To Stroker a 360 or Not

-
I have a 418 that i over built for my street driven dart. The power is there to slam you into the seat. Reality is "do I really need that power to cruise?"

Not really, but it is fun at times to feel the torque and scare the neighbour's measly little 327 camaro

Yeah, I have run 3.23 3.73 and 4.10, for mostly street driving the 3.73 was the best.

Alrighty then, that was a lot of numbers that went over my head. But I got the gist of the comparison. So it appears that there is a major difference between a stroked 360 and a 318 with just a cam. I wonder what that means it practical terms. How far behind will the 318 be in a quarter mile run?
What numbers?
The idea of the video was to show the power spread between the two engines.
There is a 45 cubic inch difference between the two.
The spread between the 318 and a 360 is 42 cubic inches. You'll never see the difference in 3 inches.

In a 1/4 mile run, the 360 built the same otherwise will kill it. The 408 kills and buries it. Actual time/distance difference. That is basically an impossible thing to say due to the verity of differences. OE s just say it will be noticeable (360) to VERY noticeable (408).

a 3.91 gear sucks on the highway compared to a 2.94 or 3.23..

Yes it does.... Sounds great going under bridges lol.... Might as well go 4:30 IMO since it ain't that much different at cruising speeds. Drone, drone, drone lol...

JW

OP find some mechanics who like to get into trouble.... Secondly, flog what you got for a while and have fun....

Lastly, I would stroke that baby. The money amount ain't that much different and there will be room to grow. Who knows, you might buy a stump puller and use the motor in that....

JW

Send out your distributor and have it recurved with a good street strip curve ..... toss the 750 they are way too big and run a 570cfm street avenger (ran one on my teen to the tune of 350hp and 380 ft/lbs 6100 on an engine dyno 318 .040 up, 9.5 to 1, 302 castings 1.84 intake valve 1.6 exhaust, comp cams Magnum 270H, Airgap and 1 5/8 tri y's..... the Petronix dizzy's with vac good value or if budget allows msd ..... factory units good pieces but cost you about the same by the time you disassemble buy after market parts and pay for labor to recurve professionally ..... if it hasn't been done you will spin out with this mod alone ...... too many people skimp on their ignition and induction

Keep the 750 for now and do not spend the money on a carb you'll never need again. Save the 750 for the 360 or the 408.

Run the teen and build a stroker on the side. I went from a 360 with a crane 285 cam and home ported 596 heads to a 410 with aluminum heads and the same crane 285 cam... NIGHT and DAY difference. Even used the same intake manifold and 650 Demon carb. (410 would really like a bigger carb). The torque, even with 3.23 gears is unreal. You won't regret it, at all if you go stroker. :thumbsup:

What about the car? All the sweet 600cid blown alcohol Hemi's in the world would suck in a a chassis that can neither stop nor handle. If the car is new to you then I suggest getting to know it. You don't ask your new girlfriend for a boob job on the second date so why be dreaming of a 408?

Intended use?

Realistic budget?

I will also tell you that unless you are going for a track only car, there's a limits to the streets you drive on and how much power you can put down and have fun with.

Keep the 750 for now and do not spend the money on a carb you'll never need again. Save the 750 for the 360 or the 408.
thought he wanted to go fast...... with the right curve and appropriate carb that teen will wake up if it has a true 9.5 : 1 ...... the 750 vac secondaries are junk unless you add a secondary metering block, quick change diaphragm and to get the transition and cruise mixtures right is a nightmare ..... better off calling Patrick at Prosystems and getting a 700 annular carb ..... put one on a 360 edelbrock headed with a baby comp cams street roller and airgap and went 465 ft/lbs and 477 horse at 6400 the 750 r3110 was a turd as well on this engine ..... if your going to build a big inch small block or even a stout 360 dig deep and save your coin and plan ..... it's not as ezy as picking parts of a shelf and banging them together ..... in saying that definitely get your dizzy curved try your 750 , then if you can get your hands on a 570 vac secondaries or a 600 or 650 pumper try that in for size I will bet my first child that it will blow your mind compared to where you are now or even where a bunch of coin and all the time in the work will get you with that 750 they are JUNKKKKKKKKKK

What about the car? All the sweet 600cid blown alcohol Hemi's in the world would suck in a a chassis that can neither stop nor handle. If the car is new to you then I suggest getting to know it. You don't ask your new girlfriend for a boob job on the second date so why be dreaming of a 408?

Intended use?

Realistic budget?

I will also tell you that unless you are going for a track only car, there's a limits to the streets you drive on and how much power you can put down and have fun with.
Is that why I got slapped? I figured a boob job would be a good thing!

Power to the pavement is a tricky issue. If you want it, you'll have to do a lot of figuring.

A lot of how much of how much power your willing to live with and how it acts on the street is up to you. Some guys cry and whine like stuck pigs and they only have 400 hp. I don't understand.

@360-904 You just wrote a ton of garbage. He can live with the 750 for now and save the money on the smaller carb he will use only once and get rid of for the 360 or 408.

Look, I know it is EZ to spend other people's money and give dumb *** advice that will never effect while giving a reasonable reply that makes sense for other reasons all of which do not apply to the OP's (possible) future build or yourself.

But you just go on yapping like a wee little lap dog. Have fun. Keep justifying.
Go on, show the world how right you are. You deserve the spot light.

Intended use?

Realistic budget?

That's hilarious! I would not ask for the boob job, at that point I'm probably just feeling them out. Kinda like the car I guess. It seems to be fine, sometimes I hear sounds that don't sound right; sqeaks and rattles, a little shaky and bumpy. But it stops & turns well.

I sincerely thank you gentlemen. It seems that there is a big enough power difference in what I have and what I am considering. The other idea I take away from your advice is that I am going to take time to learn the car, perhaps another six months or until I can gather $2,000.00 more, whichever comes first.

@360-904 You just wrote a ton of garbage. He can live with the 750 for now and save the money on the smaller carb he will use only once and get rid of for the 360 or 408.

Look, I know it is EZ to spend other people's money and give dumb *** advice that will never effect while giving a reasonable reply that makes sense for other reasons all of which do not apply to the OP's (possible) future build or yourself.

But you just go on yapping like a wee little lap dog. Have fun. Keep justifying.
Take it ezy rumble fish .... by any chance is your middle name 'Gooba' cos that is what you are ...... it's dudes like you when asked how a posi trac on Plymouth super bird work you answer "it just does!!!""" Hahaha LMAO Gooba !!!!!

And get a haircut you Mess ...... LMAO ......Gooooooba!!!!

IMG_3872.jpg

Take your time and tinker with what you have now. Fill your library before your garage. Learn and plan this out. It's going to need service over the entire vehicle to handle 100+ hp. You can learn a lot on this forum about tuning carbs, checking plugs, setting up ignition, etc.

Take your time and tinker with what you have now. Fill your library before your garage. Learn and plan this out. It's going to need service over the entire vehicle to handle 100+ hp. You can learn a lot on this forum about tuning carbs, checking plugs, setting up ignition, etc.
Finally someone with some words of wisdom & common sense .... well said !!!! ✌

Who knew your middle name is Gooba?

I say go with the "strokered 360".
Sounds like bad ***.
Tell your oil changer guy to shut up and go stand in the corner.

Torque is how quick you get to that "same speed"...and that's what counts here when "strokereding" a small block. You can even build the stroker towards running LESS gear while still making a ton more torque.
Regardless...if you build for what you have...the idea everything has to be adjusted or changed is about as solid as a fart.

And that's Mr. Goober from Havana Cuba to you guyz!
:lol:

You don't know what your rear gears are but you're asking if you should put in a stroker?

Figure your car out man. Then you will know what needs work. If the car doesn't hook with the 318, what good is a stroker 408? If the 318 does not run well. Get that sorted first. If you don't know what rear gears are in it. How do you even know its a 318? Did you actually look at the casting numbers? Or are you just going off what the previous owner said? If you don't know the gear ratio do you even know what rear end it has? 7-1/4? 8-1/4? 8-3/4? If it's the first two and you drop some 500tq stroker in, good-bye rear end.

Does the 318 run well and strong? If yes. Leave it and find out what exactly your car has. You should know every nut and bolt on it. If no. Then work on tuning and getting it running properly. And no, a 750 carb isn't too big. You can make a 750 run great on a 318. Once the 318 is running strong. Then figure out what's going on with your car.

You need direction. Not a new motor. Figure out what you want the car to BE. Whether street/strip. Classic muscle. Street beast. Strip with friday night cruising. Daily driver. A mix of any of those. Etc etc. Or you'll just keep spending money because you don't have a set goal.

-
Back