable in place. Remove the plastic column cover and you will be able to clearly see what your doing. Sometimes a flat head screwdriver can be used to help it in place but be careful not to break off the locking tab.

Trailbeast - I stand amazed! I tried this and it worked! Couldn't get a perfect grip but was able to shove the cable hard enough to have it snap into place. Took the car around the block and it the speedometer works.
This means that my odometer now works and I can keep track of when I need to buy gas.

Guess I'll put out another post soon asking for ideas on getting my gas gauge working again. I replaced the sending unit (a few years ago) but the gauge never quite worked and has finally quit completely.

Like I said "a couple of fingers on it" :D
Glad it worked out for you as well.

I've spent many hours over the past 45+ years standing on my head with my right arm squeezed under the dash trying to connect the speedometer cable to the back of the instrument panel. I'm guessing there's a much better way to do this - possible requiring the instrument panel to be pulled out or the steering column to be dropped out of the way. (I've done both in past years).

I'm open to suggestion from others who have done this successfully. I'm getting too old to enjoy working under that dash.
I remove 1 screw that holds the fuse box to its bracket, move the box slightly, up, forward, then down, to set it out of the bracket. This makes a lot more arm/hand space to access headlight switch and speedo cable.
Moving the headlight switch along with its wiring makes even more space toward speedo cable.
I prefer to pull the inst' panel and clean the speedometers drive port before cramming a cable in it. There's a small metal strap welded to the floor pan under the drivers seat. That's where the factory worker put all the slack in the cable. If I have the cable out from under that strap I can pull slack into the cabin. So the speedometer cable can be the first thing I reattach to a inst' panel. It serves as a helping hand while reattaching everything else. The screw in the fuse box and/or cable secured under the strap the very last thing put back.

-
Back