Tired of ridiculous shipping charges.......

-

68-GTS

Super " Senior " Member
Reaction score
So i know i'm not the only one here fed up with outrageous shipping charges to Canada.....Has anyone found a resto shop that compares to a Yearone or a Laysons .
Please list them for all Canadians that hate that those dreaded shipping costs.
Im sure it's the exact same way for our American neighbors ordering something from Canada its nothing personal ....I's all about the shipping companies.

So i know i'm not the only one here fed up with outrageous shipping charges to Canada.....Has anyone found a resto shop that compares to a Yearone or a Laysons .
Please list them for all Canadians that hate that those dreaded shipping costs.
Im sure it's the exact same way for our American neighbors ordering something from Canada its nothing personal ....I's all about the shipping companies.
x2 x3 x4

One option is to have it shipped to someone here in the US and have them ship it USPS. I do believe it's a bit less.

I ship to Canada and it often costs less than to California from Here in North Carolina.

I hate the brokers fees, What ever that is?

If your shipping UPS from the good old USA you're gonna get raped, USPS is pretty good, but I try to buy from companies that are based in Canada, or have a store up north. Oh and as far as brokerage fees, I think there just another way for the shipping companies to get another buck...

Year One rapes you on shipping.I quit buying from them 12-13 years ago because of it.

Hi. There is a company in Montreal called SMS Auto Classic. I have bought a few things from them, my brother bought alot from them as well as a friend of ours. Nice people to deal with and they know their stuff. Bobby

I don't blame you Canadian folk's for being upset about this shipping situation, I would'nt like it either.........I wish there was something that could
be done about it, and for all other's, that don't live here in the USA.

The shame is the U.S. is where almost all of these great parts come from and we just want to spend our money and do business our closest friends. Our dollars are near par so no one has any advantage over the other. That said I try and use USPS where ever possible.

try Nigel at National Moparts in Beaverton Ontario.
large supply of used,nos and re-pop parts and is competitive price wise.

How hard would it be to ship to a northern Mo-Member, and have them carry across border to Canada and ship from there?

I just bought a item off ebay, The part is comming from Toronto Ontario, (southern Ont)I live in Thunder bay, which is northwestern Ontario, (1000 miles apart). The item is trim and needs to go in a pcv oversize container, Belive it or not it was cheaper to send it thru the states and for me to drive down to the USA/CANADA boarder (70 mile away) than to have sent by UPS here in Canada, (i live in the same province) fugure that one out?:wack: Shipping anywhere in Canada is high.

I've experienced excessive shipping costs both from YearOne and Laysons. Personally I believe excessive shipping costs are intended and used to increase the bottom line profit level. Shameful business decisions.

In regards to the way we calculate shipping/handling here at Layson's, this is flawed thinking...........

Personally I believe excessive shipping costs are intended and used to increase the bottom line profit level. Shameful business decisions.

I ALWAYS ship out of country via the post office...as long as the package being sent falls within the dimension/weight limits for the country it's being sent to.

Larger packages have no other option other than UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc., unless you want to drive here and pick them up in person, or as already mentioned, shipped to a border address where they can be picked up then taken across the border.

I have no control over any GST, HST, or brokerage fees that may be charged.

And I cannot just blindly mark packages as "GIFT" or zero dollar value at the request of customers...and here's why....Let's say I do mark a package as gift, then mail it out. Three weeks later the customer calls back and says they never received the package. We file a loss claim with the post office, who upon review asks us why we as a company are sending out free gifts to random individuals in Canada...claim denied. So we end up crediting the customer his money and eating the loss on the merchandise....lose-lose for us.

Packages are insured for stated value, that way if something does happen, there's nothing to throw a monkey wrench if a claim has to be filed.

Also, part of the S/H fee is the merchant card processing fee, which applies for both domestic and international orders. International credit card processing fees can be as much as 5% of the billed amount. PayPal transactions are almost as much.....again, costs of which I have absolutely no control over.

For every single order that we ship out-of-country, I personally do a shipping quote before any billing is done to ensure that we do all we can to keep international shipping costs as low as we can.

I am the shipping department.
Rick

Amen Rick! I'm PSC's Shipping Department too and try my best to save my customers money at every opportunity, even going so far as to get quotes from everybody and letting the customers choose their shipper. Anything that goes out of the United States is shipped through the US Postal Service. Those "brokerage fees" are untenable and ridiculous in my opinion.

For what it's worth, if the package you're shipping is twelve inches long or less, the Post Office usually has the best rate. On larger items, FedEx is usually the best deal (but I personally can't stand using them for many reasons I won't go into here).

Well, maybe I'll share ONE totally off-topic reason ... first, a version of this sign has been hanging on my front door for well over five years.

View attachment 040 - Copy.jpg

And here's our driveway less than an hour after it was resurfaced on June 28.

View attachment 043 - Copy.jpg

Yep, that's FedEx delivery truck tire marks. Two $3,000 estimates to repair their damage! The claim's been filed and I'm still waiting to hear what they're going to do about it.

Okay, semi rant over. Back to our regularly scheduled programming. :-D

shipping in the states is bad enough, can imagine the added $$ going to canada. our birds are somewhat picky in the seed mix that they will eat. she just ordered 40 pounds of seed, the seed was $25 or so and the damn shipping was $35 or so....

POSTAL or fed ex .

For big orders i ship to my american address http://www.usparcelpickup.com/ and do my own brokering for free. Sometimes i save some cash by doing it myself... mind you its a 100 mile round trip. The duty fees bounce around ... depending on the item bringing into Canada.

i know there is a similar one in Niagara somewhere. I am sure there has to be one out west somewhere.

In regards to the way we calculate shipping/handling here at Layson's, this is flawed thinking...........

I ALWAYS ship out of country via the post office...as long as the package being sent falls within the dimension/weight limits for the country it's being sent to.

Larger packages have no other option other than UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc., unless you want to drive here and pick them up in person, or as already mentioned, shipped to a border address where they can be picked up then taken across the border.

I have no control over any GST, HST, or brokerage fees that may be charged.

And I cannot just blindly mark packages as "GIFT" or zero dollar value at the request of customers...and here's why....Let's say I do mark a package as gift, then mail it out. Three weeks later the customer calls back and says they never received the package. We file a loss claim with the post office, who upon review asks us why we as a company are sending out free gifts to random individuals in Canada...claim denied. So we end up crediting the customer his money and eating the loss on the merchandise....lose-lose for us.

Packages are insured for stated value, that way if something does happen, there's nothing to throw a monkey wrench if a claim has to be filed.

Also, part of the S/H fee is the merchant card processing fee, which applies for both domestic and international orders. International credit card processing fees can be as much as 5% of the billed amount. PayPal transactions are almost as much.....again, costs of which I have absolutely no control over.

For every single order that we ship out-of-country, I personally do a shipping quote before any billing is done to ensure that we do all we can to keep international shipping costs as low as we can.

I am the shipping department.
Rick

Hey Rick.... I had no intentions of of insinuating "your' Company shipping charges were too high. It was firmly ment for the UPS's and Fedex's of the shipping world.
Matter of fact i've had good dealings with you. You helped me out nicely again thanks. But thats where it stops once it gets to my door its "knock knock UPS here" bend over sir !
It is what it is... all it does is force us to buy local or as much in Canada as possable. At least untill theres some way UPS/FEDEX's find a way to ajust their rates, In the end it hurts BOTH American and Canadian a little.

PS: Just to clear the air,I used Layson's and Yearone,s name as an example as to what we would like to see here in Canada. Their inventory is unheard of in any of the Resto shops i've found in Canada.

We get raped here in Vegas from the UPS Store.I shipped 1 exhaust manifold to Florida and the cost was $52.00. I just shipped a oversize(grille) to PA and with insurance it was $100.00. I should say that I don't live in Vegas but for me to ship it's a 40 mile trip to take something to town. I gotta find a better way. USPS charged $20.00 to ship a carb to PA so they aren't much better for me.
I feel all your pain. I have heard of ship from home but who wants to sit around waiting for a truck to pick up. ARGH !

Here's a link to a business that has locations at border towns across the U.S.,, where for $5.00 they'll hold a parcel for up to a month, and longer if nec., and you can cross into the U.S. and pick it up..

https://www.kinek.com/

Just bought a pair of buckets on EBAY. Shipping calc did not work before purchase. After purchase I discover they want $325 to ship!
Not happy.

Try living in Alaska and having something shipped, 9 times out of 10 they wouldnt even ship any ammo to Alaska unless your a retailer. Here in Missouri alot of items are shipped for free...lovin that.

-
Back