to build or to let be

-

lildemonkid

Reaction score
ok. im putting back together the /6 in my 68 that my brother took down to a long block and just kinda gave up. my real intentions are to drive this car for a year or so and im going to build up a big block for it..... ( i know i know....) so anyways before the tear down i had a offy 4 barrel intake and clifford split six headers and the carb was a holley 390 dual feed double pumper (i just thought cool!). so i want a little pep to the motor but i dont need anything impressive. the head has stainless valves stock size and a gasket match port job. maybe a small cam? i want to be able to drive the car alot and do some highway driving. so losing driveability is a no no. any suggestions guys? :thumblef:

the porting will really help... another big thing to do is have the head, or block (my preferance) to get the compression up, plan on around .080 off... you need to figure out how far down in the hole the piston is, and the cc's of the head to do so...

if you do get a new cam keep it around 230 @ .050 duration or lower 220-230...

ok. im putting back together the /6 in my 68 that my brother took down to a long block and just kinda gave up. my real intentions are to drive this car for a year or so and im going to build up a big block for it..... ( i know i know....) so anyways before the tear down i had a offy 4 barrel intake and clifford split six headers and the carb was a holley 390 dual feed double pumper (i just thought cool!). so i want a little pep to the motor but i dont need anything impressive. the head has stainless valves stock size and a gasket match port job. maybe a small cam? i want to be able to drive the car alot and do some highway driving. so losing driveability is a no no. any suggestions guys? :thumblef:

I'm confused. Do you still have the 4bbl + headers?

That biggest solid Comp cam would be a good choice. I think it's the 264S.

the porting will really help... another big thing to do is have the head, or block (my preferance) to get the compression up, plan on around .080 off... you need to figure out how far down in the hole the piston is, and the cc's of the head to do so...

if you do get a new cam keep it around 230 @ .050 duration or lower 220-230...

What about the clifford performance cam kits? Or is comp a better option? Do either require a bigger stall in an automatic?

OK - my opinion only...if your set on making this a BB conversion don't spend the time or money on the 6 unless you have an unlimited budget and can afford 2 builds

What about the clifford performance cam kits? Or is comp a better option? Do either require a bigger stall in an automatic?

a 220-230 would like a bigger stall but will make so much more torque down low (with compression increase) that it wont matter for street driving... only thing i would buy from clifford is there intake... call erson or anybody else and have a custom ground cam for your app... only 125 for a custom cam from erson, less than a comp setup...

OK - my opinion only...if your set on making this a BB conversion don't spend the time or money on the 6 unless you have an unlimited budget and can afford 2 builds

2x....

Sorry,but I'm partial to the /6 movement !! You can shave the head (I've taken .090 off mine,WITHOUT checking for piston to valve clearances and adding 9:1 pistons),get one of the above named cams (Comp Cam) and have fun at a minimal investment !! The 440 is going to require far more headaches all the way around !!! I was always taught to KISS it !!! Keep It Simple Stupid

Sorry,but I'm partial to the /6 movement !! You can shave the head (I've taken .090 off mine,WITHOUT checking for piston to valve clearances and adding 9:1 pistons),get one of the above named cams (Comp Cam) and have fun at a minimal investment !! The 440 is going to require far more headaches all the way around !!! I was always taught to KISS it !!! Keep It Simple Stupid

Personally, I WOULD keep the \6, especially if I already had an intake, carb, + headers....BUT...I would not invest time, effort, + $$$ into an enigine I planned on using for a year (although that would put some lightly used parts on the market in a year...Hmm, maybe I should change my opinion, lol)

if your going to go big block in a year why bother messing withe six at all? seems like a waste of time and money.

ok guys. i really appreciate the opinions! the only reason i was asking to build this is because until im ready gonna do the BB conversion i plan to drive the car almost daily. plus i'm going to rack up a ton of miles on the highway without over stressing the motor.

the LSA sure is wide though on those... i mean i would think a 108 or even a 106 might be a little better...

Not for a low compression engine. The wide LSA actually reduces overlap and helps build cylinder pressure on low compression engines.

Mill the head, add the cam and all the performance parts you
already have and go have a years worth of FUN!
Milling the head and the cam cost very little for the fun you'll have
and you'll be driving instead of waiting on something better.
You can sell it to recoupe some bucks when you install the BB.

Don't even bother building the /6 go ahead and drop a stock BB in with the money you would spend on the six. Sell the six parts off for a little extra cash.

Just keep the motor running otherwise you're pissing money away. If you have desire to just blow some money away, you can always send it to me. I'll find a great way to use it :twisted:

-
Back