1. mflynn

mflynn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:43 PM
    This is not technically an a-body question, but figured I could get good info here anyway. In addition to my ‘68 notchback, I have a 1987 D150, 2WD, 318, 2.9 gears with stock wheels and tires - 235/75/15 Wrangler TA (photos attached). I would like to run chrome Steelies with baby moons for the summer and want to get more of a street rod look but am worried about messing up ride and performance. I won’t be towing or hauling heavy loads. This is my daily driver When I am not driving the Cuda. I am thinking 245 (or 255)/60/15 BFG Radial TAs or Cooper Cobra Radial Gts. Any ideas on if these will fit ok and if so how they will affect speedo, performance, rpm at highway speed, etc? Also, any issue with running passenger rated tires on Light truck (remember, I won’t be doing heavy towing or hauling)? 101036A0-0BD3-4068-9D19-8757A7D15D5A.jpeg 480A1A84-5108-4894-BC6C-016AE5396B63.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Mopar to ya

Mopar to ya Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      11:43 AM
      BFG are okay if you can find them. Cooper Cobra are crap tires - they just come in popular sizes for our vehicles. I'd lean toward the 255/60R15 personally. You could ask Cu440da what size he runs on his Warlock - if he still comes around this site. I think he uses different sizes front and rear and his is lowered. Warlock and Dart at the track.jpg

• 383Scampman

383Scampman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Measure your existing tire . What is needed is the diameter and the width at the bulge . The diameter will determine if your speedo and mileage will change and the width will tell you if you haveenough clearance . All tire makers post these numbers . Get it close and you are golden . "75" series is a tall tire , I'm thinkin'.

• YY1

YY1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      • Like Like x 1
      • YY1

YY1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        ignore the pre-populated sizes, just plug in your own

• Keith Mopar

Keith Mopar Mopar Nut

Local Time:
        10:43 AM
        Your stock tires are approx. 28.9" tall. A 255 60 r15 is only 27" tall almost a 2" drop in height. It will help acceleration but might look a bit small in comparison. Your Speedo will be 4.5% off ready slow, 60mph will be 57mph.
        You can use this website to run some tire sizes to get an idea of how tall a tire is.

Custom wheels, rim tire packages

• MoparLeo

MoparLeo NRA PATRON LEVEL LIFE MEMBER FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        9:43 AM
        Remember that because the axle is in the center of the wheel, the truck will drop or rise 1/2" for every 1" of diameter difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • mflynn

mflynn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          Thanks for all the advice! Checked out some of the stuff you guys linked to. To keep about the same size overall diameter I am now thinking about 255s on 16 inch rims. I’ll post pics later this spring when I switch them over.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.