To rebuild or buy crate

-
Portland the land of homeless losers and garbage piles everywhere. Blueprint for the win.
View attachment 1716181642
Does saying mean things help you feel better about yourself?...
Portland engine rebuilders is now a private shop that moved out to the charboonneau exit of i5...
I'm happy...

IMG_20200728_163012.jpg

Does saying mean things help you feel better about yourself?...
Portland engine rebuilders is now a private shop that moved out to the charboonneau exit of i5...
I'm happy...

View attachment 1716181789
No it’s depressing, I goto visit my grandfather’s grave at willamette national cemetery on Veterans Day. It looks like a war zone over there, wouldn’t be so bad if people clean up after themselves.

No it’s depressing, I goto visit my grandfather’s grave at willamette national cemetery on Veterans Day. It looks like a war zone over there, wouldn’t be so bad if people clean up after themselves.
That's where my wife will eventually be because of her service and subsequently me as well...
Things have been getting a little better over the last few months, as the city's finally starting to get caught up with all the campers and messes, but it doesn't happen overnight...
It's a rough situation, no question about it. Not only for us citizens but those citizens as well..
Really, this is a different discussion for a different time in different place. This is about the best thing to do. As far as getting an engine rebuilt or buying one with a warranty. I can offer a place with old-timers. With some of the best multi-million dollar equipment locally...

I pondered this question 4 years ago when I decided to replace the 273 in my 66 Barracuda.

I ultimately decided to pull a 5.9 Magnum at a yard and rebuild it. My reason was I just wanted the satisfaction of doing it. In the end, I could have bought a crate engine for about the same cost, but I rebuilt the transmission and bought a PTC torque converter with the same funds.

I pulled the engine, tore it down to the short block and took it to s machine shop for:
Hot tank
Crank polish
Hone
New rings and bearings

Then I brought it home and installed the cam, heads, intake, etc, etc.

If I ever want a stroker in the future, I may give @Johnny Mac a call. Sure woul be a quick R&R!!!

I've had two friends buy crate engines (Chevy guys) from BluePrint. The first bought a 500hp 383 that scared the crap out of him. The second one bought a 400hp 350 and got the extended warranty that they offered on Black Friday. BOTH are very satisfied with their purchases. Thanks again to @Johnny Mac

Hey guys thought I would pass this by anyone who has the same question.....

I have this project I'm working on it's going to be a driver/ weekender.
Machine shop wants $12k to rebuild and dyno old block with new everything, then you see crate motors for for $6 - 7k like from Summit jegs or Blueprint.
Is it worth the 5- 6k difference for a custom build engine for a driver.
They say you get what you pay for so, are crate vendors building cheap motors with a warranty?
Not talking down any business, just wondering how they can do it.

Thanks.
Would help to know what engine? If it’s a big block, there’s no big block crate engines out there. If it’s small block then yeah go crate

Would help to know what engine? If it’s a big block, there’s no big block crate engines out there. If it’s small block then yeah go crate
Thats a good point too! With the new hemi's, it makes it a little harder to justify us looking at BB's, unless someone simply wants one, has numbers matching, etc. We can replace a B, RB, or even a high hp SB with a gen III at a better hp per dollar ratio, but I do admit....something just cool about a BB sometimes....well....all the time. Lol. But alas....our gen III's

Chrysler Compatible Hemi's - 426 c.i.

Thats a good point too! With the new hemi's, it makes it a little harder to justify us looking at BB's, unless someone simply wants one, has numbers matching, etc. We can replace a B, RB, or even a high hp SB with a gen III at a better hp per dollar ratio, but I do admit....something just cool about a BB sometimes....well....all the time. Lol. But alas....our gen III's

All true and valid points. But it’s like putting an LS into a Chevy Camaro. Sure, it’s fast, sure it’s “cheaper” but those cars anymore have become so common place that most of the time, they’re getting walked by at car shows. No one wants to see computer sensors and plastic valve covers on every car.

Plus there’s just something cool about an old school Big block.

not to mention all the crap that it takes to make a late model hemi run right .....not for me !

I appreciate all the responses.

I'm really surprised that so many pick going crate engine, I thought the car guy choice would have been to rebuild just to get you own hands on it.
I can see how these days so many variables make the deciding factor.
COST, time, ease and scheduling to just go with a crate.

My buddy and I are going to pick apart the quote a decide the best route for him.

Thanks everyone.
John.

I appreciate all the responses.

I'm really surprised that so many pick going crate engine, I thought the car guy choice would have been to rebuild just to get you own hands on it.
I can see how these days so many variables make the deciding factor.
COST, time, ease and scheduling to just go with a crate.

My buddy and I are going to pick apart the quote a decide the best route for him.

Thanks everyone.
John.
I hope it turns our great whichever you choose. If he wants to spend 12k. I can sell him two. Lol

In all seriousness....a "rebuild" on a stock 302 would be advantageous if your buddy had to have the numbers matching block, and the builder was saving him some money on reusing things with obvious life left like the crank. I don't see a point in Building a clone of bone stock 302, out of supposedly new parts...unless he wants stock like performance....again in which case, seems like a hefty price to pay for a sub 200 horse 302, and if that's what your buddy wants....why 12k? If it was fully forged, performance build, sure.

Again hope everything works out regardless of what he does. Sounds like a nice truck. Those broncos have really exploded in popularity

Screenshot_20231225_174654_Chrome.jpg

-
Back