Tips for installing heads.

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
I'm about ready to install the heads on the block. Any tips, suggestions, and or advice would be great!! The block and heads are mid 70's mainly stock 360 parts. I have read about using #2 Peratex around some of the holes, using thread sealer on the head bolts, and black RTV around the coolant holes. The head gaskets are the Fel-Pro that came in the engine kit.
Thanks,
Mike

Just make sure it is all clean, clean, clean. No need for any RTV on the gaskets or thread sealer. I use a little black RTV on the bottom of the bolts or studs that are near any water jackets after I bottom tap all of the head bolt holes.

Blue perma-torque head gaskets? Don't put anything on them.

head bolts dont go into water...use a lube on head bolts to get correct torque...

as said..clean...and clean again

head bolts dont go into water...use a lube on head bolts to get correct torque...

as said..clean...and clean again

Unless when you bottom tap them you hear a POP, Was not a good feeling or sound from going a lil too far I popped through 2 of them. That is why I put the RTV on the bottom of the ones in the front on the engine that I have in my car now. :banghead:

The threads were the most corroded I have ever seen before I tapped & cleaned them out..

A) Run a chaser tap in all the bolt holes, and clean out any debris. B) I like the ARP UltraTorque assembly lube for the bolt threads. By keeping everything clean and properly lubed with the right lube, you'll get accurate torque readings. Also put the UltraTorque under the bolt heads where they contact the head. C) You don't need any sealer. D) Use new bolts. E) Watch out for the dowel pins. if they stick out too far they will keep the heads from sealing. Ask me how I know...

What bolts are you using? Stock? ARP? because they require different torque specs from stock to ARP. And yeah super clean mating surface is very important.

Another to say that there is no such thing as "too clean".......When you lube up the head bolts don't go nuts with the lube......too much oil on the threads, bolt going into a blind hole, it is possible to crack the block..........already said make sure the dowels do not hold the head up............pay attention to details, don't rush, don't get distracted

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

i like to clean the decks with denatured alcohol and a lint free towel. i like the box of towels you can get at depot. they are like super heavy paper towels. they are lint free and i just keep wiping with alcohol until the rags are spotless when i wipe them.

-
Back