Today, dollar for dollar, is the 318 faster than the 340 ???

would you agree ?

• yep, the 318 wins if buying and building for under 3k

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • Nope, the 340 always has and always will beat the 318

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Actually, never thought about it like this... Good Point !

Votes: 10 8.7%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a picture from a bench racing session last night. Not sure which one of us had the faster combo. I was rocking some Kentucky Rabbit finished in a sherry cask. The bottle was small no doubt, but it was wound tight and produced some serious knock your Dick in dirt HP. But then…..was it torque actually and not HP? Totally not related, but you guys opened it with beer combos! Hah! Happy Friday all, run what ya brung! Just don’t leak in your lane!

View attachment 1715777058

Very nice selection of beverages to enjoy while bench racing. :thumbsup:

Just a picture from a bench racing session last night. Not sure which one of us had the faster combo. I was rocking some Kentucky Rabbit finished in a sherry cask. The bottle was small no doubt, but it was wound tight and produced some serious knock your Dick in dirt HP. But then…..was it torque actually and not HP? Totally not related, but you guys opened it with beer combos! Hah! Happy Friday all, run what ya brung! Just don’t leak in your lane!

View attachment 1715777058
Pizza looks good... :)

Come join us over at the 360 vs 383 thread. :D
Tell me how superior the 360 is to the 383. lol :BangHead:

Notice something over there??? Notice 2 things???? .......

1. Nobody is accusing the other of hating an engine... very polite and informative conversation.
  2. See what happens when you leave the 340 guys out??? :poke:

318 vs 340 = 318 sucks - 22 cid smaller, 0.13" less bore and heads that don't make as much power.
360 vs 383 = 360 better cause - 23 cid smaller, 0.25" less bore and heads that don't makes as much power.
Makes no sense lol.

Man this forum is getting as bad as Moparts.

^^^ This is NOT a good thing.
Over there if you can not afford to spend the money to buy a new Hemi block and all the parts to build it, you're gutter trash.
They constantly put budget street guys down.
If you disagree with one of the "Holy Gurus" you get called names like Fagot or the N word.

The question of running about the same car makes sense to a point.
Would any of you agree you could take a 1965 273 4bb Commando and put it in a totally race preped 2021 NHRA 'Pro Stock' car and beat any 100% factory stock 1968-71 340 Duster?
Might even do it with Richard Holdner's or UT's \6. Nah...

Both cars ready to run but NO ENGINE, just the body with trans... So if both cars are even preped, no 4.88 gears in one and 2.94's in the other, just say like 3.23/3.54 or 3.91/4.10's differences. Stock type trans, no Linco 20 speeds with air shift, so a 904/727 or 883. No long ladder bar or $$$ 4 link's, slapper bars or Caltrak's are OK.

Now given the $3000, pick a 318 or a 340, NOTHING ELSE. Then you must BUY all parts, new or used, including paint, nuts and bolts or a running core if you want. No FREE'bs, everything paid for at fair market. No W2's or tunnel ram from the back of the garage.

How hard is this to understand?

The 340 guy's be like " winning is winning " it doesn't matter if it's an inch or a 1/4 mile. lol
The 3000 dollar 318 either win's by an inch or losses by an inch.

The question of running about the same car makes sense to a point.
Would any of you agree you could take a 1965 273 4bb Commando and put it in a totally race preped 2021 NHRA 'Pro Stock' car and beat any 100% factory stock 1968-71 340 Duster?
Might even do it with Richard Holdner's or UT's \6. Nah...

Both cars ready to run but NO ENGINE, just the body with trans... So if both cars are even preped, no 4.88 gears in one and 2.94's in the other, just say like 3.23/3.54 or 3.91/4.10's differences. Stock type trans, no Linco 20 speeds with air shift, so a 904/727 or 883. No long ladder bar or $$$ 4 link's, slapper bars or Caltrak's are OK.

Now given the $3000, pick a 318 or a 340, NOTHING ELSE. Then you must BUY all parts, new or used, including paint, nuts and bolts or a running core if you want. No FREE'bs, everything paid for at fair market. No W2's or tunnel ram from the back of the garage.

How hard is this to understand?
To see the difference of two engines, then running them on the dyno the same day is pretty accurate. However, it's amazing that some think the car needs to be "prepped" to fill the bill of the 340. Is that any difference than prepping the car with the 318?? Wouldn't they both be prepped the same anyways? Funny thing to me is that I really..... honestly... didn't see the controversy in this topic. I saw it as "has the lowly 318 in todays market become the smarter choice for a mild budget build?" I bet we could have had the Ford 302 vs 351C discussion just the same and no "hatred" would have been tossed around. Without the "dedicated fan", it becomes a realistic topic. But I tell ya, it's like the day when a Duster brings more money than an E body.. LOOKOUT !!!!

P.S. - when I was running 340's, I never looked down on a 318 car, nor did I look up to a 440 car. They were mopars to me.

I’m going to go pet my therapy dog after reading this train wreck. Some of you guys better straighten up or I’m going to knock you down and kick you for falling.

I’m going to go pet my therapy dog after reading this train wreck. Some of you guys better straighten up or I’m going to knock you down and kick you for falling.

When I was a telephone repair tech I carried a couple tennis balls and about 5 'Milkbone dog biskets. You need every advantage to make it out the gate with Rufas hot on your heels.

^^^ This is NOT a good thing.
Over there if you can not afford to spend the money to buy a new Hemi block and all the parts to build it, you're gutter trash.
They constantly put budget street guys down.
If you disagree with one of the "Holy Gurus" you get called names like Fagot or the N word.

All but a handful since I started building engines when I was 13 in 1978, have been dirt road budget builds. I'm used to being made fun of. I've beat the socks slam off some much more expensive builds, too, so I don't feel bad.

P.S. - when I was running 340's, I never looked down on a 318 car, nor did I look up to a 440 car. They were mopars to me.

I like all engine builds especially low dollar ones, I would never go up to someone and say you should of built X instead of Y, I’d just appreciate what they done.

People forget it’s up to the person to build whatever they for whatever reason, not everyone has to follow your build philosophy. Personally to me I don’t understand the 408 craze for the most part, Mother Mopar created us some nice big blocks to work with but I’ll help if I can even though I think money would be better spend on a big block.

22” is 22” that’s to big a hill to climb all else being the same.

Not really a 340 is 7% bigger so a 318 would basically need to make power 7% higher rpm so if a 340 makes peak at 5500 rpm a 318 would need to at 5900 ish rpm. Obviously this is just a gross oversimplification eg. If the 340 is a bad put together combo and the is done well the rpm difference could be close and if the opposite the rpm could be further apart. As for torque that’s what gears are for.

So this means my race built 138 (2.2 1.5mm over) in a 2000 pound car can not over come 202 more cubes?

Yes it is about 3/4 maxed out for Non Turbo. And even with the Qualf diff I'd spin off line with a 3.87 R&P and 3.29 First gear, 12.73:1 starting ratio.

If I really need to go faster I have a whole shelf of turbo stuff and know how to use it with E85

Last edited:
but I don't think all would be the same...... I think for the 3k, the 318 would have a few more heavy hitting components. Like for the price of the 340 core, I'd have fully assembled promaxx heads for the 318. I think the 340 guys is probably going to end up running the cast heads because of the cost of the engine, meaning he spent too much of the budget buying the 340. The promaxx heads alone at rpm are going to more than make up the 22 cubes at rpm, in my opinion.

but I don't think all would be the same...... I think for the 3k, the 318 would have a few more heavy hitting components. Like for the price of the 340 core, I'd have fully assembled promaxx heads for the 318. I think the 340 guys is probably going to end up running the cast heads because of the cost of the engine, meaning he spent too much of the budget buying the 340. The promaxx heads alone at rpm are going to more than make up the 22 cubes at rpm, in my opinion.
I said all things the same. Of course if you put good heads on one and stock on the other it’ll be better for the good head engine. The only initial price difference is the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back