TO DROP OR NOT TO DROP

-
Read all about it.
And woop up on Porsches.

upload_2021-8-4_9-21-31.jpeg

Brick3s.jpg

mopar-chassis-jpg.jpg

I disagree with the above posts , I had a new 383 form S in 1968, it handled very well , I remember running off from a hugger camaro of the day , in the ozarks , he couldn`t come close to keeping up with me !
Bob, I do think you’ll agree that the same 383 barracuda you had then would get absolutely waxed on any road that isn’t straight by any number of pedestrian compact 4 doors of today. That was the comparison I was trying to make.

Setting the cars under consideration up for drag racing and appearance is very different from setting it up for handling.
Just wanted to point out the obvious.
Exactly why would someone think a pedestrian new car will "handle" better than a properly tuned and engined A body?
I really don't know.
New cars seemed to be more concerned with protecting idiot drivers in a crash than preventing the crash.
And cost of production must surely factor in the engineering of new cars.
Never have I been disappointed with my daily drivers or the torsion bar system.
I'm convinced these cars have helped me avoid disaster on the interstate more than once due to my driving error and avoiding debris at speed.

Exactly why would someone think a pedestrian new car will "handle" better than a properly tuned and engined A body?
Um? Because they do. I road race 3 different classes of vehicle. 2 of them stock classes. Where tires and safety equipment are the only allowed modifications. Even a “proporly tuned and engined” A body would get schooled and played with on track with any number of cars in the class. They just didn’t handle well at all. If you dont believe that, you’ve never driven a car that does handle well and actually used it to it’s potential. Yes absolutely an A body can be built to be a wicked corner carver, many have. I’m currently building one. But this conversation is about street cars, and the way these cars were built back then are no match for cars of today. A stock Honda Civic will run circles around your stock a body on any road that isn’t straight wether you believe it or not.

I stand corrected.
Front wheel drive is definitely the way to go.
Sarcasm. The ultimate reply when you run out of truth. It’s not about front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive. It’s the difference in 50-60 years of technology in tires, computers, brakes, machining, and everything else. The whole Point being, ride height needs to be dealt with accordingly when trying to make an old car handle more like todays standard of vehicle.

What's next?
ABS?
Oh. I missed that addition.
Think you mentioned that.
And computer's are driving the cars in question now?
Let's just say I haven't rolled my car over on the interstate yet , unlike Honda Civics.
Who's being sarcastic anyway?

Kinda strange how in today's world the car has to think for the driver.
In the old days and the days I learned to drive in.... you took the car out to a snowy, empty parking lot and got to know the car. Then when you drive, you're not dependent on cross drilled rotors, 6 anti sway bars and triple marshmallow air bags that come out of the console when you bump a curb.

You knew your car well and how to keep it between the ditches.

Kinda strange how in today's world the car has to think for the driver.
In the old days and the days I learned to drive in.... you took the car out to a snowy, empty parking lot and got to know the car. Then when you drive, you're not dependent on cross drilled rotors, 6 anti sway bars and triple marshmallow air bags that come out of the console when you bump a curb.

You knew your car well and how to keep it between the ditches.
I agree and absolutely hate the mindless drivers that are all over our roads here. Mostly due to stupid cell phones but also in part due to the fact that people have become way more reliant on the vehicle to drive for them. I’ll say this though, when I stab the brake pedal at 160mph I absolutely appreciate the cross drilled, slotted, carbon ceramic brakes on our Porsche. :lol:

Years back I bought a 67 383 4 speed Cuda and the PO has installed a 1 inch plus something ?front sway bar. It sure cornered well for a nose heavy car.
Mom said.. just because you might be an idiot, you don't have to drive like one"!
And the smart old guy said "know your machine and learn how to handle it"

No they don't. Not if they're driven as designed. They weren't built to take a curve like a Porsche. They were built to haul *** in a straight line and they do that well. I understand your point though, because I am modifying Vixen to be a good driver.

Imma disagree

And this is why.

And let's not forget Dan Gurney....

Imma disagree

And this is why.

And let's not forget Dan Gurney....

:rofl:
Things become clearer in the rear view mirror .
(If you get my drift.)

When we last ran, in 1997, we made a shot heard ‘round the world – posting a radar- clocked 163-MPH (uphill!) second-overall time at the NASCAR road course at Watkins Glen, NY – beating everything from the factory’s own Vipers, to Mallet’s killer “tuner” C-5 ‘Vette and Lingenfelter’s Firebird, as well as a slew of expensive Euro and Jap machinery.

Le Mans Champagne Story | Dan Gurney's All American Racers

Last edited:
Um? Because they do. I road race 3 different classes of vehicle. 2 of them stock classes. Where tires and safety equipment are the only allowed modifications. Even a “proporly tuned and engined” A body would get schooled and played with on track with any number of cars in the class. They just didn’t handle well at all. If you dont believe that, you’ve never driven a car that does handle well and actually used it to it’s potential. Yes absolutely an A body can be built to be a wicked corner carver, many have. I’m currently building one. But this conversation is about street cars, and the way these cars were built back then are no match for cars of today. A stock Honda Civic will run circles around your stock a body on any road that isn’t straight wether you believe it or not.

did you ever drive a brand new 68 formula S ??

Back in the day, raised cars looked stupid. People loved their air shocks. Your car isn't a damn mud bog 4x4.

did you ever drive a brand new 68 formula S ??
No, I was born in the wrong decade. I shoulda been born in 60, not 80. But I don’t need to drive a brand new formula S to know that they handled the same as almost every other undersprung, leaf spring, rubber bushing, bias ply tire equipped, A body I’ve driven. Just like a sailboat.

I used the complete front and rear RMS system and dropped it about 2/3 of the way. It is a different handling car now for sure but that was what I was looking for. I still love a 60’s rake though.

60CFABAA-DF03-4005-8303-F7B12836975B.jpeg

-
Back