tire squeal = DUI?

-
In Ohio it used to be called "Rapid Acceleration And Unnessasary Noise".
I got stopped once by a newbi for a chirp going across a painted crosswalk line as I was turning right at an intersection and he was right behind me.
He immediately pulled me over and stated that since I was a young snot-nosed punk, he was going to write me up. I asked what for and he went off about the chirp which meant that I was running full throttle going around the corner and endangering life and limb.......
I said that it was the paint line that did it and he asked for my DL. I started digging for it and took him by surprise by stating that I will make worth it.
Chucked the car in drive while flooring the throttle and left him sitting in a cloud of Goodyear tire smoke. He ran back to his car to give chase and pulled right out in front of another car..chase over.

I was driving a 69 Chrysler that the dealership had just taken in trade and my dealer plate was laying on the back shelf.
Never heard a word about it. He lost his job.

When I was a kid I was issued a ticket for Marking Pavment which was just a fine. I'm sure it is a bigger deal today but I don't know what they charge you with. The most serious crime around here is interuption of coffee break on a police officer.

years ago a friend of mine did a burn out coming out of a car wash.. CHP pulled him over and ask why he was driving like that, he just said hey i was just drying off my tires,,cop let him off with a warning.. told him that he never heard that one before.. Wouldn't get away with it today

OK. Sorry to be long-winded but gotta add to all the 'years ago' stories:
1. 1970 - 'Speed Contest'. Raced and beat a small-block Chevelle with my '69 340 Swinger on an empty road with absolutely no traffic around. After the race we split and go in different directions just in case somebody heard us. Driving home about 10 minutes later and get pulled over by local cop and told to wait. Couple of minutes later the Chevelle, with another cop behind him, pull up behind me and they write us both up. Only thing I could think of is we were spotted by a helicopter patrol. Called the court about a week later to find out how heavy the fine is and am told it's $35! Cop put the wrong infraction code on the ticket!!
2. Late 1973 - 'Exhibition of Speed'. Same '69 340 Swinger but now much stronger with a manual-shift 727 and 4.89 gearing behind a really stout 340. Got a phone call at work that our pre-ordered brand-new '74 TransAm has finally been delivered at the dealership. Leaving the parking lot I have to cross traffic to make a left turn to head to the dealership. Two of my buddies step out into the crosswalk to stop traffic so I can get out of the parking lot and I jump on it to show off. Just as I shift into 2nd with a very healthy squeal from the rear tires, I look over and there's a city cop heading the other way. I just made a right turn at the next corner, pulled over to the curb and waited. The cop had made a u-turn in the middle of traffic and comes tearing around the corner thinking he had a chase on his hands and almost drove right past me. He slams on his brakes, pulls over behind me and comes sauntering up hitching up his gun belt 'cause he's sure he's got a young kit to deal with (I was 24 at the time). Anyway, he calms down a bit when he sees I'm not a teenager. This ticket carried a mandatory court appearance so I go to court a day early and ask to be put on the docket. I explained to the judge that I was 'guilty with an explanation' and told him my tires were wet and dirty from the construction in our work parking lot and I must have 'fishtailed' a bit when leaving the parking lot. The cop wasn't in the court because it was a day earlier than originally scheduled. The judge says "Guilty, $25 fine". I say "Thank you sir", pay the fine and leave!

Out here in Colorado, in the early 80's the ticket was "Gratuitous display of horsepower."

In WA State, it's called "Reckless Driving" because when you break traction, you are presumed NOT to have control of your vehicle.

Just came from a meeting at my car club, and have to relate this story to you.
It seems that the 18 year old son of one of our members made the mistake of doing a burn-out within range of one of our county deputies. This sin was committed outside of town on a country road, with noone else in proximity. (The deputy came into visual range from the other side of a corn field.) He was issued a ticket for squealing his tires, and sent on his way.
The big surprise was when the next insurance premium came due, and was three times the cost it had been previously. My friend called the insurance guy and was told that squealing tires is now almost as bad an offence as DUI.
Sounds absurd to me! Anybody else know anything about this terrible crime against humanity? How about an insurance guy, any light you can shed on the subject?

As had been posted previously attitude is a lot in how a po po treats you. I'm always kind, courteous, and a little apologetic. I do have a class A CDL though so if it isn't a serious offence most cops cut me a break thinking it may cost me my job. I haven't driven a truck in over 5 years so it's really of no consequence to me, unless I want to get another job where I'd need it.

In california its called exhibition of speed, dont ask how I know8)
i got one for squealing the tires in az, i think the cop wrote me up for speed unreasonable for the circumstances. another one i got was for 65 in a 55, was not speeding, it was wasting a finite resource......the cop had to explain it to me twice, it was for wasting gas....:-D

I guess I dodged a bullet! A few years ago I pulled out of a parking lot while squealing my tires and no sooner did I look, a cop comes up behind me through the smoke. I thought for sure I was done, but he put his lights on and then drove by me...he must have been in a really good mood...

the same thing happened to me back in january only I hit the brakes (locked 'em up) cuz I got cut off then once I had room floored it (no wheelspin) to prevent the cop that was riding my *** from hitting me. he then pulled me over didint let me get my proof of insurance, wrote me a ticket for 'speed racing' and 'driving un-insured', then searched and towed the car. thanks to that I have no respect for any cops cuz they seem to not have respect for me.

I went to court with my proof of insurance and a police report and after the cop changed his story to benifit him the judge told me even if the cop wouldent let me get my proof of insuance, I didint provide it on the side of the road, so therefore I was guilty.

I can second all of the CA drivers with the "exhibition of speed" deal. It falls into the same category as street racing, and is a 2 point violation.Its in the same insurance category as a DUI, and can actually be charged as a misdemeanor. It also stays on your driving record for 10 years now (used to be 7), just like a DUI.

Every state is different, but many have been cracking down on illegal street racing in recent years so the penalties for anything that can be construed as street racing have increased substantially. It sounds as though your state uses a similar law as CA, so you son may be having insurance problems for the next 10 years. Also, if he manages to get another point in the next year he could have his license suspended. Most states have their driving laws listed online, get the # of the infraction and look it up online at the DMV or such to find out how the law there actually works.

Its too bad you found out about it too late, this is one of those tickets that is very worthwhile to fight if the circumstances are at all in question, since you could be paying higher premiums for the next 10 years. Some insurance companies won't even write a new policy for someone with this on their record.

I got pulled over and hassled by a cop because my car "looked too fast".

The cop gave me a hard time and questioned wether or not my car was street legal because of the fuel cell, roll cage, and lack of "proper" exhaust.

I told him this car is safer than most production vehicles on the road and after that I told him to say hi to the chief for me, and named his Captain and his Wife by name and told him we were good friends.

He went back to his car for about 5 minutes, then came back with a totally different attitude, told me to be safe and have a nice evening.

The City of Phoenix Does have a "squealing tires" ordinance---fine only, no points. But equating squealing tires to DUI, I think I have an answer.
There are laws of probability that equate certain violations with certain types of behavior. For example: if you drive at night without headlights, there's something like a 35% chance you're driving while intoxicated. these stats are compiled from various sources (NTSB,DOT, etc.) and are often cited in Court why officers stop people for "petty offenses" which later on prove the legitimacy of the stop & the officers further investigation. Smoking the tires is one of these behaviors. what ever you call it, the initial stop is valid and statistically warrants further investigation, albeit it can seem CS.
PROVIDING the 18yr old is telling the whole truth, my GUESS is the insurance company is using these statistics to basically "convict" him of DUI & raising the premium accordingly. I really can't agree with it & if it were me I'd find a new insurance company............

I was at the drie in at IN-N-OUT one time in my Dart. The guy in front of me keep barking the tires. All of a suden this cop comes up and says he is giving me a ticket for tire noise. I told him it was not me but the guy in front of me. He was not hering that. So while he is standing there giving me a bunch of crap the guy in front of me lights his tires up again. He went and gave the other guy a ticket but it still ticks me off. The cops are all ways profiling me when I drive that car.

Are you sure it is DUI, and not DWAI (driving while ability impaired)?
I think some states have some form of DWAI with 2 classes, alcohol related and non-alcohol related. The non one can be really ridiculous, like tinted windows or doing a burnout, as your ability to properly operate a vehicle is impaired based on something you did to the car or something you are doing while driving it.
Insurance companies pay their employees to find ways to raise rates and not pay claims, so anything is possible.

Spent 6 days in jail, $3000 fine, lost my CDL for 90 days and a 30 day hold on my impounded car ($700) for street racing.
You can bet your sweet *** I do THAT anymore.......and this was in '99

-
Back