To fill the tank or just leave it

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Question, which Im sure has been covered but I couldnt find anything thru the search function..

I need to put my car away for winter storage.. Should I top the tank off or just leave it where its at...1/4 tank. It will be stored indoors during the winter which the heat will be turned on and off thru out the winter but I cant afford to heat the garage all year so I usually only turn the heat on if I need to work in the garage.

Thanks for you input

I would fill it.

It takes longer for more volume to "spoil".

Gas is pretty cheap right now.

You will then have a full tank to start cruising next spring.

You can always put some stabil in it to keep it from going bad also.

Fill it & put in some fuel stabilizer.
As mentioned gas in cheaper than it has been in the summer so you might be glad it's full next spring.

stabilzer and fill it up. The tank interior walls with open space collect moisture during cold to warm air temp cycling.

Sta-Bil has a new product out to help protect the tank walls that are left uncovered by fuel.

I use the blue marine grade STABIL

They claim best to have full tank and since you will be heating then cooling the garage more likely to get condensation

I use Marine Stabil in my boat, car, and lawn stuff. Fill the tank for storage. Less alcohol is better.

http://www.theoutdoorline.com/blog/2010/10/07/Winterizing-Your-Boats-Fuel-System/

I'm able to buy ethonal free gas 2 miles from the house, that is what I use for long term storeage

Check out PUREGAS.ORG for pure gas. Just traveled to Pigion Forge last week and seen several places advertising 100% gas

If you can fill up with that before storeage would recommend it

Unless your car is like mine and needs more octane, filled the Dart with 110 before storing this year and still put blue STABIL in it for cheap insurance for the few gallons of gas that isn't pure gas........ LOL

-
Back