tire squeal = DUI?

-

74duster

Reaction score
Just came from a meeting at my car club, and have to relate this story to you.
It seems that the 18 year old son of one of our members made the mistake of doing a burn-out within range of one of our county deputies. This sin was committed outside of town on a country road, with noone else in proximity. (The deputy came into visual range from the other side of a corn field.) He was issued a ticket for squealing his tires, and sent on his way.
The big surprise was when the next insurance premium came due, and was three times the cost it had been previously. My friend called the insurance guy and was told that squealing tires is now almost as bad an offence as DUI.
Sounds absurd to me! Anybody else know anything about this terrible crime against humanity? How about an insurance guy, any light you can shed on the subject?

Our cops usually will let the person off with a warning... that's crazy.

What was the actual ticket for?

My guess is careless driving.

Reality is.... Any ticket for an 18 year old driver = HUGE premium increase.

All he told me was that the ticket was for squealing tires. And yes, I can't help but think the age has a lot to do with the increase. But that is the first time I have ever heard anyone try to equate a burnout with a DUI.

In california its called exhibition of speed, dont ask how I know8)

When I was 18 and drove a 70 340 4sd Duster. I was given a ticket that was written in under other "exhibition of acceleration" for barking the tires between gears. I know today teenage boys get hammered on insurance.

Sorry to hear that....However, depending on where you live, this may be different, but generally speaking, there is no such thing as a 'squealing tires' ticket. A ticket issued for this is usually either reckless driving or negligent driving, both of which can have a huge impact on insurance premiums as it is in the same class of laws as DUI and DWI in most jurisdictions. Combine that with the age and gender of the driver, and the high rates will likely stick around for at least the next 3-5 years.

Burnouts fall in the same category as "speed racing" in Oregon......cars can be impounded here for it.

Best tool a cop has is discretion......while it violates the letter of the law, the intent of the law is what matters

I just got a ticket today for "Driver Spinning Wheels" with a $70 fine. Cop said it carries no points just a fine. Not sure I believe him though. Cops can write you up for multiple violations if you get caught doing a burn out. They can tact on Reckless Driving and Negligent Driving among other things which carry heavy penalties. Every state is different.

What was the actual ticket for?

My guess is careless driving.

Reality is.... Any ticket for an 18 year old driver = HUGE premium increase.

When I was 18 and drove a 70 340 4sd Duster. I was given a ticket that was written in under other "exhibition of acceleration" for barking the tires between gears. I know today teenage boys get hammered on insurance.

Man you got that right. This summer I am going to have to work full time to pay for insurance (I'm 17) and have some money to play with left over so I can actually do stuff and buy things. It really sucks... going to have to take a stupid driver's ed course at my school to lower my insurance. I have been told our class for it sucks and they jut babble on about how its important to wear your seatbelt. Huge waste of time but at least it'll save me a couple hundred bucks.

Young drivers in Ontario,Canada are on probation for 2 years.So I could see a big fine also insurance rise!Up here,that is!

Back in the 70's I got a ticket for squealing my tires on my 70 R/T 440 6 pack.

Me and this particular motorcyle cop had numerous run ins.

After writing me the ticket I told him that I deserved a ticket but he wrote it wrong because my tires were turning so fast that they weren't squealing.

He said shut up and sent me on my way.

The tires were melting and I wasn't power braking just stomping it,loved those old Kelly Super charger L60's

Just wait until Big Brother decides that burning rubber is a threat to the environment and tacks on a big fine for doing burnouts. Not funny.:angryfir:

Around here squeeling the tires results in 2 tickets - Exhibition of speed and driving without regard to public safety. The fines arent little and will for sure up insurance rates. Im sure the fact that the kid was 18 sure didnt help him, you know the old "teach them a lesson when they are young" routine.

Well, I wasn't there, and neither were you guys ( let me 'splain before you start to rag on my fat a**)

1. Was the kid acting like a jerk when he got stopped? Girlfriend or pals in the car? A repeat offender that has been "let off" before?
2. Everyone SURE he wasn't under ANY influence?
3. Was the cop just a bottom line jerk? What's his personality like? Is he normally a hard *ss?
4. Did all concerned just pay the fine? At the very least try and get it reduced.

When I got popped for such things, and yes, it was 30+ years ago, honesty and attitude (on my part )counted for a lot. In all these years since I've only run into one dick cop, and that was a ticket I could have and should have fought.

YMMV

I know around here the cops will pull you for reckles driving if you squeel them. Then they will measure your burnout and charge you 20 bucks a foot of rubber on the ground. the secret is to use hard rubber no marks :D

Most recent I've heard of around here was called "unnessesarily breaking traction". The guys wife is a ICU nurse at local hospital. He delivered her to work during our one little snow storm. He also had his employee/friend in the truck. So when he starts out of the hospital parking lot he did a short "wheee" into the road.
Get this though... While the trooper is has him in the patrol car and writting the ticket the passenger tossed a cigarette butt out onto the snow. He got to sit in the patrol car too while his littering ticket was written. This officer spent nearly a hour drawing 440.00 in fines.
Barry. the driver told the magistrate next time it snows he'll stay home and slide around in his own driveway and not worry about whos mom is in the ICU. He said the officer standing in the corner dropped his head and wouldn't make eye contact with him again.

I have personnally ahd a few myself and they called it IMPROPER TAKEOFF, non points and really small fine. I have also had 10 tickets in my 10 years of driving with most of them taking place in the first 3 years. I have never had my insurance rates go up because of a ticket, I did however have it go up when I got hit by some jackhole. I guess it all depends on where you are from. Small town in Kentucky probably helped. Thats just my 2 cents.

A few weeks ago I was pulled over, after pulling out from a drug store. My Barracuda is quite loud and I did have my foot in it a little.

The young patrolman asked me “what kind of exhaust system I had in the car?” and I responded “Glass packs”. He took my licenses, registration & insurance card.

A few moments later he returns my paper work and apologizes for stopping a US Marine Veteran but he thought “I might be a kid out causing trouble”.

I told him no problem, then as he was walking back to his patrol car; I stepped out and asked if he wanted to check out the motor; his face lit up and he came back and began to tell me all about his dad’s hot rod they were working on.

Like most of us I have acquired a massive amount of tickets over the years but the last two times I have been stopped and deserving to be cited, they see all the gray hair and don’t bother me anymore. Old age sucks for a lot of reasons but has its advantages too.

BcudaRear2.JPG

I have gotten a few of these when I was younger and they have been for alot of different things, ie violation of noise ordanance, wreckless driving, and participation in a speed compatition. The noise ordanance was the only one that did not change my insurance rates. The other two made my rates more than double.

-
Back